Marshall Mathers LP, top 5 hip hop album ?

Pinyapplesuckas

He's A Good Man
Daps
Reppin
Willacoochee, Ga
11v1atw.jpg

Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Good grief, I can't imagine someone being a fan of the art and not a weirdo stan seriously asserting this as a top 5 album in hip hop history. So bizarre. His fans seem to be on some 10 year old girl who can't get over how much she and her friends loved Menudo or New Kids On The Block way back when shyt. Between Outkast, Mobb Deep, Tribe, and Wu Tang's group and solo albums there are at least a dozen I'd listen to before a single Eminem album. Dude is a beastly spitter who became a cultural novelty act, made a couple interesting albums, and a bunch of truly lamentable ones. Some of the songs he has made over the past decade have truly been among the most shockingly terrible songs I've heard from a talented rapper, ever, period. At this point he's the white hip hop version of what Lenny Kravitz was in rock. I mean, top fukking 5? You just can't know or appreciate much about the history and context of great rap albums and fix your mouth and mind to say some shyt like that. Rakim, and KRS have at least 4 albums between them better than anything Eminem has ever made. I can't imagine having any of his albums on a top 50 list unless I was some Johnny-come-lately, underexposed doofus or someone with a cliche eurocentric bent.

inndaskKy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Top 10 is stretching it. But what's more interesting to note is that claiming an Eminem album is top 10 will be ridiculed and it will be (imo rightly) pointed out that Pac, Big, Wu Tang etc. have a few undeniable classics that have to be put before it. However, with Jay-z people always sneak in either the Blueprint or RD as if that album can hang with those certified classics. And people always let it slide that it is claimed that he has a top 10 album. Imo, mmlp is clearly a better album and more certified than any Jay-z album although Jay-z's propaganda hasn't been without effect and has slightly skewed this perception. The point is, if Jigga gets a pass just because he's so popular and succesful, so should Eminem. Mmlp was at least as lyrical, better produced and more impactful than the Blueprint and RD.

desp

SO MUCH FUN
Daps
Good grief, I can't imagine someone being a fan of the art and not a weirdo stan seriously asserting this as a top 5 album in hip hop history. So bizarre. His fans seem to be on some 10 year old girl who can't get over how much she and her friends loved Menudo or New Kids On The Block way back when shyt. Between Outkast, Mobb Deep, Tribe, and Wu Tang's group and solo albums there are at least a dozen I'd listen to before a single Eminem album. Dude is a beastly spitter who became a cultural novelty act, made a couple interesting albums, and a bunch of truly lamentable ones. Some of the songs he has made over the past decade have truly been among the most shockingly terrible songs I've heard from a talented rapper, ever, period. At this point he's the white hip hop version of what Lenny Kravitz was in rock. I mean, top fukking 5? You just can't know or appreciate much about the history and context of great rap albums and fix your mouth and mind to say some shyt like that. Rakim, and KRS have at least 4 albums between them better than anything Eminem has ever made. I can't imagine having any of his albums on a top 50 list unless I was some Johnny-come-lately, underexposed doofus or someone with a cliche eurocentric bent.
:wow: Thread finished

Buggsy Mogues

My spot is solidified if you ask me
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
City of Angels :blessed:
I can't fukk with these dudes who try to downplay Em cause he's white. He has been co-signed from basically every notable rapper alive today as one of the GAWD's of the game. MMLP is top 10 for sure.

mrken12

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
Hell no. It doesn't age well at all.

I put that shyt on my Spotify playlist a couple of weeks ago (along with The Eminem Show, 8 Mile Sdtk., and Slim Shady LP) and while some of those songs went hard, most of that shyt has aged TERRIBLY. And as good as it was lyrically, Em wasn't saying much of any substance throughout that whole album; of course, that's been the main problem with his whole career... he's really not rapping about shyt.

The best version of Eminem was the 8 Mile version.

I agree. He almost never says anything of substance. That's why I can't view him as a top 10 rapper. How many times do I have to hear him make cheesy pop culture references, talk about drugs, talk about how much he hates his wife and mother, or make some wild comment just to be controversial?

Prae

Pro
Daps
I can kind of see how people say that album hasn't aged well, especially the beats and choruses, but it still sounds dope imo. And the people complaining that he isn't saying much probably have Illmatic in their top 5 easy, if not #1 - and we all know Nas isn't really saying anything of substance either. Albums like Doggystyle and The Chronic also aren't saying a whole lot. Outkast's albums aren't really saying shyt, they just sound smooth as fukk. Some music is just fun to listen to, not everything has to have some profound lyrics in order to be great.

Re-check songs like Stan, Remember Me, Marshall Mathers, The Way I Am, Kim, some of Who Knew - he's clearly addressing certain subject on those tracks and isn't just spitting a bunch of gibberish. It's not like Em can't make tracks without substance, because he has done it multiple times. If I Had, Rock Bottom, Say Goodbye Hollywood, No Apologies, Mosh off the top of my head.

Last edited: