Mark Cuban Believes The NBA Would Have Embraced Colin Kaepernick's Anthem Protest

#SOG_soldier

New York knicks and phoenix suns stan
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
If Patrick beverly protested the national.anthem all 82 games Steve ballmer not gonna do a damn thing. Like I said pr means everything especially right now. If the nba tried to do this to one of their players every stadium would be surrounded by liberal arts majors with signs. And every player would call out the owners

SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
The NBAPA would definitely have rode for Kap.......and the current head Michelle Roberts likely would have been in Silver's ear like :ufdup:

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Let's be real here, the NFL isn't ran by a gay liberal commissioner. It's ran by a staunch, conservative racist and that right there sets the tone for how the rest of the league to follow. Look how conservative the NBA was under Stern vs Silver. The commissioner sets the tone of the league.

The times have changed. David Stern only left in 2014.

The NBA has a better union, the players have much more power and leverage.

The NFL owners are mostly all white rich conservative leaning men... and the NFLPA is the worst union in professional sports. It's kind of a microcosm of America's workforce at large. States that are anti-union i.e. "right to work" are Republican led states and the states with union prescense have higher wages and those are in more traditional Democratic states.

Also, Larry O'Brien, David Stern's predecessor, was a member of the Democrats and a JFK/LBJ operative/cabinet member. So there's that...

Last edited:

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Common sense. Most people who watch basketball are either sjws or non white. Punishing players for protestING right now would be a horrible move pr wise for the nba:yeshrug:
I think that's really the whole difference. The mindset of the NBA owner probably isn't much different than that of an NFL owner. Difference is they are marketing to completely different fan bases.

Plus I think the NFL has reached a point where they just don't give a fukk about PR anymore. They're firmly established enough they know they can do anything and people are still going to come back and watch it.

I think with the NBA having an ownership base that skews younger they understand PR a little better. They know the quicker you can jump on top of the issue the quicker it'll disappear from the news cycle. I forgot who in the media said it but someone just signing Kaep would've made this whole issue disappear a lot sooner with a lot less of an uproar than letting it drag out and gain momentum.

#SOG_soldier

New York knicks and phoenix suns stan
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
I think that's really the whole difference. The mindset of the NBA owner probably isn't much different than that of an NFL owner. Difference is they are marketing to completely different fan bases.

Plus I think the NFL has reached a point where they just don't give a fukk about PR anymore. They're firmly established enough they know they can do anything and people are still going to come back and watch it.

I think with the NBA having an ownership base that skews younger they understand PR a little better. They know the quicker you can jump on top of the issue the quicker it'll disappear from the news cycle. I forgot who in the media said it but someone just signing Kaep would've made this whole issue disappear a lot sooner with a lot less of an uproar than letting it drag out and gain momentum.
Yup the nba owners not dumb they not gonna piss off the talent and the fanbase..NFL owners look foolish. I don't care how racist I am, if kap gonna help us win I'm grabbing him up in a second

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
Not one WNBA player paid a fine. The NBA players paid the first one then Adam silver rescinded the penalties. I believe he allowed the WNBA to continue to wear those shirts.

I remember the teams being fined but not the NBA players paying for the girls' fines. I'll assume that is correct as they rescinded the fines days later.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
wearing a tshirt a couple times is different than not standing for the anthem 82 times.....they got on chris jackson's ass after 2 games and still blackballed him when he stood facing away from the flag...if you really think they wouldnt have done the same shyt to kaep, you tripping.....

this is just cuban trying to sell the nba as the more 'progressive' league to get more money, nothing more, nothing less....cause no matter what the nfl goes through, it's still king when it comes to money...

He didn't get blackballed for that. The critiques for that lasted all of maybe a week. They said "you have to stand" he said, "I'll just turn my back and recite a prayer". And it was never even brought up again. He got blackballed for being an assh0le that no one wanted to deal with anymore... a la Jr Rider. He didn't even play like he gave a F after that...Reef & Deke also had their rituals during the anthem.

horizon

Veteran
Daps
which is why, of course, you saw so many players kneeling during the national anthem last year and why the Clippers sat out their games instead of continuing to play after the Donald Sterling shyt went public

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
and the 'full of shyt' award goes to: mark cuban......cause he's full of shyt with this...the nba has a rule stating players have to stand for the anthem, so kaep wouldve been fined/suspended after the first couple games he tried this.....act like chris jackson doesnt exist....

same cuban who didnt want sterling to be removed fom nba? If a black kid wearing hoodie I GTFO looking ass :mjpls:

Wonder if Cuban would cross the street if Kaep in a hoodie was walking past him though
full

Welp, close thread...

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He didn't get blackballed for that. The critiques for that lasted all of maybe a week. They said "you have to stand" he said, "I'll just turn my back and recite a prayer". And it was never even brought up again. He got blackballed for being an assh0le that no one wanted to deal with anymore... a la Jr Rider. He didn't even play like he gave a F after that...Reef & Deke also had their rituals during the anthem.

what?...he did get blackballed for his protest & speaking out...his protest against the anthem lasted as long as he was playing because at first he was sitting...then they compromised and he stood & turned his back to the flag...so everytime he did that, it was talked about and why he was doing it.....the min the league got a chance to get rid of his ass, they did....he was a free agent and no one signed him cause like you said: 'he was an a$$hole'....seriously, an a$$hole? lol...if you can play, they dont give a fukk if you an a$$hole, and he could play....the same shyt is happening with kaep and the excuses that 'he's lost it, and just not that good of a qb anymore', as to why he's not signed....they will use whatever reason not to sign you to hide the fact they blackballing you so they cant be sued...

the same shyt happened with criag hodges after he started speaking out and what he pulled with bush at the white house....the min his contract was up, all of a sudden 'he couldnt play anymore', so no one signed him, even though he was still one of the best shooters in the league at the time....

as for keef & deke: yes, they had rituals after chris jackson did his, but they worked theirs out with the league....they went to the league and came up with their rituals, which werent deemed disrespectful, like his....

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
He's right though. NBA players have way more leverage ( power, guarantee contracts, etc) than NFL players.
And the majority of them stayed silent, the WNBA showed more balls than the NBA. I still remember LeBron playing dumb about Tamir Rice.