Man Turns Down A Half Billion Dollar Buyout Of His Company To Stay Black Owned

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
His company isn't bringing in millions on that level though. He's selling for the brand.

Thats the thing.

Its like when Instagram sold for a billion. They weren't selling for actual value, but customer base.

A lot of big vanity brands are starting to tailor to blacks as a consumer base, but its not because his products are driving that much unique value.

With these App companies it makes sense to cash out since 90% of them dont have business models that actually make money, so Cash out from the hype then use that bread to make something sustainable. His company at least has a chance to branch out and become an overall Mens hygiene or even "Lifestyle" company, so I dont knock him.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
With these App companies it makes sense to cash out since 90% of them dont have business models that actually make money, so Cash out from the hype then use that bread to make something sustainable. His company at least has a chance to branch out and become an overall Mens hygiene or even "Lifestyle" company, so I dont knock him.
Essentially...

Tristan is lucky he has a product, but he's purely on a subscription model which can't sustain him too much longer. He's not even on Blue Apron status.

He's basically the Dollar Shave club for black people...with the same products they were using.

He needs to diversify their offerings beyond shaving to everything "black" mens grooming to even have a long term chance IMO.

He's got more advertising and hype than product turn around right now.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Essentially...

Tristan is lucky he has a product, but he's purely on a subscription model which can't sustain him too much longer. He's not even on Blue Apron status.

He's basically the Dollar Shave club for black people...with the same products they were using.

He needs to diversify their offerings beyond shaving to everything "black" mens grooming to even have a long term chance IMO.

He's got more advertising and hype than product turn around right now.

Thats the issue black companies have, lack of foresight. Look at Bronner brothers in ATL. You would think they would be a Natural Hair juggernaut but they still selling strictly Perms, and Wave grease and crap like that. Often times we just get comfy where we are at then get left behind. I dont knock him not selling as long as he has a plan to create growth and be sustainable.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Thats the issue black companies have, lack of foresight. Look at Bronner brothers in ATL. You would think they would be a Natural Hair juggernaut but they still selling strictly Perms, and Wave grease and crap like that. Often times we just get comfy where we are at then get left behind. I dont knock him not selling as long as he has a plan to create growth and be sustainable.
I've always said I'm never truly impressed with black hair care success...because its still limiting.

Its not something that can't be replaced or outdone by someone just slapping a label on something or someone with better supply chain management.

We don't even own original inventions or patents in the sphere.

I mean, what are we talking about here? Just the same old cosmetic shyt. Theres nothing about true disruptions in other industries or inventions that are truly irreplaceable or irreproducible.

Kingshango

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
On one hand:salute: for staying true and not selling out.

On the other hand, that's 500 million.:patrice:

But on the flip side, making the right moves he could make that 500 mil on his own.:jbhmm:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I've always said I'm never truly impressed with black hair care success...because its still limiting.

Its not something that can't be replaced or outdone by someone just slapping a label on something

We don't even own original inventions or patents in the sphere.

I mean, what are we talking about here? Just the same old cosmetic shyt.
We are in the day and age where you can cop the natural ingredients from amazon and make your own custom blend, that is how 85% of these black owned hair care companies now get started. Girls bragging about being bosses selling body butter and oils from stuff they got on amazon. I dont knock their efforts but as black it seems we are most innovative for things that we find fun but not for things that can build wealth. We blacks in America brag about how we are the most innovative in the world, yet we dont make a damn dime of of any of creations, so it's essentially bragging about being the worlds best Hoe, because blacks in other nations at least just gave up, while we are out going hard in the trap to make everyone else wealthy.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I might have to say fukk Dollar shave Club and ride with my brotha. :hmmjb:
Oh no doubt, if you're using Dollar Shave Club go with Tristan if thats how you're moving...

I'm not hating on the dude, I'm just seriously wondering who advised him to turn down such a huge buy out with such limited foresight.