Losing their religion: why US churches are on the decline

RareHunter

All Star
Daps
This is not a one to one comparison. This is actually a terrible comparison. A better comparison would be comparing people who "hate" god to people who truly believe in astrology.
How. You trust science as God. You trust in yourself as a God. You arr like Eve in the Garden believing they can become God or are God.

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
How. You trust science as God. You trust in yourself as a God. You arr like Eve in the Garden believing they can become God or are God.
I trust the scientific method more than anything. I trust myself as the person who is in control of my life and my actions. I don't look at myself as a god. I look at myself as another individual on this earth.

RareHunter

All Star
Daps
I think Christianity was a detriment to the black community. It made us too soft, and we spend too much time praying for miracles, instead of taking action to improve our lives.

Plus, religion is taught as if God is going to punish you if you do anything wrong. We see too many bad people getting away with things.
Matthew 5:45
so that you may [show yourselves to] be the children of your Father who is in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on those who are evil and on those who are good, and makes the rain fall on the righteous [those who are morally upright] and the unrighteous [the unrepentant, those who oppose Him].

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Those philosophy courses nor critical thinking hasn’t helped you, considering you didn’t answer his question in the slightest in a way that made any sense. You sound brainshwashed and indoctrinated perfectly by the institution you went to. You sound institutionalized. Common words from educated people are “critical thinking”, “philosophy”, we need more “education”.

A Bible thumper saying I’m indoctrinated is some funny ass shyt.

:dead:

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
I'm agnostic. Grew up in a COGIC church though. Havn't been to church in decades.

But I realize most people need structure. I wish it wasn't wasted on a church but if that provides it then so be it.

You go into any hood in America, you’ll see 4 churches on one block

That is my biggest problem with the black church

The Jews have one synagogue everyone goes to, same with the mosque for muslims

now imagine if those 4 churches combined all their resources, membership, community outreach etc
You hit it...twice. Consolidate and grow.

Too many chiefs not enough Indians.
They still doing 4 hour church??? Wtf
In COGIC (which is Pentecostal) church is an all day event.

From Sunday school at 7 am to Sunday night church at 7 pm.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Hate to say it but going way back to the Catholic Church, they kept their power (along with the Crown) by keeping peasants woefully uneducated and the Priest being the sole gateway for confession, baptisms, funerals, and tithes....

Once the printing press came in Europe and people became more educated, well there comes Protestants...then the Catholic/Protestant beef, Age of Enlightenment and so on.

An educated person can deduce to believe or not to believe.

The difference ultimately is we can see the dirt religious leaders do via the internet.

Wasn't an option even 20 years ago...

I agree with this,alot of hypocrisy has been exposed.

Also im curious,for all the young christians who have been lost. How many have been replaced by youth on a "spiritual path". I actually have no problem with these churches closing. The way god is taught in most of these churches,I dont feel properly represent god anyway#NotMyGod

Being on a spiritual path just means you havent figured out what you believe. Or that there is no religious denomination invented yet, that quite defines what you believe god to be. I only consider myself a christian because its the closest umbrella.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
I'm not religious but this is sad to see imo..the older I get the more I realize that human beings as a society need structure
Yep, this is kind of where I'm at. Not sad really since all things eventually come to end...but most people need structure. Unfortunately at this time in human history, a church is the best source for that.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I didn't even think about this but you're spot on...money is the new religion

A lot of people are mentally enslaved with being in a damn cubicle for 5 days a week, that they forget that a whole world is outside of an office. So when they get less than 48 hours to themselves every week to do every aspect of humanity like going outdoors, sleeping later, moving at a comfortable pace, the last thing people are concerned about is going to wake up EARLY on a Sunday Morning to pray to God in a temple or church and waste all the good hours of Sunday.

I'm a believer of God, just that institutions need to change their anarchic way of thinking.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
People believe in a Higher Power, God etc.

The problem is that people don't wanna follow a preacher that encourages humility while driving a Lambo and living in a $10 million mansion.

On top of that, I've been in far too many sermons where there's negative talk about gay people but NOTHING spoken about out of wedlock babies, men/women smashing whatever etc. Some random (open not DL) ghey breh is not gonna have much impact compared to some breh with 6 baby mommas or some broad with 5 baby daddies.

you just described a significant portion of their customers.:heh: