Losing their religion: why US churches are on the decline

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
can't easily finesse the most educated generation in history when the information super highway exists too.:pachaha:
Yeah. I had to have a conversation with a friend. Being religious made me feel stupid and didn’t bring me peace. I believe in God but that’s the extent of it.

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
You can’t pray away racism

God isn’t saving black people from being murdered by police

Kids are being molested in churches and the pastors/preachers/priests are getting away with it.

And never forget THIS happened

Also THIS

And a whole bunch of THIS

Church ain’t nothing but a scam

If the church ain't providing a safe place for people, assisting the community, etc. You might as well be outside.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
can't easily finesse the most educated generation in history when the information super highway exists too.:pachaha:

Something had to give when you see people from Gen Y and Gen Z getting degrees and engaging in numerous topics that require critical thinking, at record numbers. A major setback to organized religion is an educated populace. Look at Western Europe and how churches are being converted to night clubs and bars.

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
I'm not religious but this is sad to see imo..the older I get the more I realize that human beings as a society need structure

Problem is that people are overworked mentally by getting higher degrees and mentally demanding professions that stresses longer than 40 hour workweeks. Add the increasing cost of living, no one wants to listen to organized religion when Monday to Friday is once massive clusterfukk of structured BS

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
Keeping it a buck, most Americans don't really believe in God already imo. The lifestyles and ideologies I'm seeing can't be held by people who believe in what the Bible kicking. They definitely don't believe in heaven or hell. It's just not safe to admit it publicly yet. Even celebs that are atheist keep it low-key and don't talk about it much if at all.

The only issue I have is people start believing they are God to the people around them.

The last decade with the rise of those Sunday Funday brunch parties, its basically lights out for smaller churches. A couple of them around my way are on the verge of shutting down.

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
It's almost like the churches aren't actually preaching the values of the religion any more and having that translate to how they treat other people and who they support politically.

It's almost like churches would be more popular if they preached the original gospels centered around respecting those who are different, forgiving people, stewardship of the environment and shunning violence and the pursuit of wealth for its own sake.

dr. pill biden

All Star
Daps
It's almost like the churches aren't actually preaching the values of the religion any more and having that translate to how they treat other people and who they support politically.

It's almost like churches would be more popular if they preached the original gospels centered around respecting those who are different, forgiving people, stewardship of the environment and shunning violence and the pursuit of wealth for its own sake.
aint no way, cuz its plenty of churches that are faithful to the gospels but 9/10 people don’t find it fun or exciting to live that way, it’s literally picking up the cross. jesus said that over and over again, so really what you see isn’t really all that surprising nor the fault of the church per se. the way is strait and narrow and each and every person is free to choose it but most won’t

Hoodoo Child

The Urban Legend
Daps
Reppin
The Crossroads
Would you be rather at home watching football or at brunch sipping mimosas eating good OR sitting on a uncomfortable ass pew listening to some loud ass muufacka tell you how evil you are and that you’ll burn in hell forever….while finessing you out of 10% of your earnings.

:camby:
:russ:

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
More educated people equals less religious population :manny:

Religions came about as a way to explain the unknown

Yall really believe people are more educated today? Then they were back when church attendance was at all time highs?
wVDOf3.gif

Only thing these people have now is more knowledge of degeneracy.

invalid

Banned
Daps
Other than passages that lay out the laws of slavery that Christianity borrows from the Torah? :skip:

The European powers certainly outlawed slavery at home, but only after they outsourced the need for slavery to their colonies - and they certainly used Christianity to justify making the African/indigenous majorities an economic and political working underclass in those colonies, not really that far off from the Antebellum slavery and then Jim Crow of the United States.

And even then, they only did so well after they Christianized, literally hundreds of years after they first did so, actually.

I believe in God, but let's keep it a buck here. You don't need to deny or stay ignorant about the history of Christianity as a colonizing and oppressing tool for Western Europe to stay faithful.

It would seem to me, understanding Judeo Christians ideas, that the evolution of making African/Indigenous minorities an underclass was brought about by Europeans elevating whiteness to deity, thus, in effect, become idolators. If Africans and indigenous populations became subhuman, it meant that they were not made in the image of God who purportedly made man in his image. Europeans diverged from Christianity and became idolators when they placed themselves and whiteness in the place of God and made divisions based off who were not white like them. It's the same for American protestantism and white nationalism. It's idolatry, not Christianity.

I think Christianity was a detriment to the black community. It made us too soft, and we spend too much time praying for miracles, instead of taking action to improve our lives.

I use to think that there was space to be pro-black and Christian. As I get older, I'm starting to realize that the ideas that came forth from Christ are so revolutionary, that there really isn't any space for "blackness" or "whiteness". And yes, it's puts black people who consider themselves Christian between a rock and a hard place because white people have so weaponized Christianity with whiteness, black people have no recourse but to fight back with blackness. But it's incongruent with the Sermon on the Mount. I think MLK realized this which is why at the tail end of his life, he was trying to unite and galvanize all people who were victims of capitalism, hence the Poor People's Campaign, which I think embodied Christian ideas the most, and why he really became a threat. True Christians ideas are a threat to mainstream societies which is why Christ proclaimed that his kingdom isn't of this world. The Black Panthers, who, I don't think were religiously affiliated, appeared to be moving in this direction as well.

Last edited:

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yall really believe people are more educated today? Then they were back when church attendance was at all time highs?
wVDOf3.gif

:gucci: This can be demonstrated objectively.

The problem today is the education system hasn’t caught up with technology.

People have ready access to too much information and not enough skills in learning how to source and evaluate that information. Logic, critical thinking and sources evaluation should be taught as early as middle school.

The most valuable classes that I took in college were the philosophy classes I look in on logic and critical thinking.

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
wVDOf3.gif

Yes. And its not a belief , its statistical facts. We are doing better in almost all metrics than we were in previous decades

black-high-school-attainment-nearly-on-par-with-national-average-figure-01.jpeg

And more.....

black-high-school-attainment-nearly-on-par-with-national-average-figure-02.jpeg