Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE (Discussion Thread)

10:31

Superstar
Daps
They're so preoccupied with being some sort of voice of the zeitgeist or some shyt that it detracts from their reviews almost every time

There's nothing wrong with being articulate and verbose, but when the actual criticisms are shaky and based on the identity politics and branding surrounding that artist, they lose credibility.

They can't seem to detach identity from music. Every review starts with the reviewer giving you some historical context or essentially "reviewing" their career.

Look, it's not as cool to like Lupe Fiasco in 2018 as it is Cardi B or Playboi Carti, everyone knows that. I'm not listening to get clout or remind people how informed or current I am. I fukk with the bars, beats and content on here HEAVY. I like seeing someone who is a master of his craft, deliver the album that his fans wanted.

For a publication that promotes intellectualism and equal rights so heavy in their content, they're dedicated to validating the most vapid, brainless and anti-intellectual Hip Hop... Almost as if that's what they think Hip Hop should be. Low effort, microwave, turn up shyt etc

This review is the perspective of someone who made it very clear that Lupe is past his prime and guilty until proven innocent. fukk that :camby:

another thing that needs to be said regarding reviews and context

A mumble rappers 8.5 or 8 on a 1/10 scale isn’t not equal to a traditional MC’s 8 or 8.5

When I throw on Trippie’s album or X’d album and I hear a 8/8.5 that isn’t the same 8.5 that I hear after listening to Joey Bad’s album

Hip hop is growing so fast, and these boundaries haven’t been established so the lines are so blurry

Superstar
Daps
They're so preoccupied with being some sort of voice of the zeitgeist or some shyt that it detracts from their reviews almost every time

There's nothing wrong with being articulate and verbose, but when the actual criticisms are shaky and based on the identity politics and branding surrounding that artist, they lose credibility.

They can't seem to detach identity from music. Every review starts with the reviewer giving you some historical context or essentially "reviewing" their career.

Look, it's not as cool to like Lupe Fiasco in 2018 as it is Cardi B or Playboi Carti, everyone knows that. I'm not listening to get clout or remind people how informed or current I am. I fukk with the bars, beats and content on here HEAVY. I like seeing someone who is a master of his craft, deliver the album that his fans wanted.

For a publication that promotes intellectualism and equal rights so heavy in their content, they're dedicated to validating the most vapid, brainless and anti-intellectual Hip Hop... Almost as if that's what they think Hip Hop should be. Low effort, microwave, turn up shyt etc

This review is the perspective of someone who made it very clear that Lupe is past his prime and guilty until proven innocent. fukk that :camby:

A mumble rappers 8.5 or 8 on a 1/10 scale isn’t not equal to a traditional MC’s 8 or 8.5

When I throw on Trippie’s album or X’d album and I hear a 8/8.5 that isn’t the same 8.5 that I hear after listening to Joey Bad’s album

Hip hop is growing so fast, and these boundaries haven’t been established so the lines are so blurry

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

That's a fair point and I get that it's different reviewers and they aren't calibrating scores based on other reviews etc

It's just this feeling I get with them that they hate rap tradition. Artists like Lupe, Royce, J Cole, KRIT etc who make very unglamorous lyrical hip-hop that appeals to purists and is often critical in their message, always get used as target practice for like-minded readers who like to read overwrought pieces of them shytting all over "traditional" artists

When it comes to HIp Hop, the popular genre of choice, the voice of the youth, they become clout-chasers of the worst order. They grade trap on a bell curve as a result. They still need clicks and ad revenue at the end of the day. Simple, straightforward, unpretentious reviews aren't as interesting I guess, even if they're more credible

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Scoring music is dumb really, that's why Dead End Hip Hop's reviews/channel gained a lot of respect over the years.

A dialog about the content and your takeaways is all that's needed... because from that, you know if the person 'got it'. Hip-Hop has too many different pockets/categories that a project can fall into to just have 1 scoring system for everything

I've always felt this way

Last edited:

IShotTheSheriff

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

This is the opinion of someone who legitimately loves music.

Superstar
Daps
Scoring music is dumb really, that's why people Dead End Hip Hop's reviews/channel gained a lot of respect over the years.

A dialog about the content and your takeaways is all that's needed... because from that, you know if the person 'got it'. Hip-Hop has too many different pockets/categories that a project can fall into to just have 1 scoring system for everything

Listen to what you just said!

Society as a whole is getting away from dialogue and in-depth analysis on anything

Look at the meme culture or how fast things move now

This is why brehs are ready to say classic or trash after one or two listens

There was a Ross thread a few weeks back that was breaking down God Forgives in comparison to Teflon Don.

Basically the OP wanted our opinions on why it felt like God Forgives was lacking when it had so many strong records

Second post in the thread was “God Forgives, I Don’t was trash” :stopitslime:

I immediately respond to the breh with “explain”

If you can’t articulate or communicate why you feel the way you do about something your opinion truly is meaningless

Edit* or when you breaking something down and you can’t stay on topic and your using things that have nothing to do with the album or it’s content to sway your review

Your review is meaningless

E.g., you know this Lupe album is bad when he doesn’t have a kick push or a superstar on it

:mindblown: wtf does that have to do with this album.. ?

criminology

hearse initiator
Daps
Reppin
Diamonds & Wood
Put the album down for a few days and just listened again.

Still think the middle drags, still can’t stand XO, but I think this will be one of those albums that will fly under the radar, get mixed reviews, not make end of year lists, but get discovered by people really into music for years, like Blowout Comb. BC was way more popular than this is now but was drowned out and is ignored but still discovered by people interested in good music.

Maybe not, but when the fads fade this album will still have something to offer listeners. 1 of 3 albums I actually paid money for this year. Probably 1/10 his sales :mjgrin:

criminology

hearse initiator
Daps
Reppin
Diamonds & Wood
Scoring music is dumb really, that's why people Dead End Hip Hop's reviews/channel gained a lot of respect over the years.

Giving a numerical score to art is weird. It’s really only music and movies they do it to and everyone rolls with it. But if I said I give Irony of Negro Policeman a 8.9 and Giovanni’s Room a 8.3, you’d think I was fukking stupid.

Superstar
Daps
Put the album down for a few days and just listened again.

Still think the middle drags, still can’t stand XO, but I think this will be one of those albums that will fly under the radar, get mixed reviews, not make end of year lists, but get discovered by people really into music for years, like Blowout Comb. BC was way more popular than this is now but was drowned out and is ignored but still discovered by people interested in good music.

Maybe not, but when the fads fade this album will still have something to offer listeners. 1 of 3 albums I actually paid money for this year. Probably 1/10 his sales :mjgrin:

Come on beloved, this is an album worth a Pulitzer or worth being analyzed on a collegiate level

Lupe needs to get back in the Jewish folks good graces and just like that, everything will fall right into place.

You’ll start hearing his name everywhere and seeing him on everything.

criminology

hearse initiator
Daps
Reppin
Diamonds & Wood
Come on beloved, this is an album worth a Pulitzer or worth being analyzed on a collegiate level

Lupe needs to get back in the Jewish folks good graces and just like that, everything will fall right into place.

I think it’s a great album, but it will never get that status no matter what. It could get cult status years from now but a lot of good art goes totally unrecognized so even that is a stretch. Good thing idgaf if something is popular and get to enjoy it anyway.

Daps
Reppin
Lwo Lakeset
Why would a black person even read mainstream the reviews :mjlol:

I couldn't give a fukk about what somebody else thinks about a song or album I've never understood the concept.

Sure if I hear an album is getting critical reviews I might check it out but it never sways my opinion after listening to it.

fukk a Cacs opinions

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto

It's not winning a pulitzer moving 5000 units :mjcry:

I'm gonna cop but If I'm lupe I'm done with the game. I wouldn't blame him if he walks away from rap

Superstar
Daps
Why would a black person even read mainstream the reviews :mjlol:

I couldn't give a fukk about what somebody else thinks about a song or album I've never understood the concept.

Sure if I hear an album is getting critical reviews I might check it out but it never sways my opinion after listening to it.

fukk a Cacs opinions

But if they’re the gatekeepers and thought leaders on all reputable hip hop platforms you can say “fukk them” at your own discretion..

They’ll slight you by making sure your masterpiece is simply brushed under the rug or in this scenario the review will have nothing to do with the actual content lol..

It's not winning a pulitzer moving 5000 units :mjcry:

I'm gonna cop but If I'm lupe I'm done with the game. I wouldn't blame him if he walks away from rap

Do it for the love

He rolled the dice being too honest with them people. There is a lesson here to be learned, when you dealing with them keep it business.

This isn’t the 60s anymore..

If Ali was around now he wouldn’t be seen as a hero, they would be vilifying him for his stances on changing social norms

We have thought police out here who are itching at the idea of shutting you down based on your views...

Lu got too comfortable

Last edited: