Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE (Discussion Thread)

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
I held out on this... but damn if it aint a dope ass album.

RIP Alan who liked smilin and had talents :mjcry:

Is there a connection between the fish/boats and the myth of Poseidon?

Knowing Lupe, it probably does.

But if you're talking about Haile Selassie, I took it as Poseidon/Atlantic/The Powers That Be can't stop him from diving deep, going in, or eatin'

I think it plays into his line about osprey that fly high above water and dive down from above to catch fish from the ocean/water. :youngsabo:

Last edited:

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin

Poseidon apologized and said
“I’m Sorry, we’re shelter
Y’all can live down here forever
Drowning is severed from all your lungs
And the lungs of your sons to your daughters, the water’s a treasure”

RealAcademicEmu-size_restricted.gif

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO

JUST PRE ORDERED THE PHYSICAL.
IT WILL BE A COLLECTORS ITEM.

This thread has surpassed the Killah Priest "Psychic Life of Walter Reed" thread in terms of stan absurdity. It might have surpassed the T&Y thread too. Phenomenal.

:mjlit:GLAD TO SEE YOU CAME AROUND.

:demonic:NOW GO LISTEN TO MY ALBUM.
:devil:
:evil:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Greco-Roman art primarily associates Poseidon with fish-tailed horses, but he was also depicted alongside dolphins and regular fish at times.
geTwLW3.jpg

42k9UiH.jpg

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
or maybe this explains why people feel the way they do about lupe's music since the cool :ehh:

This definitely applies to Lasers, F&L 2 and Drogas Light.

It definitely doesn't apply to T&Y. His excitement and praise for that project were palpable and he's called it a masterpiece multiple times. That album had no interference at all from Atlantic and he was able to do what he wanted. They weren't even about to put it out until Anonymous pulled their hoe card and forced their hand.

There was a stipulation/technicality of some sort that meant Lupe was still on the label after T&Y, so to circumvent having to put forth any real effort he just slapped together a compilation of songs and sold it as album.

Not liking T&Y like that is mainly a you thing. Trust me most of his fans adore the album and many cite it as his best. It definitely deserves it's place next to F&L and TC.

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla

:mjlit: Glad you came back

N711oir

All Star
Daps
:dead: I type fast and hardly ever proof read my comments/ and also have a subtle philosophy in not believing in mistakes so if it happens it was mint:umad::lolbron: to:whoa: in a genuine face to face Convo we don't get to make edits/ so naturally artistically I try to remain genuine:ahh:

N711oir

All Star
Daps
I get you but how many nikkas out here rapping about the same shyt? Hip hop still getting knocked for the same shyt it's been getting knocked for-- for decades awexcept more white people (a record amount) are accepting the genre at face value. Because yay black people and fukk racism right, its 2018! (This is a topic for another time). I won't be one of them dudes though because there's actually some really good shyt out right now if you know where to look. But I think Lu isn't the particular problem but more what he stands for, and how he raps about this shyt in an intellectual and artistic way... that makes it hard for people to take it in on a wider level. In an industry that is all about numbers and asking artist to Dumb It Down in order to meet those numbers, this guy kept his integrity and dignity, and that deserves at least some respect. He isn't willing to play ball like Kendrick, and we all know some of the best works out there in hip hop aren't mainstream... its always been that way.

Also there are a shyt ton of Jewish celebs that have had the Holocaust referenced in their work or material regularly... and as for Hispanics, well, their plight was a bit different. They are also not a race, but an ethnicity, and while the black community is still quite divided... the Latino/Hispanic community is nowhere near as united. And are incredibly nationalist which is why they aren't as vocal as blacks are on some things. Like people hounding the fukk outta Marvel/Disney for Black Panther to happen which took 10yrs... where these Latinos asking for more representation? They just don't seem to be vocal on the same things or are on a different wavelength all together.

As for the slave things, Lu actually touches on this. He talks about how Africans were the ones selling other Africans into slavery. How the entire thing was bartering in the first place, and how they weren't exactly living in peace on that continent before all the colonization took place. He talks about how everywhere had slaves, and that a lot of the foundations of the world's major civilizations/societies were built by the hands of slaves. He didn't really go into this on the album but on an IG live he did he's well aware of all this, but I think he stripped it down to fit his battle with Atlantic. The album does make it come off some things but I feel it might've been for creative purposes.

I feel what you're saying though for the most part. I don't think Lupe will ever blow up again, but that's ok, I just hope he keeps putting stuff out because after this (and giving up on this dude after listening to Lasers) I think I'll always be willing to give his shyt a listen.

I agree mostly with your comments

However:francis:. The difference like when you speak of Jews in entertainment touching on Holocaust, it's usually tongue and cheek or self depricating. Their work is seasoned with these things as oppressed to being main course. For instance a corner store compared to a whole foods/ you can purchase junk items in both establishments but your other options if you don't wish to partake of that in (cornerstore) are slim/ for "black" movies music television it's like that small corner store/ it's littered with junk food few healthy suitable options you basically. Cant go no where else:yeshrug: Caucasians Jews etc if they don't wish to hear Jewish propaganda or trump and fox news/ they still have a plentiful bounty of other healthy media options for themselves and family to relax and enjoy.

The other thing with lupe/ yes if you complain about mumble rap then they feed you intellectual rap with good. Beats how can you complain:hhh: I think it's just human nature/ if you gravitate to. Medium/ music that isn't enjoyed by the majority it's easier to say it's something wrong with you:ufdup: as opposed to being something wrong with me:hubie: I think artist with their desire to outrun and outwork out rhyme their peers and distancing. Them selves from compitition/ sometimes run risk of distancing themselves from fans and indivi