Looks like I missed my chance to get an 190k a year job brehs

L0Qutus

All Star
Daps
An option could be going the public sector route and leveraging student loan forgiveness (while it is still available).
Public Service Loan Forgiveness

I don't know if you want to work for the government for 10 yrs but FFIEC-related agencies pay more than regular federal agencies and you wouldn't have to put in those crazy hours.

You should also look at federal financial regulatory agencies located in New York like the FDIC, SEC, or NY Federal Reserve.

ultraflexed

Superstar
Daps
Shelf life in big law is 5-6 yrs at best if you're not on the partnership route anyway, or given that "of counsel" designation. Or they transfer out by securing a lateral position at other firms depending on that book of business. Most max out at Sr. Associate then move on to government especially in the DC area. Or vice versa...start off in government then transfer to big law, if that's your aim. Could also try for General Counsel position at a corporation. Financial firms, need law degrees in compliance depts. The only way you're looking at 60k to start off is if you take a glorified doc review position, an entry level at a startup or boutique law firm, local government or public defender. BigLaw firms do hire for staff attorney positions outside of the summer associate hiring.
See, this is the bueaty of @Nicole0416 when you guys aren't trolling the sh#t out of her

OC's finest

All Star
Daps
You'll do better than 60k.

I didn't get a big law job, and I'm 7 years deep and doing decent for myself. Just stick the path bruh.

You Win Perfect

bow down
Daps
I go to an elite law school that the major law firms in the country hire from. They hire in the summer of your 1st year of law school and you work there the next summer and after graduation and they a pay a ridiculous amount of money (190k a year + bonuses).

However, I got mediocre grades by law school standards all Bs and B+'s. I didnt get a job from on campus interviewing and now have been applying like crazy to major firms all across th country with no luck. Once August is over these major firms rarely hire and are preparing for the next recruiting cycle next year for the next crop of first year law students.

So, if I dont by miracle get a job I'll be lucky to get a 60k a year job at a small firm or government. Get bad grades brehs, fukk up the bag brehs.

:francis:
:wow:
:mjcry:
you'll be ok. costly mistake but maybe you should leave here and get your priorities in order then come back to the coli.

Balla

Superstar
Daps
Really ? Why so many people wanna go to law school for? Just the title ?

Why that dude ain't get a job? What he do now?

I left law school to go in the Army

I met a dude while there who was finishing up his 3rd year

Dude got his Bachelor's from Temple (all student loans)

And had all loans for law school

His 1st year of law school his loan only was enough to pay tuition
So he lived out his car
And the janitor at the school let him in early to shower and shyt

Grades were regular

This dude finished and had over 200k in student loans :mjlol:

The only job he got was in Kentucky for the DAs office making 27k:mjlol:

nikka was homeless for a year to make a cashier salary:mjlol:

The average lawyer in America doesn't make close to 50k:wow:

So glad I left that shyt

The army paid off the student loans
Gave me a 20k signing bonus
And gave me the post 911 gi bill

I got out the army started privately contracting and did aight:wow:

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
Really ? Why so many people wanna go to law school for? Just the title ?

Why that dude ain't get a job? What he do now?
One

Lawyers in the NorthEast make the most $ over all

But over the past 30 years
There have been way more lawyers than the need for them

Due to all the numerous TV shows about them
People went to law school
Add in the fact that
Law schools sounds way easier than me school
And less time
And the perception that all them balling

There has been inflated # of lawyers

But the cream rises to the top
So if u grad from a top tier law school with good grades u will get paid

But if u just a regular student from a lower tier its a crap shoot

I went to a low tier law school

NEW ENGLAND SCHOOL OF LAW
in Boston
I didn't get accepted to Brooklyn school of Law or NYU:francis:

I actually enjoyed my classes
Except Property Law:stopitslime:

But I thought about it and wanted to go in the military and not look back when I got old and wished I would have

So I left

I wasn't gone be a high paid lawyer coming outta that school
So I was like:manny:

Bounced
Was going into the marines then switched to Army

Last edited:

Balla

Superstar
Daps
what are law classes like ?

how much debt did you have?

what happened to the dude in debt by 200k?

seems like such a waste, with that type of shyt I would've just took the money and balled tf out while getting a master's in something else.

At least it would've been fun.

:yeshrug:

One

Lawyers in the NorthEast make the most $ over all

But over the past 30 years
There have been way more lawyers than the need for them

Due to all the numerous TV shows about them
People went to law school
Add in the fact that
Law schools sounds way easier than me school
And less time
And the perception that all them balling

There has been inflated # of lawyers

But the cream rises to the top
So if u grad from a top tier law school with good grades u will get paid

But if u just a regular student from a lower tier its a crap shoot

I went to a low tier law school

NEW ENGLAND SCHOOL OF LAW
in Boston
I didn't get accepted to Brooklyn school of Law or NYU:francis:

I actually enjoyed my classes
Except Property Law:stopitslime:

But I thought about it and wanted to go in the military and not look back when I got old and wished I would have

So I left

I wasn't gone be a high paid lawyer coming outta that school
So I was like:manny:

Bounced
Was going into the marines then switched to Army

Zach Lowe

what up beck
Daps
What’s the path for the 80% of students who don’t get big law gigs. I’m sure there have to be other ways to eat coming from a T14 program. Entertainment law? Real estate? Can you go straight to corporate or do those roles usually only go to people leaving big law firms?

But yea, if you’re not the top 10-15% of your class, you’re not landing big law :francis:

Better find an area of law you’re passionate about and go that route since chasing the $ didn’t work :manny:

Edit: you can also look into consulting jobs at MBB, I know they do tend to hire some JD’s into their associate classes. I believe they all start at 130-150k
like half to 3 quarters get biglaw at any worthwhile (T14, T20, whatever) law school
unless you know that OP goes to some shyt law school (he says it's elite) you're talking nonsense
also MBB wouldn't recruit at such a shytty school nor would they take some reject who can't even land law

Last edited:

Zach Lowe

what up beck
Daps
I go to an elite law school that the major law firms in the country hire from. They hire in the summer of your 1st year of law school and you work there the next summer and after graduation and they a pay a ridiculous amount of money (190k a year + bonuses).

However, I got mediocre grades by law school standards all Bs and B+'s. I didnt get a job from on campus interviewing and now have been applying like crazy to major firms all across th country with no luck. Once August is over these major firms rarely hire and are preparing for the next recruiting cycle next year for the next crop of first year law students.

So, if I dont by miracle get a job I'll be lucky to get a 60k a year job at a small firm or government. Get bad grades brehs, fukk up the bag brehs.

:francis:
:mjcry:
If you're at the worst T14 (GULC) those B's and B+'s should put you around median or slightly below

and you're black which is a boost factor

and you still didn't land shyt? you're definitely making something up, maybe you have lower grades or worse school quality idk

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
If you're at the worst T14 (GULC) those B's and B+'s should put you around median or slightly below

and you're black which is a boost factor

and you still didn't land shyt? you're definitely making something up, maybe you have lower grades or worse school quality idk

top schools inflate grades. I am .3 below median. It is only a boost when you are at median or above.

Zach Lowe

what up beck
Daps
top schools inflate grades. I am .3 below median. It is only a boost when you are at median or above.
GULC's curve in 2009 was a 3.3 median that's as high as it gets (Duke and Cornell are also in that range) excluding the schools with fake grades, but you wouldn't be talking about B's and B+'s if your school just does fail/pass/honors or whatever the HYS norms are

there's no curve in the country set at 3.4-3.5 for your 3.1-3.2 to be .3 below

and that's bullshyt there are white students getting biglaw below median and you can't? if you're median or above as a black student at a T14 (that places more than 50% in biglaw) you'd be getting biglaw on merit alone without needing a boost, what are you talking about?

edit: maybe you cracked like a 3.05-3.1 and that's actually very bad in percentile/rank terms even though it's nominally not far below 3.3 because the distribution is tight? that at least makes some sense

Last edited: