Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE (Discussion Thread)

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
real talk. you seem to hate lupe. why you in here?

You can't listen to shyt like Jonylah forever and be like hes some smart dumb lyrical miracle rapper either...seems its personal. As a fan of rap you should be a fan of most of the shyt lupe has dropped. :ld:

I don't like weirdo raps. This nikka makes the most insufferable, overly cryptic, pseudo intellectual raps I've ever heard. He's like those boring try hard backpack rappers from the late 90's/early 2000s but just not as good. I tried listening to this shyt but couldn't make it past 4 tracks.

MrRDU

Superstar
Daps
Im not the hugest fan of Lupe's songs but the lyrics are GOD level. I cant get through the whole thing because I keep repeating these:

Alan Forever,
Haile Selassie,
Helter Skelter,
Sun God Sam & The California Drug Deals
Stack that cheese

Majestic

Believe in myself and the Coles and Kendricks
Daps
I feel like this album will be the supreme clientele of this generation. An album that's completely different and unique from anything around it. It won't sell crazy records but in time it will be viewed as an iconic album among hip hop fans and artists alike. This shyt gonna truly impact the game going forward just like supreme did. The word of mouth is gaining steam and it's already being called a masterpiece all over social media. The real heads know. It's only a matter of time before the rest of the world has to take notice. Keep talking about it. Spread the word.
:dwillhuh: huh?

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
I don't like weirdo raps. This nikka makes the most insufferable, overly cryptic, pseudo intellectual raps I've ever heard. He's like those boring try hard backpack rappers from the late 90's/early 2000s but just not as good. I tried listening to this shyt but couldn't make it past 4 tracks.

I mean you apparently like Supreme Clientele tho (a classic ass album) and that could be considered the exact same shyt even moreso as Ghost is legit on literal random stream of conscious shyt for a lot of that record. I think youre just being contrarian. Theres nothing cryptic about the first several tracks on this record. Manila is pretty upfront with its message, gold too. wav files is easy to follow.

You open to your opinion but it seems to be kind of emotional tbh.

also I don't get the SC comparison you'd have to asked breh about that lol.

Majestic

Believe in myself and the Coles and Kendricks
Daps
Ain't no way Drogas Wave is on the same level as Supreme Clientele. Chill the fukk down.

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I mean you apparently like Supreme Clientele tho (a classic ass album) and that could be considered the exact same shyt even moreso as Ghost is legit on literal random stream of conscious shyt for a lot of that record. I think youre just being contrarian. Theres nothing cryptic about the first several tracks on this record. Manila is pretty upfront with its message, gold too. wav files is easy to follow.

You open to your opinion but it seems to be kind of emotional tbh.

Not being contrarian. And stop being disrespectful. Ghost is 100 times better a MC than this weirdo y'all overrate and worship. And y'all nikkas need to calm down with the duplicitous "Lupe is the greatest rapper of all time" rhetoric because it makes y'all look like jokes and pushes people away from his music. You're not helping Lupe by putting him at Ghosts' level or this album at Supreme Clentele's level.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Not being contrarian. And stop being disrespectful. Ghost is 100 times better a MC than this weirdo y'all overrate and worship. And y'all nikkas need to calm down with the duplicitous "Lupe is the greatest rapper of all time" rhetoric because it makes y'all look like jokes and pushes people away from his music. You're not helping Lupe by putting him at Ghosts' level or this album at Supreme Clentele's level.

100 times? Ghost is a SSS tier MC. but hes not perfect, neither is lupe. Lupe is easily the most lyrical rapper ever. Only person whose close is Nas. thats almost unquestionable at this point whether you want to admit it or not. also who said lupe the greatest rapper ever? Thats nas. I got Ghost like...5th iirc and Lupe is in my top ten yes. I don't know where I even compared the two records beyond you crying about cryptic shyt when SC is full of literal ghost just seemingly going off top saying dope shyt.

Scientific, my hand kissed it, robotic let's think optimistic
You probably missed it, watch me dolly dikk it
Scotty, watty, cop it to me, big microphone hippie
Hit Poughkeepsie crispy chicken, verbs throw up a stone Richie

First damn lyrics of the album. You can't criticize Lupe for being cryptic (he really isn't) when you champion SC which is actually literally cryptic self contained if you know you know shyt. And I love that album but I'm also about being congruent.

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
You heard Jonylah Forever before this album right? He dropped that when that shyt happened 5 years ago
:mjcry:

And yeah, that Hadiya line is deep too. That song has been one of my favorite Lupe tracks since he released it. Now since it's an OFFICIAL song, we can pull it up and reference in hiphop discussions as just another reason why Lupe's storytelling ability is just ELITE status.

NAH, NEVER HEARD IT BEFORE.

:mjlol: GO SIT THE fukk DOWN SOME WHERE.

:devil:
:evil:

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
@((ReFleX)) , which one better: Drogas or Supreme Clientele?
ghost is my all time GOAT and supreme was the definitive album of my teenage years. So nothing released in this era will top supreme just for that fact alone. But this album has the potential to have the same impact within this generation. Trust. Hip hop artists will be hailing this a classic very soon.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

NAH, NEVER HEARD IT BEFORE.

:mjlol: GO SIT THE fukk DOWN SOME WHERE.

:devil:
:evil:

upload_2018-9-22_12-20-14.png

That was the song cover when he dropped it man...
:wow:
:mjcry: