Live video: George Zimmerman Trial - jury selection, trial, verdict, eye rolling

El Bombi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
In Florida, yes you can. If you truly feel your life is danger and you own your weapon legally, you can claim it was in self defense.

The question is if Zimmerman was the aggressor (which I think he was), does that still apply? That's basically one of the most important factors the jury has to decide.

There have been some cases down here where someone was getting their ass whooped and shot in self defense and was not even charged. But in those cases they clearly were not the aggressor.

I'll try to pull some of them up.

The defense is not arguing stand your ground. Which what apply to what I highlighted in the bold.

Zimmerman showed no sign of being beat to death. If he was getting beat to death, then he would've spent days in the hospital.

El Bombi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the defense's claim in the opening statement was that the sidewalk was a "deadly weapon"

Zimmerman showed no signs of being beat to death. If so, the medical unit would've kept him in the hospital.

Losing a fight is not an excuse to shot someone.

Prolific_1011

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Miami-Wade County
:snoop: he was a witness. he actually saw things. he would be on the stand regardless. the prosecution calls witnesses first. so it's in their best interest to get him up there, and do their best to deal with his narrative. not act like he doesn't exists, and look bad when the defense puts him up there later

I think the fact that this case has people actually rooting for the prosecution has confused things. they're still the state, and have to present their case just like any other case

these people aren't random 'character witnesses'. they're actual witnesses

As an attorney (granted, not criminal), I am well aware of this. I was just putting it out there.

And I'm not rooting for the prosecution. In fact, I've stated all along that based on the evidence and the law, I don't see Zimmerman being convicted for 2nd degree murder.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Zimmerman showed no signs of being beat to death. If so, the medical unit would've kept him in the hospital.

Losing a fight is not an excuse to kill someone.

It doesn't even need that to be.

There are cases where the person who shot was in the losing end of a fist fight. I posted one above.

I'm just stating what the defense said in their opening argument

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
The defense is not arguing stand your ground. Which what apply to what I highlighted in the bold.

Zimmerman showed no sign of being beat to death. If he was getting beat to death, then he would've spent days in the hospital.

Actually, they are arguing stand your ground.

You're confused because they refused to have the case dismissed on the stand your ground law. That is not the same thing.

Basically, in Florida, you can go before a judge and ask for the case to be dismissed under Stand Your Ground provisions. If the Defense did that, and was denied, it would have been damaging to their case. Therefore, now they have a chance to bring it in to a jury in a trial.

Suicide King

#OldBlack
Daps
It doesn't even need that to be.

There are cases where the person who shot was in the losing end of a fist fight. I posted one above.

All I gather, its a very bad idea to fight or confront a stranger in Florida, he can and will blow your head clean off. Usually I would shoot a fair one, but not anymore. Slide a 4" cold steel in them, and break the blade.

El Bombi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Actually, they are arguing stand your ground.

You're confused because they refused to have the case dismissed on the stand your ground law. That is not the same thing.

Basically, in Florida, you can go before a judge and ask for the case to be dismissed under Stand Your Ground provisions. If the Defense did that, and was denied, it would have been damaging to their case. Therefore, now they have a chance to bring it in to a jury in a trial.

I thought they wasn't. But stand your ground go out the window, when you stalk someone on neutral property. Jeb Bush even mention this and said stand your ground didn't apply to what Zimmerman did.

Zimmerman to argue self-defense, will not seek 'stand your ground' hearing

Zimmerman to argue self-defense, won't seek stand-your-ground hearing - CNN.com

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
The key thing in that is finding what constitutes as a deadly weapon. Usually it's defined as an object that can be possessed and controlled to cause harm

It doesn't even need to be a deadly weapon. Fists are fine under the law.

Here is the key part of the law in Florida:

A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

The key part as I said, is whether this should apply to someone who is the aggressor and confronts a person. I'd argue that it does not.

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
All I gather, its a very bad idea to fight or confront a stranger in Florida, he can and will blow your head clean off. Usually I would shoot a fair one, but not anymore. Slide a 4" cold steel in them, and break the blade.

I think that's the point of it.

I thought they wasn't. But stand your ground go out the window, when you stalk someone on neutral property. Jeb Bush even mention this and said stand your ground didn't apply to what Zimmerman did.

Zimmerman to argue self-defense, will not seek 'stand your ground' hearing

Zimmerman to argue self-defense, won't seek stand-your-ground hearing - CNN.com

I just posted the law above. Don't get me wrong, I think Zimmerman was at fault and the aggressor, but it isn't a slam dunk legal case like you're making it to be. I thought the Casey Anthony case was a slam dunk case as well due to my personal emotions as a father and we saw how that ended up.

It's on the state to prove these things and for the defense to plant reasonable doubt.

the artist known az

Hail the victors
Daps
Reppin
TSC FA' Life #ByrdGang
It doesn't even need to be a deadly weapon. Fists are fine under the law.

Here is the key part of the law in Florida:

The key part as I said, is whether this should apply to someone who is the aggressor and confronts a person. I'd argue that it does not.

So why are the defense trying so hard to get the witnesses to say they heard/saw Trayvon slamming Zimmerman's head on the sidewalk? Are they trying to sell the attack too much?

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
So why are the defense trying so hard to get the witnesses to say they heard/saw Trayvon slamming Zimmerman's head on the sidewalk? Are they trying to sell the attack too much?

I don't know. Possibly. If they plant that in the Jury's head it only boosts their claim of self defense under the law but you read what the law states. A person doesn't need to be under the threat of death to use their weapon. Even a forcible felony is justification.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
the defense does like to play those games by just appealing to doubt. but at the same time they do need their own narrative if they really want to make a strong case

I think it was clear from their opening statement, that Trayvon having a 'deadly weapon', and Zimm fearing for his life, are part of that narrative