Looks like I missed my chance to get an 190k a year job brehs

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
GULC's curve in 2009 was a 3.3 median that's as high as it gets (Duke and Cornell are also in that range) excluding the schools with fake grades, but you wouldn't be talking about B's and B+'s if your school just does fail/pass/honors or whatever the HYS norms are

there's no curve in the country set at 3.4-3.5 for your 3.1-3.2 to be .3 below

and that's bullshyt there are white students getting biglaw below median and you can't? if you're median or above as a black student at a T14 (that places more than 50% in biglaw) you'd be getting biglaw on merit alone without needing a boost, what are you talking about?

they dont want to hire black men, if you're not at median they wont hire you. The only black students that didn't get biglaw at my school are three black men. Multiple black women below median got jobs.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
like half to 3 quarters get biglaw at any worthwhile (T14, T20, whatever) law school
unless you know that OP goes to some shyt law school (he says it's elite) you're talking nonsense
also MBB wouldn't recruit at such a shytty school nor would they take some reject who can't even land law
If he goes to a t14, that’s not a shytty school and yes, some jd’s from those schools go into consulting, I’ve seen it firsthand. You don’t mow what you’re talking about...foh

Zach Lowe

what up beck
Daps
If he goes to a t14, that’s not a shytty school and yes, some jd’s from those schools go into consulting, I’ve seen it firsthand. You don’t mow what you’re talking about...foh
the worst T14 Georgetown places over half, you were talking about 10, 15% - so you don't know shyt
you said someone like OP who can't even land biglaw should look into MBB, in reality the MBB guys are top quality law students weighing V10 offers against MBB they're not empty handed

when did I say T14s are shytty or no JDs do consulting you're slow af

Zach Lowe

what up beck
Daps
they dont want to hire black men, if you're not at median they wont hire you. The only black students that didn't get biglaw at my school are three black men. Multiple black women below median got jobs.
how many black guys are there in your year at your T14, like 20-30 ish?
so all of them besides you 3 who got left out got above median grades? they had to in order to land jobs according to you

I'm not buying that, you'd expect about half to finish above median if law school talent is randomly distributed
you're suggesting what, like 17-27 finished above and 3 finished below?

but idk maybe median isn't a strict thing it's more of a spectrum starting from "below median but not egregiously so" and ending at "above median but not much better", that would be your out in this argument, idk the ins and outs of law recruiting just read some stuff years ago

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
how many black guys are there in your year at your T14, like 20-30 ish?
so all of them besides you 3 who got left out got above median grades? they had to in order to land jobs according to you

I'm not buying that, you'd expect about half to finish above median if law school talent is randomly distributed
you're suggesting what, like 17-27 finished above and 3 finished below?

but idk maybe median isn't a strict thing it's more of a spectrum starting from "below median but not egregiously so" and ending at "above median but not much better", that would be your out in this argument, idk the ins and outs of law recruiting just read some stuff years ago

there is only 8 black men in my year. 2 did public interest, 3 got big law and 3 of us didnt.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
the worst T14 Georgetown places over half, you were talking about 10, 15% - so you don't know shyt
you said someone like OP who can't even land biglaw should look into MBB, in reality the MBB guys are top quality law students weighing V10 offers against MBB they're not empty handed

No where did my post say 10-15%. Landing big law has nothing to do with landing consulting. Execute on the case and you’re in. Big law you need to be on track from summer one...again, how is mbb (and other reputable firms beyond them) not an alternative? Yea, that’s what I thought.

Zach Lowe

what up beck
Daps
No where did my post say 10-15%. Landing big law has nothing to do with landing consulting. Execute on the case and you’re in. Big law you need to be on track from summer one...again, how is mbb (and other reputable firms beyond them) not an alternative? Yea, that’s what I thought.
he won't get an interview, they'll have consultants with JDs (who know the deal as far as law school grading goes) sorting resumes and his below median grades will get him cut
they'll pick some Ivy undergrad + upper T14 kids who summered at a top law firm but said fukk law

"yeah bros who can't land (something considered good but very obtainable) should try for (something considered better and harder to obtain), that tends to work out a lot" - you

the only way he'd get interviews is if he had some outstanding credentials from before law school like summa at an Ivy, marshall scholar, etc. or worked at MBB previously but you'd think he'd be above median with such a track record or doing better things than law school

go read your post you said 80% out of T14s don't get biglaw, then you said you have to be top 10-15% to get it
you're out of touch and shouldn't be suggesting things that are unobtainable for OP at this time
should he apply to private equity and quant hedge funds too? fukk out of here

Astroslik

Veteran
Daps

Yup

Good luck getting MBB if you’re not at the top of your class. A lot of those students have prior work experience too. Only people I know who have gone this route had gotten there jd/mba.

As a jd you have to stand out if you want mbb, these firms don’t mind going to the business school of your t14 to poach top studendts. (and based off of OP and where he lives, my inclination it would be either Kellogg or booth school of business, both top tier MBA programs in the world)

And you can def don’t need to be top 10-15% to get big law at a t14, especially if you’re black. Hitting median is damn near good enough.

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
I am a Director at a t14 law school, which may or may not have been mentioned.

Everybody's career arc is not the same. You should become an RA (research assistant) for a professor in the area of law you want to get into. You should build up your network. Use your network, pass the bar, and build up your resume through volunteering, pro-bono work, clerking in the summer, and being an RA during the school yr.

My girl went to a state school for law school, graduated at 24 & is barred in 2 states. She makes $120k now and just turned 30. She's an attorney for the feds and works from home 3 days a wk. She had dreams of working for a big firm but by working for the govt, her loans will be forgiven in 5 more yrs.

Astroslik

Veteran
Daps
My girl went to a state school for law school, graduated at 24 & is barred in 2 states. She makes $120k now and just turned 30. She's an attorney for the feds and works from home 3 days a wk. She had dreams of working for a big firm but by working for the govt, her loans will be forgiven in 5 more yrs.
How are her loans being forgiven if she makes 120k? I thought LRAP had a cap as it pertains to income?

• Dap
Reactions: yyy

Zach Lowe

what up beck
Daps
Yup

Good luck getting MBB if you’re not at the top of your class. A lot of those students have prior work experience too. Only people I know who have gone this route had gotten there jd/mba.

As a jd you have to stand out if you want mbb, these firms don’t mind going to the business school of your t14 to poach top studendts. (and based off of OP and where he lives, my inclination it would be either Kellogg or booth school of business, both top tier MBA programs in the world)

And you can def don’t need to be top 10-15% to get big law at a t14, especially if you’re black. Hitting median is damn near good enough.
Yeah for sure, I think dora was an mba student so she might not understand the process for non-mba's. they can't even ask about your grades on that side of things

Are you a lawyer/law student? You'd probably even know even better than me about this String Bell character then, I only did this recruiting shyt in college

So he struck out in August for a 2L summer spot? Why would firms even be on campus that early, you'd think they'd want to see first semester grades for the 1L's so they'd show up in January to March or something. And they'd probably interview 2L's and the graduating class around the same time too just to cut down on trips and time spent on presentations

but idk I never went through it

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
I am a Director at a t14 law school, which may or may not have been mentioned.

Everybody's career arc is not the same. You should become an RA (research assistant) for a professor in the area of law you want to get into. You should build up your network. Use your network, pass the bar, and build up your resume through volunteering, pro-bono work, clerking in the summer, and being an RA during the school yr.

fed law school forgiveness doesn't cover all of the loan

They consider almost half of the loan to be a personal loan
Which they will not cover

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
Yeah for sure, I think dora was an mba student so she might not understand the process for non-mba's. they can't even ask about your grades on that side of things

Are you a lawyer/law student? You'd probably even know even better than me about this String Bell character then, I only did this recruiting shyt in college

So he struck out in August for a 2L summer spot? Why would firms even be on campus that early, you'd think they'd want to see first semester grades for the 1L's so they'd show up in January to March or something. And they'd probably interview 2L's and the graduating class around the same time too just to cut down on trips and time spent on presentations

but idk I never went through it

oci is done in 2 weeks in August. Call backs interviews can happen for another month afterwords. You dont know what the fukk you are talking about

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
How are her loans being forgiven if she makes 120k? I thought LRAP had a cap as it pertains to income?

She's on an income based repayment plan. She got promoted within last few months and the payment increases every time she gets a promotion.