Live video: George Zimmerman Trial - jury selection, trial, verdict, eye rolling

RatherUnique

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He seriously could get off. This country has a morbid fascination with the idea of "self- defense." It is basically a romanticized virtue. If you tried to claim in another developed nation, that you were losing a fight, - in which you gave rise too, - and had to shoot the other person dead. You would be laughed right into a prison sentence. It's not like he was being beaten to the brink of death, or was defending himself from a gang of brutes that were pummeling him.

Daps
Not trying to be a smart azz or anything... But I keep seeing people make posts saying that the Martin family should have gotten better lawyers.... The prosecution works for the state of Florida.... The family does not hire the prosecution to prosecute the case... The Martin family does however hire family lawyers who represent them and speak on their behalf in public... But they have nothing to do with the prosecution of the case... Just wanted to clear that up....

I was wondering when I was readin these last few pages if anybody was gonna mention this.

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
He seriously could get off. This country has a morbid fascination with the idea of "self- defense." It is basically a romanticized virtue. If you tried to claim in another developed nation, that you were losing a fight, - in which you gave rise too, - and had to shoot the other person dead. You would be laughed right into a prison sentence. It's not like he was being beaten to the brink of death, or was defending himself from a gang of brutes that were pummeling him.

:duck: in any other country EXCEPT a few European ones, homie would have either paid off the police and got away, done 1-3 years in jail TOPS or won his self defense claim.

As much as i hate to say we dont have the best legal system but we do have the most consistent one

Wallychamp

Kings Lose Crowns, Teachers Stay Intelligent
Daps
So when is the earliest we could potentially expect a verdict?

Before the trial started... They were saying that the trial was expected to last between 2-4 weeks... Depending on the flow of the trial

Wallychamp

Daps
For all the folks saying Zim will walk Scot Free, usually, a judge's instructions to the jury members (jury charge) prior to deliberation allow for them to convict of a lesser charge.

That's what I kept trying to tell everyone in this thread... They kept telling me I was wrong... Even though he's charged with 2nd Degree murder... He can still get the lesser Manslaughter charge if the judge instructs the jury to do that... A lot of legal experts were surprised the prosecution went with 2nd degree anyway because they were gonna have a harder time trying to prove Zimmerman had a "depraved mind" when he committed the act... But I don't think he gonna walk because the defense still has to prove Martin was the aggressor... And at this point it's still unclear who attacked who first... At best Zimmerman did commit Manslaughter because Manslaughter means he acted in negligence which resulted in a death....

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere...You never there.
That's what I kept trying to tell everyone in this thread... They kept telling me I was wrong... Even though he's charged with 2nd Degree murder... He can still get the lesser Manslaughter charge if the judge instructs the jury to do that... A lot of legal experts were surprised the prosecution went with 2nd degree anyway because they were gonna have a harder time trying to prove Zimmerman had a "depraved mind" when he committed the act... But I don't think he gonna walk because the defense still has to prove Martin was the aggressor... And at this point it's still unclear who attacked who first... At best Zimmerman did commit Manslaughter because Manslaughter means he acted in negligence which resulted in a death....

Right. Keep tellin' em. One of the biggest travesties in the world is allowing misinformation and untruths to go unchallenged.

Suicide King

#OldBlack
Daps

I still don't understand how it comes down to if Martin attacked Zimmerman first.

In the State of Florida, if someone walks towards you in a confrontational manner and you fear great bodily harm, you can blow their head clean off and it will hold up in a court of law.

I really don't see how Trayvon acted unreasonably in this situation, the law does not support Zimmerman confronting Trayvon. Trayvon was the victim, win, lose, or draw. They making Trayvon out to be in the wrong.

RatherUnique

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:duck: in any other country EXCEPT a few European ones, homie would have either paid off the police and got away, done 1-3 years in jail TOPS or won his self defense claim.

As much as i hate to say we dont have the best legal system but we do have the most consistent one

I specifically said developed nations. I don't think we should be comparing ourselves to Sudan, or Bangladesh. What do you mean we have the most "consistent" legal system? In what way?

Wallychamp

Daps
I still don't understand how it comes down to if Martin attacked Zimmerman first.

In the State of Florida, if someone walks towards you in a confrontational manner and you fear great bodily harm, you can blow their head clean off and it will hold up in a court of law.

I really don't see how Trayvon acted unreasonably in this situation, the law does not support Zimmerman confronting Trayvon. Trayvon was the victim, win, lose, or draw. They making Trayvon out to be in the wrong.

That's basically the case though... Proving who attacked who first... Zimmerman didn't break the law by following Martin... If Zimmerman can prove that Martin attacked him first and he was in fear in of his life then the stand your ground law would apply to him.... But the problem is no one is clear on who the agressor was... Who attacked who first... I personally think that stand your ground law can be abused in certain situations... If he does beat this case this a prime example.... Hopefully they can at least get Manslaughter... Because the prosecution is having an uphill battle proving 2nd Degree Murder...