Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
That’s like saying Menace and Boyz in the Hood shoulda had cacs in ‘em. This ain’t the story bro

Colombo shooter was black, I agree that most of his movies like to ignore brothers tho
Those movies took place in the hood, specifically. There were black and Hispanic people living in little Italy.

Fortunate Lee

Superstar
Daps
Those movies took place in the hood, specifically. There were black and Hispanic people living in little Italy.
It’s based on a book..I’m sure Sheeran didn’t mention black people in that..I did see some black actors during the union scenes with Hoffa

Scorsese is no Tarantino when it comes to casting brothers AND sisters tho, that’s for damn sure

I doubt he’ll ever do a Jackie Brown type of flick

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
You sound like a teenage girl who thinks the Billboard top 10 equals quality
This wasn't even a top 10 Scorcese film. If he has the balls to shyt on marvel, he should have the balls to make a movie that would top a marvel flick in this present day and age. :troll:

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
It’s based on a book..I’m sure Sheeran didn’t mention black people in that..I did see some black actors during the union scenes with Hoffa

Scorsese is no Tarantino when it comes to casting brothers AND sisters tho, that’s for damn sure

I doubt he’ll ever do a Jackie Brown type of flick
Sorry, I'm not a cac sympathizer. None of these old cacs were relatable. While it was a dry dark drama with a decent plot and great dialogue. It was aight. The Mandalorian was more relatable than Frank Sheeran. Scorsese needs to come harder if he wants to shyt on Marvel.

Favreau >> Scorcese when it comes to streaming flicks.

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La

After saying Marvel movies are “not cinema,” a stance that sparked much discourse online, filmmaker Martin Scorsese clarifies superhero movies are not what he considers to be cinema. Scorsese first expressed that original commentary when promoting gangster epic The Irishman, telling Empire Magazine, “I don’t see them. I tried, you know? But that’s not cinema. Honestly, the closest I can think of them, as well made as they are, with actors doing the best they can under the circumstances, is theme parks. It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being.” Positioned to elaborate on Popcorn with Peter Travers, Scorsese explained superhero movies are not “what [cinema] is to me.”

“It might be cinema to the kids seeing those films, but I don’t get it,” Scorsese said. “Or least let me put it this way: I’ve seen one or two, that’s enough. Because it’s the same thing over and over, you know?”

Asked to provide his definition of cinema, Scorsese answered, “I think what makes cinema, to me… ultimately, it’s something that, for some reason, stays with you so that a few years later you can watch it again. Or ten years later you watch it again, and it’s different. In other words, there’s more to learn about yourself, or about life. That’s interesting.”

For Scorsese, his biggest concern is the matter of franchise films taking over theaters.

“I looked at the theaters, and most of the theaters are playing superhero films. I said, ‘So what’s left? Do we have any theaters left for a movie?’” he said of the lengthy process to get The Irishman made before it was picked up by Netflix. “Those movies are fine, it’s not my thing, and I’ve tried over the years to watch some of the stuff. And I lost interest, a great deal of interest. But in any event, I thought it was time for us to think about, what constitutes cinema?”

Scorsese earlier defended his position in an op-ed piece penned for The New York Times, where Scorsese said it was character — not thrills, shocks or set pieces — that drew audiences to the films of Alfred Hitchcock and his contemporaries.

“Many of the elements that define cinema as I know it are there in Marvel pictures. What’s not there is revelation, mystery or genuine emotional danger. Nothing is at risk,” Scorsese wrote. “The pictures are made to satisfy a specific set of demands, and they are designed as variations on a finite number of themes.”

The filmmaker then added Marvel movies are “everything that the films of Paul Thomas Anderson or Claire Denis or Spike Lee or Ari Aster or Kathryn Bigelow or Wes Anderson are not.”

“At first you may find that, ‘I’m affected by this film, the camera work is amazing, the actors are terrific, great editing,’ and that sort of thing. But after a certain amount of time, after you get enough of that,” Scorsese told Travers. “For example, Shoot the Piano Player, [François] Truffaut — I thought that was the best. But after a while I realized it’s Jules and Jim. It’s got more depth, you can watch it repeatedly, and you can watch it at different times in your life. The films are the same, you change.”
:russ:

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Irishman went to Netflix because it's not cinema. :yeshrug:The avengers and black panther topped box office making over a billion in sales.
I don't think you get what he meant by "cinema".
Check out the high praise it has been getting from critics with some calling it a classic or masterpiece.
The Irishman - Movie Reviews

Box office doesn't determine if a movie is good or not. Look at the AFI top 100. Most of the those movies did not set the box office on fire.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If it takes place in the US we should be in that joint. We over 11-13% of the population. Every 9th to 10th person walking by in the background should be Black. lol
We weren't really welcomed in the areas that film took place.

Daps
Check out the high praise it has been getting from critics with some calling it a classic or masterpiece.

Box office doesn't determine if a movie is good or not. Look at the AFI top 100. Most of the those movies did not set the box office on fire.

he’s being sarcastic and showing the issue with using an arbitrary definition of the word “cinema.”

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics

Critics only matter when it's one of their kiddie movies :russ: Pay these dudes no mind, they still tight about this months later :mjlol: