Malcolm-Jamal Warner: “I Stopped Listening to J Cole Because Of His Usage Of “N*gga & B*tch!”

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA
Yeah it’s Cole of all people who’s excessive:mjlol: This nikka Cole became Hip Hop’s scapegoat for everything overnight after dropping out of the beef

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
That's not the issue. The issue is damn near EVERY hip-hop (& far too many RnB) track uses 'n1gga/bytch' egregiously which gives non-Black people the idea it's okay and really shouldn't bother any Black people if they say it. It also gives them the impression that's how we communicate to one another regularly.​

LOL. Malcolm didn't say that in the clip. Those are your words. My response was towards what Malcolm said in that clip.

CodeKansas

Superstar
Daps
MJW is before this era of music, so I can understand him not liking it. Doubly so with it coming from J. Cole, somebody who I place in the "We don't wanna here you say nikka no morrrrrrrrrrrrre" category myself. :yeshrug:

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
LOL. Malcolm didn't say that in the clip. Those are your words. My response was towards what Malcolm said in that clip.
He said 'It's corny.', and it is. He also objected to it being egregiously uttered on songs and should stop, which is the SAME thing I said with a bit of added emphasis on my part explaining why.​

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
He said 'It's corny.', and it is. He also objected to it being egregiously uttered on songs and should stop, which is the SAME thing I said with a bit of added emphasis on my part explaining why.​

1999. Jigga my nikka. DMX song My nikkaz playing on Any Given Sunday. DMX having a whole song that would later be a video and single called What These B1tches Want from a N1gga featuring R&B singer Sisqo on the hook. Missy Elliots "She's a bytch" and Eve having a song called "My bytches."

This was 25 years ago and there were plenty of other songs. What Malcolm is speaking on is over 25 years after the fact. Stressing it now in 2024 makes it sound like whoever is stressing it just woke up from a 25 year coma.

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA
He didn't single out Cole as the only one. He named him an as example because that's who he listened to.
My point still remains, nikkas been shyttin on Cole ridiculously

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
1999. Jigga my nikka. DMX song My nikkaz playing on Any Given Sunday. DMX having a whole song that would later be a video and single called What These B1tches Want from a N1gga featuring R&B singer Sisqo on the hook. Missy Elliots "She's a bytch" and Eve having a song called "My bytches."
Now, compare that list you just made with what's 'hot' right now on the hip-hop/RnB charts and tell me how many songs use those terms....

This was 25 years ago and there were plenty of other songs. What Malcolm is speaking on is over 25 years after the fact. Stressing it now in 2024 makes it sound like whoever is stressing it just woke up from a 25 year coma.
What MJW is speaking on has been a sticking point FOR 30+ years, not after the fact. We BEEN stressing it. It's become damned near impossible to find hip-hop without their use and it's corny.​

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Hip Hop without extremely lewd language..

I don't want it.

It's like clean stand up comedy. Which is also azz.

Hardcore rap is in the category of horror movies, evening news, or true crime.

There's some horrible shyt in there, but it's the same content as the evening news. The news reports on all the worst happenings. Gangsta rap is that same vibe.

I watch John Wick, I play first person shooters, and I bump Geto Boys.

If there's fun entertainment that doesn't contain violence and corruption.. have fun with it. I guarantee Theo plays GTA, watches Mafia movies, or some form of violent entertainment.

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
Now, compare that list you just made with what's 'hot' right now on the hip-hop/RnB charts and tell me how many songs use those terms....​

Oh you wanna battle.

going back to 1999.

Snoop had two popular singles and videos. One called bytch Please and another called Down 4 My nikkaz

Trick Daddy had a popular song that went "You don't know Nann nikka."

And I can keep going.

But aside from that I agree, it's been an issue for 30 plus years but Malcolm is saying this in 2024. He wasn't known for having a gripe with hip hop 25 years ago. Malcolm went on Def Poetry Jam and did a corny poem with sexual innuendos. He didnt boycott Def Jam which was promoting Jay Z and DMX, he went to the same machine and helped it. The same Def Jam that had Def Comedy Jam which had the N word the B word the F word and every curse word imaginable which contributed to 90s urban culture and it's over the top usage of all the things Malcolm was complaining about. That's Why I keep stressing that he's late all after the fact.