Looks like I missed my chance to get an 190k a year job brehs

Warren Moon

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
you act like its easy for a law grade to just fall into those jobs

its hard to lateral in I-banking without a few years of corporate law experience under your belt.

Internship not lateraling.

And it’s hard at the bulge bracket banks. It’s not that hard at the elite boutiques, especially if you’re at a top law school*

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
No daps required but here's the truth...surf and post on thecoli instead of studying breh:francis:

I studied more than I have in my entire life
You don't understand how difficult law school is. You can right an A+ exam but if everyone else writes equally good exams you can end up with a B because it is a curved grading system. They have to get a certain amount of each grade.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Shelf life in big law is 5-6 yrs at best if you're not on the partnership route anyway, or given that "of counsel" designation. Or they transfer out by securing a lateral position at other firms depending on that book of business. Most max out at Sr. Associate then move on to government especially in the DC area. Or vice versa...start off in government then transfer to big law, if that's your aim. Could also try for General Counsel position at a corporation. Financial firms, need law degrees in compliance depts. The only way you're looking at 60k to start off is if you take a glorified doc review position, an entry level at a startup or boutique law firm, local government or public defender. BigLaw firms do hire for staff attorney positions outside of the summer associate hiring.

Lesfilles

Pro
Daps
Try for a General Counsel gig or be on retainer for a bunch of NGOs if you're in the DC area. IDK what your 'speciality' is but those DC area NGOs and research places always need legal advice.

kevin arnold

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just like medical.school...they want the elote..I'm seeing way too many new Asian and Indian doctors/dentists on the scene. Dont see that many in optometry yet.

Ehh Residency is more difficult to get into then medical school

Axolotl

Banned
Daps
Shelf life in big law is 5-6 yrs at best if you're not on the partnership route anyway, or given that "of counsel" designation. Or they transfer out by securing a lateral position at other firms depending on that book of business. Most max out at Sr. Associate then move on to government especially in the DC area. Or vice versa...start off in government then transfer to big law, if that's your aim. Could also try for General Counsel position at a corporation. Financial firms, need law degrees in compliance depts. The only way you're looking at 60k to start off is if you take a glorified doc review position, an entry level at a startup or boutique law firm, local government or public defender. BigLaw firms do hire for staff attorney positions outside of the summer associate hiring.
so is getting a law degree overrated??

Daps
so is getting a law degree overrated??

Extremely. There’s a finite amount of jobs paying giant money out the gate. And tuition alone is hitting like 50k/ per year at some of these places. You essentially invest 180k+ at a shot for a job paying 190k that you probably won’t last longer than 5 years in. And if you do get it, all the money you made probably went to your loans. So you’re 30+ with zero debt, but you spent the last 5 years doing a stressful job you probably hate. And that’s 1 of the better outcomes.

The alternative is graduate with no or a low paying job and get crushed by your debt.

For the vast majority of people who go to law school it’s not worth it.

BlaqkSpliffin

Ni**as Still Weird - Me
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Are you going to an elite school like OP?
Depends on what you consider "elite". I'm applying to Georgetown, Columbia, and Howard. My adviser said I have a good chance at getting into whatever school I apply to so we'll see.