Major City Black Population +/-, per 2020 Census

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
DC feels blacker than most cities, it peaked at over 70% Black not even 50 years ago...

Matter fact I can't really think of any place I've been that feels blacker than The District; there are places that feel equally black but none I can think of that felt blacker...

But people really misrepresent Black Los Angeles, for the life of me I'll never understand how people claim they don't feel our presence in LA unless they specifically avoid South LA and the upper South Bay...

DC is 61.1 mi² with a population of ~690k and ~285k black people (41.4%), population density of ~11.3k. There is a contigous stretch of Los Angeles that includes the entirety of South Central as well as the Inglewood Bottoms, Morningside, North Ingles, and Ladera Heights, that is ~59.4 mi² with a total population of ~875k and ~256k black people (29.3%) and a population density of ~14.8k...

People who've spent time in this defined ~59 mi² window, and even portions slightly outside of it (lower Mid-City, parts of The Gar, Carson, and West Compton), there's no way you don't feel an immense presence of black population and culture. Los Angeles can nearly equal the number of black people in all of DC in almost an equal amount if land area, because most black folks in LA live in the south if the city, but LA is significantly more developed than DC so LA will have more people overall in the same space as DC...

DC on the whole May feel blacker but it's so geographically small, it's really just a slice of the biggest cities like LA. People stay misrepresenting LA's blackness...
Ehh, it’s easy to miss a black presence in LA. California in general, the majority of the black population isn’t doing well, so unless you’re in a lower socioeconomic class, it’s quite easy to not see or be in black spaces. And then a good half or more of educated/upwardly mobile blacks tend to associate with “others” and date out. DMV (and east coast blacks in general) have a much stronger, bigger middle class and even upper middle class. You can associate with a deep black community at all socioeconomic levels out here. Cali is missing that.

despite LA having a big black population numbers wise, when just out and about, I don’t see it because of how disperses it is. I gotta be linking with people from there who are going to a black event to really see us. Of course I could go to the hood, but why?

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
Would love to have seen an ethnic breakdown of the 1.9 million Black New Yorkers.

The NYC Health Department has a series of vaccine promotional videos that are played on television repeatedly. All of the accents of the participants are either Caribbean or West African. There are no
Black folks with southern or NYC accents in the campaign.

I am going to guess that at least 60 percent of NYC's Black population now has immigrant roots from the Caribbean or Africa (including second and third generations). That's probably a very conservative estimate.

Northeastern cities and Miami need to really have a census similar to Toronto and London where all ethnic groups are broken down.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Like I’ve always said ..if you’re a black person and talk down on Detroit you’re on some white ppl/c00n shyt

:yeshrug:

nikkas think they live in Black cities but like this shyt shows yall…you really don’t

Black people always talk down on cities and neighborhoods with high murder rates and urban blight.

Stop dap fishing.

Ain’t nothing c00n about it.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Take notice of cities with declining black population, means there is no opportunity in those cities. Los Angels used to be well over 400k and now the Asians out number us over there:francis:

Black people have the same struggles as far as opportunity in every city. Population declines just follow the timelines of which cities get expensive the fastest or first

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
DC feels blacker than most cities, it peaked at over 70% Black not even 50 years ago...

Matter fact I can't really think of any place I've been that feels blacker than The District; there are places that feel equally black but none I can think of that felt blacker...

But people really misrepresent Black Los Angeles, for the life of me I'll never understand how people claim they don't feel our presence in LA unless they specifically avoid South LA and the upper South Bay...

DC is 61.1 mi² with a population of ~690k and ~285k black people (41.4%), population density of ~11.3k. There is a contigous stretch of Los Angeles that includes the entirety of South Central as well as the Inglewood Bottoms, Morningside, North Ingles, and Ladera Heights, that is ~59.4 mi² with a total population of ~875k and ~256k black people (29.3%) and a population density of ~14.8k...

People who've spent time in this defined ~59 mi² window, and even portions slightly outside of it (lower Mid-City, parts of The Gar, Carson, and West Compton), there's no way you don't feel an immense presence of black population and culture. Los Angeles can nearly equal the number of black people in all of DC in almost an equal amount if land area, because most black folks in LA live in the south if the city, but LA is significantly more developed than DC so LA will have more people overall in the same space as DC...

DC on the whole May feel blacker but it's so geographically small, it's really just a slice of the biggest cities like LA. People stay misrepresenting LA's blackness...
Haven;t spent time in LA but I will say that DC's Black areas had a Wakanda like atmosphere, You go in the Hoods in DC and 10 or 15 years you'd see No Non Black People maybe you'd see the odd white cop but if you stayed in the hoods It was being in Nairobi. 20 years ago you wouldn't see white people that weren't cops after 6pm in weekends downtown. DC's segregation was on a another level.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Because it has one of the highest murder rates and black urban blight in the nation.

Why would you think any logical black person would talk “Up” about that?

Idk any city with a high murder rate or urban blight that black folks talk highly about

:stopitslime:
DC was once the "murder capital" Brooklyn was decribed on an episode of Will & Grace as "murderville" With that thinking gentrification shouldn't exist.

Someone is willing to save a buck or two being an "urban pioneer" The main thing that turns a hood into a nice area is the williness of people to pick up trash,volunteer and go to PTA and school board meetings and Neighborhod zoing committees.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Ehh, it’s easy to miss a black presence in LA. California in general, the majority of the black population isn’t doing well, so unless you’re in a lower socioeconomic class, it’s quite easy to not see or be in black spaces. And then a good half or more of educated/upwardly mobile blacks tend to associate with “others” and date out. DMV (and east coast blacks in general) have a much stronger, bigger middle class and even upper middle class. You can associate with a deep black community at all socioeconomic levels out here. Cali is missing that.

despite LA having a big black population numbers wise, when just out and about, I don’t see it because of how disperses it is. I gotta be linking with people from there who are going to a black event to really see us. Of course I could go to the hood, but why?
This is true. Charlotte, DC, Atlanta, have black visibility on every socioeconomic level. Miami is more like California in regards to having black people only in the lower socioeconomic classes. The rest of Florida is a tiny bit more balanced and like the rest of the south in regard to having a black middle class. But even California cities seem to be overtaking Miami in terms of black percentage. Which is honestly shocking to me.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
There’s a lot of cities that have good black growth that y’all don’t know about because no rappers rep them lol
I knew about interior cities like Vegas and OKC growing, but I never expected them to pass Miami because of Miami’s constant influx of black immigrants. Seeing Miami’s black percentage drop to 12.9% is shocking.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
This is true. Charlotte, DC, Atlanta, have black visibility on every socioeconomic level. Miami is more like California in regards to having black people only in the lower socioeconomic classes. The rest of Florida is a tiny bit more balanced and like the rest of the south in regard to having a black middle class. But even California cities seem to be overtaking Miami in terms of black percentage. Which is honestly shocking to me.
this is where you gotta look at the metro area. Some cities are losing black people but they’re moving to suburbs right outside the city or other cities in the county - I’d assume this is the case with Miami, definitely the case with DC and Chicago - but some cities are losing black people entirely, they’re not even staying in the area - the Bay Area.

SCJoe

All Star
Daps
I'm actually surprised their are more Brehs in SF than in Fresno and Riverside.