Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE (Discussion Thread)

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I wanted the hype to die down on the coli before I gave my thoughts.

I’ve listened to this about twice a day since it’s release, driving to work, at work, driving home, smoking. I’ve probably heard 20 times now.

I knew it was gonna take multiple listens to fully grasp this album and I’ve never done this with an album so soon after a release.

But this shyt is a classic. 5 mics, 10 out of 10, whatever fukkin rating system you like. This album is absolutely perfect and it’s probably the best shyt I’ve heard in about 5-10yrs.

This man has 3 full blown classics on his hands.
long time rap fan and I know a classic when I hear one. I don't throw the word around much

this is it a sure bet.

the album that keeps on giving

10:31

Superstar
Daps
long time rap fan and I know a classic when I hear one. I don't throw the word around much

this is it a sure bet.

the album that keeps on giving

I had my mind made up, and I didn’t see anything else coming this year to change it

This could edge Pusha’s shyt out and the young nikkas should listen to this album.

Gunna & X just dropped great projects in the wrong year.

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
These reviews are depressing I just don’t get what these people want from Lupe if that ain’t it

Superstar
Daps
These reviews are depressing I just don’t get what these people want from Lupe if that ain’t it

Lupe’s abstract political views rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

Much like J Cole’s will (assuming you read what he said about the 2016 election and his thoughts on voting).

Remember, Lupe fell out of favor. Once Lasers was being held up and he started talking about the innocent people being killed by drones (Obama was recognized as the drone President for his aggressiveness of dropping them thangs) at the Obama administration’s discretion

Those same folks who put him in position were poised to tech him a lesson. The labels are run by Jewish and white liberals

Lupe went from the safe Muslim conscious rapper skater guy who could be controlled to the outspoken rebel guy...

History will make sure he gets his just due don’t get hung up on reviewes that don’t even mention the album or it’s content

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I had my mind made up, and I didn’t see anything else coming this year to change it

This could edge Pusha’s shyt out and the young nikkas should listen to this album.

Gunna & X just dropped great projects in the wrong year.

I'm with you.

I had

Daytona
Drip season 3
Kids see ghost as my top 3 projects

But lu has the top spot now

Now its

Drogas WAVE
Daytona
Drip Season 3

ChiTownGuevera

All Star
Daps
The only corny songs on t & y is blur my hands and no scratches.

The rest of the album was fukkin flames
definitely no scratches and blur my hands and I've always skipped on deliver..the hook on there is unbearable imo.. ...
Only songs I still bump to this day are body of work, adoration, and little death and sometimes Mural and prison1&2 when I'm in the mood for it. There's not much replay value on other songs on the album even tho they fit well with the theme of the album...:yeshrug:

ChiTownGuevera

All Star
Daps
The only thing I disagree with here is you said he has 3 classics. I say 4 for sure.

T&Y is mind blowing. I don't agree with the corny hooks or filler tracks stance at all that @ChiTownGuevera is referring too.

Prisoner 1 & 2 is arguably his best song, definitely up there. Mural speaks for itself, Little Death is amazing, Chopper, Adoration of Magi, Madonna, Dots & Lines, TRON....

Blur My Hands (which Lupe said he regrets putting on there) is definitely the weakest track, but not a bad record. And having gone through a bad break up at the time, No Scratches was super relatable for me. Can't co-sign this at all.

The only reason people were saying DW is Lupe's first great project since The Cool is because half the folks claiming that don't even know T&Y exist lol.
or maybe this explains why people feel the way they do about lupe's music since the cool :ehh:

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Pitchfork really gon give Drogas Light a higher score than this?!

Shameful really. Little to no mention of the issues he's speaking on or him having the best production on here in his career

Just hung up on the concept not sticking through the whole project. They give your run of the mill mumble/trap release more rope than this

They really need to stop reviewing hip-hop period if Playboi Carti made a better album than Lupe and Roc Marci in their eyes

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
They super trash. That roc marci review was shameful. Pretty much gsve it a bad review for him saying anti gay shyt or something.

This getting a 6 while die lit gets a 8 or something :mjlol: I only wanted him to get a good review so more people.would check this masterwork out. fukk p4k for hiphop reviews generally

Superstar
Daps
They super trash. That roc marci review was shameful. Pretty much gsve it a bad review for him saying anti gay shyt or something.

This getting a 6 while die lit gets a 8 or something :mjlol: I only wanted him to get a good review so more people.would check this masterwork out. fukk p4k for hiphop reviews generally

See what I’m saying

Clear agenda, anytime a review doesn’t center around the actual album, or in this case a bar without context

There is something deeper at play

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
  • They super trash. That roc marci review was shameful. Pretty much gsve it a bad review for him saying anti gay shyt or something.

They gave Roc Marci a bad review? And also. imo. He has album of the year. This album is top 3 tho.

Da_Eggman

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla

I fucc with Die Lit heavy but it got like a 8.6 :francis: In pitchfork world that’s like legendary status

Looking back at there reviews

Nas: The Lost Tapes Album Review | Pitchfork

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
“Trap music meets trapezoids, fake his own death
Then roll rocks like asteroids to the crest
Think outside the box, I wrap a toy in a check
Then watch a (Sisyphus) sissy fuss with a boy in a dress
Mad at the world, in a voice of a man
With a bag of a girl, she just avoids the success
It's what he said, or what she said
Double entendre no matter how you play it”

This nikka Lupe breh...

tenor.gif

Da_Eggman

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
definitely no scratches and blur my hands and I've always skipped on deliver..the hook on there is unbearable imo.. ...
Only songs I still bump to this day are body of work, adoration, and little death and sometimes Mural and prison1&2 when I'm in the mood for it. There's not much replay value on other songs on the album even tho they fit well with the theme of the album...:yeshrug:
Funny cuz I love Deliver and that hook cuz it’s true they legit won’t deliver pizza to certain areas :wow:

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

They're so preoccupied with being some sort of voice of the zeitgeist or some shyt that it detracts from their reviews almost every time

There's nothing wrong with being articulate and verbose, but when the actual criticisms are shaky and based on the identity politics and branding surrounding that artist, they lose credibility.

They can't seem to detach identity from music. Every review starts with the reviewer giving you some historical context or essentially "reviewing" their career.

Look, it's not as cool to like Lupe Fiasco in 2018 as it is Cardi B or Playboi Carti, everyone knows that. I'm not listening to get clout or remind people how informed or current I am. I fukk with the bars, beats and content on here HEAVY. I like seeing someone who is a master of his craft, deliver the album that his fans wanted.

For a publication that promotes intellectualism and equal rights so heavy in their content, they're dedicated to validating the most vapid, brainless and anti-intellectual Hip Hop... Almost as if that's what they think Hip Hop should be. Low effort, microwave, turn up shyt etc

This review is the perspective of someone who made it very clear that Lupe is past his prime and guilty until proven innocent. fukk that :camby: