Man Turns Down A Half Billion Dollar Buyout Of His Company To Stay Black Owned

BrehMan

Old Avi from :hamster:
Daps
Reppin
See the Avi
Indian company out here stealing the entire design and marketing of Bevel

Bombay Shaving Company | Welcome

this is why we need to support our own, this shyt right here. They literally copied the whole design and campaign

but also why we can't limit or audience to just a certain group of people.
:what: Blatant rip-off.

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
I mentioned it in my other post. She experienced enough success initially that she opened a few brick and mortar shops to serve her customers directly. Unfortunately, the sales slowed
so much that she had to shutter stores and potentially close operations cause she was hemorrhaging money. "Big Money" comes around, buys into her business, keeps it from failing,
but people wanna talk about "black ownership" when they weren't supporting her when she was 100% black owned.

Businesses, even black owned, are not here to make us feel good. They are there to provide a product or service, not employment or talking points, and if you are not supporting them, they owe you nothing.

People got it fukked up.

Without seeing the full filings it's hard to tell but I I'm sure there was a way to make it profitable even when sales softened, if l'oreal saw it viable to buy it , it's because they knew their were improvements in operations that would make it worth the investments

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Without seeing the full filings it's hard to tell but I I'm sure there was a way to make it profitable even when sales softened, if l'oreal saw it viable to buy it , it's because they knew their were improvements in operations that would make it worth the investments
She had already filed bankruptcy. Big brands like L'oreal don't always buy a business cause of what it is, but what it can also be. That said, what they can "be" usually won't
happen without the big brand. If L'oreal had ailing product lines for natural hair, slapping a new branding on it, Carol's Daughter, helps give second life to them. In addition, they can scale
and put the product into stores and in prominent places that smaller companies couldn't negotiate into.

Again, big companies don't always overpay because they think a company is gonna blow up large by itself, but because they can turn it into something much bigger, much sooner.
This all has to do with stock valuations and investors. Product diversification = money, and the big boys can open doors. That doesn't mean the companies by themselves would be super
successful just because they were offered that money.

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
She had already filed bankruptcy. Big brands like L'oreal don't always buy a business cause of what it is, but what it can also be. That said, what they can "be" usually won't
happen without the big brand. If L'oreal had ailing product lines for natural hair, slapping a new branding on it, Carol's Daughter, helps give second life to them. In addition, they can scale
and put the product into stores and in prominent places that smaller companies couldn't negotiate into.

Again, big companies don't always overpay because they think a company is gonna blow up large by itself, but because they can turn it into something much bigger, much sooner.
This all has to do with stock valuations and investors. Product diversification = money, and the big boys can open doors. That doesn't mean the companies by themselves would be super
successful just because they were offered that money.

breh what are you arguing. Carol Daughter had softening sales, I know for a fact there's more competitors in the market and margins are slimmer (before you CD was able to charge a huge markup on items) when here margins and revenue shrunk she probably had issue with the fixed costs.

CD was primiarily online sales and her supply chain was horrible and there's reviews for the past decade regarding this. Banktruptcy wasn't because her products weren't highly sought out, she just didn't have the knowledge or want to improve operations coupled with some supply chain issues. Again, without opening up the books I'm filling in gaps but I do know her products were highly sought after and I know products that came after like "Uncle Funkys Daughter" (which just got into target itself) are doing very well.

In fact the year they went bankrupt they had $27m in sales

Will and Jada smitha nd Jay all invested in carol's daughter
it was the #1 hair case line on Home shopping network in 2013
then in 2014 bankruptcy

do the math breh

Last edited:

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
breh what are you arguing. Carol Daughter had softening sales, I know for a fact there's more competitors in the market and margins are slimmer (before you CD was able to charge a huge markup on items) when here margins and revenue shrunk she probably had issue with the fixed costs.

CD was primiarily online sales and her supply chain was horrible and there's reviews for the past decade regarding this. Banktruptcy wasn't because her products weren't highly sought out, she just didn't have the knowledge or want to improve operations coupled with some supply chain issues. Again, without opening up the books I'm filling in gaps but I do know her products were highly sought after and I know products that came after like "Uncle Funkys Daughter" (which just got into target itself) are doing very well.
:dahell:I wasn't arguing anything, I thought we were just chopping it up. Of course there could have been ways for her to survive (bankruptcy probably wouldn't have been the end of her brand. It had name recognition.) I was simply saying she was staring down that hole for a year before L'oreal came in and made her business bigger than it ever was. Shes doing well these days.

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
:dahell:I wasn't arguing anything, I thought we were just chopping it up. Of course there could have been ways for her to survive (bankruptcy probably wouldn't have been the end of her brand. It had name recognition.) I was simply saying she was staring down that hole for a year before L'oreal came in and made her business bigger than it ever was. Shes doing well these days.

okay

just added this to the post:

then in 2014 bankruptcy

do the math breh
she wasn't operating right

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
okay

just added this to the post:

then in 2014 bankruptcy

do the math breh
she wasn't operating right
:yeshrug:Whether she was or wasn't is immaterial to me. Lets look at it from the other end: she doesn't fully own the brand now, but its under the umbrella of a mega-corp that knows how to
operate it right:francis:

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
:yeshrug:Whether she was or wasn't is immaterial to me. Lets look at it from the other end: she doesn't fully own the brand now, but its under the umbrella of a mega-corp that knows how to
operate it right:francis:

agreed...just to be clear, here's the explanation of what happened. I see now it was a strategy she played and used the below as an out because she would have been "crucified" for selling out bu did it under the guise of financial issues.

According to the chief executive of Carol’s Daughter, Richard Dantas, the brand is now available in over 2,000 other retail stores around the United States. Dantas said the company is now focusing on a distribution strategy with these retailers. He went on to say the Chapter 11 filing does not reflect the parent company’s healthy financial situation. It is simply a part of its plan to increase the brand through national retail outlets.

Companies affiliated with the line of beauty products branded as Carol’s Daughter have gone bankrupt. On Thursday the well-known company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection after the brand was forced to close most of its stores.

and this quote makes it even clearer that she was probably doing really well and her line of stores (which might have been setup under a different LLC, are the ones that went bankrupt). There's no way I'd believe that she wasn't make a lot of money on her website, hsn, and target distributions.

she used this to sell to L'Oreal ...

"If a company like L’Oreal or (Estee) Lauder or Procter [& Gamble] - if they acquire another brand, they don't acquire brands that are in trouble," says Price. "You acquire something that's going to enhance your portfolio and help to make you money. It was pretty amazing that we were able to turn our finances around in such a positive way that we were attractive to someone else to purchase us, because that wasn’t the case a year before that.”

Price says Carol's Daughters’ exit strategy is something she always envisioned.

"I personally did not have tens of millions of dollars to write checks to my investors," Price says. "It was and is still one of the best things I've done professionally."

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
:rocky:I never said he should sell. I was saying in the face of business, if he sold, he could do way more with the cash if he did. Most folks wanted him to keep the business so it would be black owned, not paying any attention to its long-term profitability. Thats why i brought up the Carol's daughter example to see why folks were citing it. She was going broke. If he was in the same position, he was well within his rights to sell if he could do better with the cash.
This

He could've easily had backup businesses, plans, products, etc., and started fresh just by flipping this one company.

Saving his bigger shyt and ideas for his next startup with a Billi in his back pocket

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This

He could've easily had backup businesses, plans, products, etc., and started fresh just by flipping this one company.

Saving his bigger shyt and ideas for his next startup with a Billi in his back pocket
:whoa:It wouldn't have been anywhere near a billi. Even when they offer that much money, unless you own something 100% outright, a lot of people are getting paid along the way.
He had investors who helped him get started, so he still would have to break bread.

In any case, much success to this brotha. I just hope everyone who is praising his keeping it is also buying his products.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
:whoa:It wouldn't have been anywhere near a billi. Even when they offer that much money, unless you own something 100% outright, a lot of people are getting paid along the way.
He had investors who helped him get started, so he still would have to break bread.

In any case, much success to this brotha. I just hope everyone who is praising his keeping it is also buying his products.
Well thats why i said a billi instead of 1.5 billi but maybe I underestimated it...

But if hes flipping investor money like that they would definitely invest in his next venture I would assume

But yeah, definitely much success but i would've flipped it personally

Last edited:

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
I mentioned it in my other post. She experienced enough success initially that she opened a few brick and mortar shops to serve her customers directly. Unfortunately, the sales slowed
so much that she had to shutter stores and potentially close operations cause she was hemorrhaging money. "Big Money" comes around, buys into her business, keeps it from failing,
but people wanna talk about "black ownership" when they weren't supporting her when she was 100% black owned.

Businesses, even black owned, are not here to make us feel good. They are there to provide a product or service, not employment or talking points, and if you are not supporting them, they owe you nothing.

People got it fukked up.

People need to understand that you need more then one communities dollar to be successful in America.

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
People need to understand that you need more then one communities dollar to be successful in America.
I mean, how often do people say "Other races buy from their own" etc. Not saying that on the other hand, a great deal of the money that they spend amongst themselves comes
from our poor communities. Sure we could sell amongst ourselves, but the free-flowing cash clearly comes from those outside of the community.

The goal should be to bring it in and make our circulation last longer.