Mad Men: Season 7 (Part 1) 'The Beginning' - April 13th

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
So, has anyone else picked up that they're dropping hints to suggest that the firm is going to shyt without Don? Last week, Ken implied that their lesser account men have been dropping accounts pretty quickly. This week, as that disastrous partners meeting let out, they said they never mentioned which of Peggy's accounts they lost. Creative doesn't even have a representative at the partners meeting, and they seem to have gotten stagnant under Lou's leadership (:pacspit: at Lou, though. He sucks). Cutler is lining up to try to get rid of at least Roger, if not Sterling as well. The idea to move Joan upstairs puts Joan on his side. Ted wanted no parts of in office beef, and he's out in LA clearly not giving a fukk. The only two people he would have to go through are Don, who he has turned everyone but Roger against, and Roger, who he's sizing up. The funny thing is that simply having Don in the office would seemingly remedy most of their issues (creative wouldn't be so shytty, and Don could have squashed that silly argument in the meeting).

On the other end, though, as Don seems to be letting go of parts of the Don Draper persona (working at SC&P, his relationship with Megan, the heavy drinking, trying to hide things, and even the thought of upkeep on the condo), he seems to be getting the rest of his life together slowly. He admitted to himself he's a shytty husband, started trying to get a handle on his drinking, and got a little of Sally's respect back. It feels like it's being suggested that at some point, be it during this half of the season or next half, he'll have to choose between truly being Don Draper or dikk Whitman.

I agree with all this. And it was telegraphed in the partners meeting (a review I read picked this up) where it had all of them sitting around the table talking to the LA office. The shots with Gleason and Roger both have the solitary big chair of the desk behind them in between the two of them hinting at who fills the chair? Don? Roger? Gleason?

Read that how you will but I don't think that it's necessarily that the firm is going to shyt without Don, it's that the firm is in the predicament right now and is teetering on whether to go two different ways. The way of what what the firm once represented, Roger and Don, hard drinking, never really by the book (this also explains Roger's story about being called a kike and the differences between the new and the old, the changing of corporate environment) or the way of the Gleasons, Averys and Bensons. Don't rock the boat, by the book, no drinking, not as outwardly manly or aggressively masculine etc. etc.

But that depends on your reading of Lou Avery as well I think :ld:

Last edited:

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
Though I gotta say I don't think Weiner would have Don come swooping into the office at some point during this final season right? That would seem so cheap to me.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
Some people in here know the situation with my daughter. Last night's episode....that dynamic between Don & his daughter had me crying at the tv. No one knew me more than my daughter...saw through me like no human being I've ever encountered on this earth. shyt cut through me last night.

jdubnyce

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
t-dot till they bury me
Some people in here know the situation with my daughter. Last night's episode....that dynamic between Don & his daughter had me crying at the tv. No one knew me more than my daughter...saw through me like no human being I've ever encountered on this earth. shyt cut through me last night.

i dont know your story, but :salute: for sharing that moment

as a soon to be parent, I could see how :to: a moment that was for Don

Spin

All Star
Daps

That is real right there. I don't have any kids, but I really felt the scenes with those two and it seemed like it was the first time Don walked away a better person in a long time. So far, he has at least two people we know of on his payroll in an attempt to get back his position at the agency. The interaction he had with his daughter might be the final juice he needs to sort all his personal crap out of the way and get back to business.

Peggy has fought tooth and nail to get to the point she is at, but now she is miserable. The whole feminism movement was played very interesting this episode. Who is really the ultimate benefactor of the movement? We see with Peggy's new found status, she is pulling the same tactics that her white male boss's do when she requests that her black assistant be moved.

Joan who is both admired and suspected of sleeping her way into her position has been a rock so far. She really is the Mother of the company and has been since day one.

Well we all knew Pete's happy gimmick wouldn't last too long. He's already back to taking L's. Lol his only saving grace this time is he found a woman that is a go getter. I'm interested in seeing how the relationship will unfold.

I keep hearing chatter about what Don's "joke" meant at the table with Sally about leaving without paying. I thought maybe it was him pretending to be broke since he just confessed to his daughter he was out of work. I really think she gave him his spark back and he was saying "Not so fast, Draper season isn't over".

jdubnyce

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
t-dot till they bury me
Trying to not read most of the thread.

Is it plausible? That makes it VERY interesting IMO. I am only up to season 3...might start catching up tomorrow.
Oh, thought you were caught up. Given that aviation is an predominant theme of the show, plus Don's (dikk's) background, sounds plausible but I doubt it

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
From AVClub

It is astonishing, Todd, how badly Peggy comes off in this episode—but now that I think about it, it’s about damn time. I love Peggy, but she has been less and less sympathetic since the first season, when she was at her lowest point. She’s brilliant and vulnerable and temperamental, but she’s also grown to embody privilege in surprising ways. And though she has had a fantastic struggle, she sometimes doesn’t realize that the struggle she experiences is not the only one that exists. Unlike Don, for example, Peggy hasn’t really taken a younger copywriter under her wing—her relationship with Michael Ginsberg is antagonistic at best. And considering she was a secretary, she’s rather dismissive of her own. No women work under her, that I can tell; she seems too nervous of her position to let in more talent. And that weird self-aggrandizing passive-aggressiveness is totally relatable and totally unappealing. Peggy’s got some learning to do about how big her problems are. Much of her ambition comes from a sense of being wronged. But girl, you’re a landlady with an office: You are the establishment. Grow up. And stop getting weird about roses.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yo, to those caught up. Is this theory plausible? If true I will catch up with the whole show immediately.

It doesn't seem all that likely to me. For one, even with the progression if the character being what it's been lately, that theory paying off would be a HUGE stretch.

The coincidental evidence lines up, but the head writer absolutely loves to troll the audience.