Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE (Discussion Thread)

10:31

Superstar
Daps
"Cripple" is smooth af.
:wow:
I fukking love this album. This the Lupe I needed back, pause.

Album of the last five years.

How do you think it compares to
screen-shot-2015-03-11-at-11-50-26-am.png

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
He’s also penned verses for greats

Greats that I have ranked higher than him lol..

As far as his impact, maybe you could argue he played a critical role in the skater wave but Lu really wasn’t a skater..

A lot of MCs influenced Kendrick and Cole, I think Lupe’s name is often paired with theres because he fell out of favor with his label which played a role in those two taking his spot in the mainstream hip hop scene
His name gets paired with there’s but his impact was felt by more artists than just them. I’m talking respected artist

Like the whole TDE camp, Chance The Rapper, Wale, Meek Mill, Vince Staples, etc.

A lot of these nikkas who actually RAP and have stripes view Lupe as one of the greats. So when nikkas on the coli act like it’s only some sacrilegious internet nerd sect that has Lupe ranked at a high level it leaves me kinda puzzled.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
I hope it's better then that basura ashtray drogos light.

That album was intentionally a collection of throw away tracks to get fully off Atlantic as fast as possible.

This album is an independent project and 100% what he wants to do.

I think it's safe for you to hit play.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

I think Kendrick orchestrated the hell out of this album and the theme. Its got all time great instrumentation and production.

Wave of course is better and more dense lyrically (Kendrick was no slouch either) and the production fits Lupe like a glove.

I was really blown away the first time I heard TPAB because even though i loved Kendrick and GKMC, i didn’t know he was capable of what he did on TPAB. Songs like How Much A Dollar Cost, Complexion, and Mortal Man with the Pac sample at the end were just fukking awesome.

Whereas with Wave, because of Lupe’s pedigree, i EXPECTED greatness (and wasn’t disappointed) because I just KNEW he wasn’t gonna fukk up the concept. This is Lupe’s magnum opus, amongst a discography that has at LEAST two other albums that could vie for that title. Lupe was born to be a great MC.

B!tchuoffendingme

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GTA
This album has the kind of creativity, spirituality and conceptual rapping that the whole industry praised with TPAB. In some ways, I wish Lupe was signed to RocNation, that way he would have a machine behind him like Kendrick and Cole do for themselves.

B!tchuoffendingme

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GTA
More dense and more challenging lyrically. Kendrick is a highly intelligent guy, but Lupe might have a genius level intellect when it comes to the art of poetry.

I think the one and only area where Kendrick has Lupe beat is aggression on the mic. Thats it.