Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE (Discussion Thread)

10:31

Superstar
Daps
When you consider lupes mixtapes series hes easily in the top 5 last two decades

Listen I’ve got too many thoughts running through my head, I’m going to have to log off

He sounds like prime Nas on the beginning of Mural jr.. his voice the cadence sounds like prime Nas, I’m surprised nobody has pointed that out

Typically by album 5 people burn out.. life happens.. voices change.. creativity lacks

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is his seventh album

So for context,

Nas was on Streets Disciple

Jay was at BP2

Snoop was on The Blue Carpet Treatment

Ice Cube - I am The West

Rakim - The Seventh Seal

Scarface - M.A.D.E

BIG never made it to 7

Prodigy didn’t make it to 7

PAC technically never made it to 7

Pun never made it to 7

Kiss & SP don’t have a 7

No method to who I selected but this where they were by 7 albums.. I still consider them to better overall MCs than Lupe

Here is where it starts to get murky

A lot of those artists, peaked well before 7.. Lupe is getting better.. like at a rapid rate

Lupe has weaknesss as an MC.. he can be too cryptic and the texture of his voice can be seen as weak.. he also isn’t the best entertainer

But outside of that...

Lyrically he may be the best.. the best as in best overall lyricist to pick up the Mic

Entertainer as in what though? Lupe Live shows are fire!

And great post! Mind if i post this on my Twitter?

10:31

Superstar
Daps
Entertainer as in what though? Lupe Live shows are fire!

And great post! Mind if i post this on my Twitter?

Post it on Twitter

He doesn’t have the gimmick.. the high energy charisma..

Lupe is a street nikka that doesn’t lead or project street nikka

No maifso alter ego
Not a pimp
Not a Mack
Not your typical conscious back packer

And it’s isnt a bad thing..

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Listen I’ve got too many thoughts running through my head, I’m going to have to log off

He sounds like prime Nas on the beginning of Mural jr.. his voice the cadence sounds like prime Nas, I’m surprised nobody has pointed that out

Typically by album 5 people burn out.. life happens.. voices change.. creativity lacks

Bro i think you should really sit and think of it out and make a thread, podcast idk whatever cause people really dont realize how GREAT lupe is dude is getting better and better.

Food and liquor and the cool was Ss1 through Ss3

Enemy of the state was ss2

Tetsuo and youth was Ultra Instinct Lupe

Pharoah Height was super saiyan blue

This is Ultra Instinct Lupe but more easily digested for some

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
"Fish is my friends and the whales is my homies, Octopuses my people, the Shrimp they all know me. Sharks is my nikkas, the dolphins is with us, the crabs is my comrades. The sea horse be holding us down. Jelly Fish they just rolling around. Lobsters is cool, they are not food - they're part of the crew."

Not only was this one of my favorite hooks, but just imagining the Long Chains(name of the reincarnated African sea spectres that are the focus of the first half) squaded up with an army of sharks, whales and jelly fish ready to tear these wicked ass cacs apart :russ:

This dude is pushing hip hop into uncharted waters. Pun intended.

Also this this nikka need to marry Nicki Jean if he hasn't already. She laces him with his best hooks and she's beautiful.

Edit: I think when the dust settles this will be his best project. Tetsuo & Youth is amazing and will probably always be my favorite, but objectively speaking this is just as good + an extra layer of story telling AND he somehow managed to take his rapping from a 10/10 to a 11/10

Hope y'all realize now that Drogas Light was just a throw away to get off Atlantic. T&Y and DW is the real him.

Even tho Drogas Light Lupe got verses scattered around that will make some nikkas y'all say are the best out look silly :mjpls:

Last edited: