Major City Black Population +/-, per 2020 Census

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
I knew about interior cities like Vegas and OKC growing, but I never expected them to pass Miami because of Miami’s constant influx of black immigrants. Seeing Miami’s black percentage drop to 12.9% is shocking.

I wonder to what level are black immigrants still coming to America. I assume Africans probably come at a higher pace today then Caribbean but I’m just assuming

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
DC was once the "murder capital" Brooklyn was decribed on an episode of Will & Grace as "murderville" With that thinking gentrification shouldn't exist.

Someone is willing to save a buck or two being an "urban pioneer" The main thing that turns a hood into a nice area is the williness of people to pick up trash,volunteer and go to PTA and school board meetings and Neighborhod zoing committees.

Yes this

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
this is where you gotta look at the metro area. Some cities are losing black people but they’re moving to suburbs right outside the city or other cities in the county - I’d assume this is the case with Miami, definitely the case with DC and Chicago - but some cities are losing black people entirely, they’re not even staying in the area - the Bay Area.

Yea in Miami Haitians would move to north Miami over time

Daps
This is true. Charlotte, DC, Atlanta, have black visibility on every socioeconomic level. Miami is more like California in regards to having black people only in the lower socioeconomic classes. The rest of Florida is a tiny bit more balanced and like the rest of the south in regard to having a black middle class. But even California cities seem to be overtaking Miami in terms of black percentage. Which is honestly shocking to me.

Almost all black people in cali is ados i think that why so many are poor and not visible in upper class areas

Dc
Miami

Etc got alot more carribean and african pop

Not saying they rich or dont have poor people but they tier above us cause we have diff history in America

Prob why so many live in broward and in dc they so visible at a higher econmic status

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
Ehh, it’s easy to miss a black presence in LA. California in general, the majority of the black population isn’t doing well, so unless you’re in a lower socioeconomic class, it’s quite easy to not see or be in black spaces. And then a good half or more of educated/upwardly mobile blacks tend to associate with “others” and date out. DMV (and east coast blacks in general) have a much stronger, bigger middle class and even upper middle class. You can associate with a deep black community at all socioeconomic levels out here. Cali is missing that.

despite LA having a big black population numbers wise, when just out and about, I don’t see it because of how disperses it is. I gotta be linking with people from there who are going to a black event to really see us. Of course I could go to the hood, but why?
LA has vibrant LA black neighborhoods

alot of the upward people who date out in LA, tend to be black migrant who prolly moved there for business and prolly have no connection there besides maybe a few friends

As black Migrants to a another state tend to marry/date out more than Natives
so alot of those dating out people are prolly people who are from the east coast, south, etc.

which is reasonable as even tho some black americans native to LA may leave, you got some who are moving to LA via work/business opportunity etc.

whereas a good bunch of upward blacks native to LA are more connected.

Last edited:

King

The black man is always targeted.
Daps
It’s a systemic issue. Africans are already designated as a class above ADOS. It’s a bias in every facet. I posted a thread here of a woman from a wealthy white family explaining how they view African immigrants as well as the opportunities they afford them. I also posted actual studies into this that confirm it.

But magically the thread got deleted because they don’t want the truth on this website.

There’s literally nothing that can be done and they exist as an emerging group of black elite in this country due to the uneven playing field and the fact that white people like them more.

They are the model minority of black people. It’s the same system it just evolved. Unless Africans willingly call out and advocate for us, nothing will be done and society will just get more unequal. Just as it is in their own countries. Things will get worse for us as time goes on and eventually we’ll be the minority of the minority fighting for scraps.

Here’s a related vid that touches on some of what I was saying: https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMRHpeK8W/

I had some great vids, but sadly the moderators on this website deleted my thread with the links.

I hate when they’re willfully ignorant too like a lot of posters on here.

King

The black man is always targeted.
Daps
Also again to answer your question in short, there is no solution. This is how systemic racism works - it evolves. It’s not just race anymore - it’s ethnicity. Invisible classism - immigrants simply did not have to deal with 400+ years of being enslaved and held back in this country. They always have a country and network to go back to. And those who immigrate are most likely upper class and highly educated to begin with and are able to take full advantage.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Ehh, it’s easy to miss a black presence in LA. California in general, the majority of the black population isn’t doing well, so unless you’re in a lower socioeconomic class, it’s quite easy to not see or be in black spaces. And then a good half or more of educated/upwardly mobile blacks tend to associate with “others” and date out. DMV (and east coast blacks in general) have a much stronger, bigger middle class and even upper middle class. You can associate with a deep black community at all socioeconomic levels out here. Cali is missing that.

despite LA having a big black population numbers wise, when just out and about, I don’t see it because of how disperses it is. I gotta be linking with people from there who are going to a black event to really see us. Of course I could go to the hood, but why?

I don't disagree with your overall point but the area I outlined, the black population isn't dispersed. It's a couple hundred thousand black folk in a compact area roughly the geography of DC. It is NOT hard to find black events or become connected to the Black Angeleno experience if you are in stated region...

California, and other western states by extension, are missing the stronger and more extensive black cultural experience simply by proxy of the United States being settled from east to west. While we know California had a role in slavery, it was neither a slave state nor along the slave routes. Cali is also on the opposite coast from the Caribbean where black folks were also enslaved and eventually emigrated from, and when they came here we all know they don't start with California, they hit the coast that's closer to them...

California's fragmented black community isn't a Black California creation, and I think to too many people Black Californians are somehow responsible for not having an equivalent range of depth and diversity in the black experience that you find from Texas and points east of there. It's a stupid and silly notion that is easy to poke holes in, and it's commendable that California established the strength of black culture it does have given its geography and the history of other people in Cali territory both before and after the introduction of African descendants...

Anyone looking for an Eastern experience is missing the mark, though I do feel like elements of a solid black experience are found throughout the state...

Haven;t spent time in LA but I will say that DC's Black areas had a Wakanda like atmosphere, You go in the Hoods in DC and 10 or 15 years you'd see No Non Black People maybe you'd see the odd white cop but if you stayed in the hoods It was being in Nairobi. 20 years ago you wouldn't see white people that weren't cops after 6pm in weekends downtown. DC's segregation was on a another level.

This is similar to when I lived in LA, I never saw white people. Everyone was black or Mexican, and at the time I lived and went to school in South Central, it was much blacker than it is now...

This is true. Charlotte, DC, Atlanta, have black visibility on every socioeconomic level. Miami is more like California in regards to having black people only in the lower socioeconomic classes. The rest of Florida is a tiny bit more balanced and like the rest of the south in regard to having a black middle class. But even California cities seem to be overtaking Miami in terms of black percentage. Which is honestly shocking to me.

Lol bruh, Miami's black decline has been noted for years, I've never been but I heard about it probably close to a decade ago. It's long turned into a rich man's playground for foreigners, black native Miamians been fleeing...