Linus Tech Tips getting Called out on their Trash Content

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
I like mkbhd. But when i saw that video of his team - couldnt help but feel disappointed. Cant blame him tho. He comes from an upper middle class background. His parents are successful educated professionals. Hes a suburban kid who probably grew up with not that many minorities in social circle.

He doesnt have to give others like him a spotlight or opportunity. But i hope hes aware of how hard it is for black content creators to be successful. Especially if youre trying to be genuine and not seek attention by acting like a caricature or be a narcissist.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

Was this video supposed to make me feel anything? No diss, I watch MKBHD's content. He comes off as very guarded (understandably), but he's as personable as a cardboard box IMO. That's by design I'm guessing.

Even on his podcast, he's not much different than his mainstream content.

Notorious 1 E.Y.E.

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the low end. southside chi
Cliffs - We not watching 44 minute videos anymore
:unimpressed:

• 00:00:00 In this section, the video raises concerns about the rushing and self-imposed deadlines at Linus Tech Tips (LTT) that are causing data errors and information errors. The video criticizes LTT for promoting accuracy and data-driven reviews while frequently making mistakes. It also highlights ethical concerns regarding LTT's misrepresentation of a small company's prototype and the auctioning off of the prototype without permission. Another ethical issue mentioned is the failure to notice and correct a mistake in a recent review, instead blaming the product. The video suggests that LTT's focus on entertainment and marketing may be compromising the quality and accuracy of their content. Additionally, excerpts from an LTT employee interview indicate that staff members also feel the pressure to prioritize quantity over quality due to restrictive time constraints.
  • 00:05:00 In this section, the creator of the video criticizes Linus Tech Tips (LTT) for their accuracy, ethics, and responsibility issues. They start by discussing an instance where LTT chose to publish misleading data due to a lack of qualifications and a focus on quantity over quality. The video creator argues that this intentional misinformation raises questions about LTT's motivations and suggests they prioritize hitting deadlines over providing accurate content. They acknowledge that making this video is uncomfortable but necessary to address these issues. The video also touches on LTT's connection to YouTube and other streamers, emphasizing that their aim is to bring transparency and improvement to the company. The section concludes by highlighting LTT's consistent errors in their reviews, suggesting a lack of attention to accuracy and reliability.
  • 00:10:00 In this section, the video highlights several errors made by Linus Tech Tips (LTT) in their reviews over the past year. One notable example is their RTX 4090 review, where LTT published a chart showing the card outperforming the 3090 TI by 300 percent in Cyberpunk, when it should have been closer to 72 to 75 percent. This error was due to LTT not properly setting their test parameters and checking for other dependencies during the setup. The video argues that LTT's slow response in acknowledging and correcting these errors, as well as their lack of attention to detail and basic research, raises concerns about their accuracy, ethics, and responsibility as a tech company.
  • 00:15:00 In this section of the video, the narrator criticizes Linus Tech Tips (LTT) for their inaccurate and inconsistent testing of coolers. They point out that LMG's own data is inconsistent, showing significant temperature differences between the Noctua NH-D15 and the Peerless Assassin when testing different CPUs. They also highlight errors such as LTT blaming NZXT's software for a liquid cooler performing worse than a stock cooler and the incorrect calculation of surface area. The narrator questions the endorsement of the Noctua NH-D15, suggesting it may be influenced by their close ties with Noctua, and points out the testing of the Peerless Assassin was done backwards. Additionally, they mention a review of the Amazon Basics cooler where LTT's data seemed physically impossible, indicating potential issues with their testing process. They also criticize LTT for mixing up power supplies in a Labs video and not paying attention to basic details, such as graph markers and accuracy in their videos.
  • 00:20:00 In this section, the video points out several accuracy issues with Linus Tech Tips, specifically regarding their reviews of the 5600x3D and 7950x3D. The video claims that LTT provided incorrect specifications for the CPUs, including cache sizes and L2 cache per core, and also displayed misleading graphics. Furthermore, the video criticizes LTT for being more concerned about getting the same results as AMD rather than focusing on their own findings. It also highlights the use of asterisk corrections in LTT's videos, suggesting that they are used to undo unfair criticisms or mistakes. Overall, the video argues that LTT's fast-paced content creation may result in rushed and inaccurate information.
  • 00:25:00 In this section, the video highlights some concerns about the accuracy, ethics, and responsibility of Linus Tech Tips (LTT). It is argued that LTT prioritizes frequency over quality, often leaving mistakes uncorrected in their videos. Additionally, the video points out potential conflicts of interest, such as LTT's investments in companies they cover and partnerships that may affect their objectivity in product reviews. These issues raise concerns about the reliability of LTT's content and the impact it can have on viewers' purchasing decisions. The video also mentions a specific example where LTT used an incompatible product in a video, misrepresenting its capabilities. Overall, the section raises questions about LTT's commitment to accuracy, ethics, and responsible reporting.
  • 00:30:00 In this section, the video criticizes Linus Tech Tips (LTT) for lacking accuracy, ethics, and responsibility. It highlights a specific incident where LTT improperly installed a product and drew conclusions based on invalid testing. This resulted in potential harm to a small company and its reputation. The video claims that LTT doubled down on their flawed testing methods and failed to communicate properly with the company. Additionally, it points out that LTT auctioned off a prototype without permission, potentially hindering the company's development. The video argues that reviewers should prioritize fairness and objectivity, especially if they market themselves as data-driven. It also mentions another instance where LTT made strong criticisms without providing a proper review.
  • 00:35:00 In this section, the excerpt discusses the issue with Linus Tech Tips misrepresenting the performance of a gaming mouse due to the protective film not being removed from its feet. The video initially claimed that the mouse had high friction, but it was later revealed that the film was the cause of the issue. Despite this correction, Linus Tech Tips chose to leave the original video up while processing a cut, which undermines the integrity of the product and its marketing. This lack of accountability and ethical responsibility is deemed unacceptable by the excerpt, as it misleadingly affects consumers, companies, and other reviewers. Additionally, the excerpt highlights the negative community response towards valid criticisms, further exacerbating the problem. The emphasis on publishing on a fixed schedule rather than ensuring accuracy and ethics is seen as a detrimental choice for a large media outlet.
  • 00:40:00 In this section, the speaker expresses frustration with the actions of Linus Tech Tips (LTT) and Linus Media Group (LMG), suggesting that they are acting in a careless and irresponsible manner. They criticize LTT's inaccuracies, bad data points, and misleading conclusions, suggesting that it can potentially harm individuals and mislead consumers. They also question the company's objectives, wondering if they prioritize consumers or the bottom line. Additionally, they highlight the lack of disciplined management and inexperienced employees as potential factors contributing to these issues. They emphasize the importance of accountability and holding everyone in the industry to the same standards. Despite wanting to return to testing products, they believe it is essential to address these concerns.
g lmao need a tl:dr

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
Was this video supposed to make me feel anything? No diss, I watch MKBHD's content. He comes off as very guarded (understandably), but he's as personable as a cardboard box IMO. That's by design I'm guessing.

Even on his podcast, he's not much different than his mainstream content.
It was in response to hoping he knows how hard it is for black content creators. There isn't going to be anything that can be posted to make you feel any different than how you feel.

Regardless how anyone "feels" about him personally, it seems weird to not want to acknowledge someone because they have a majority white staff in a majority white industry. Or wonder if he knows what it's like to be black in tech, when how could he not when the majority of the time he's the only black person in the room. These type of weird takes are worse than blatant racism in my opinion. We routinely expect people we would have never or still don't fck with to bend over backwards to put us in position off the strength. I don't feel like he's hiding or running from his blackness, just living in his circumstances of growing up around a lot of white folks.

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
Can’t believe they left those jokes in the apology video ….

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
Here is my heartfelt apology
and you know what else is heartfelt?
this segue...to our sponsor

It's the little things.

elg4TmJ.gif

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
LTT been fell off.

Breh the last time Linus was popping was when he was trying to go for the fences with breaking an unbreakable Chinese TV. The grim reality is that dude treated the content like Mojo, and you don't go full Mojo. You can't put out half-baked content and expect to just walk away from it easily. Then you have the overkill sponsors, the aggressive merch marketing, and oversatuarated content, the shyt became stale.

Reminds me of when the WWE basically dropped bullshyt (somewhat still do), because they had no rival company to step the game up. Bad enough, they decided to treat the hardware dudes like they are just a customer. Not realizing they have the flutes :francis: .

Sometimes, it's good to not war with a soldier that's still in the trenches. Especially, if you haven't fought a war since 2000s.

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
Breh the last time Linus was popping was when he was trying to go for the fences with breaking an unbreakable Chinese TV. The grim reality is that dude treated the content like Mojo, and you don't go full Mojo. You can't put out half-baked content and expect to just walk away from it easily. Then you have the overkill sponsors, the aggressive merch marketing, and oversatuarated content, the shyt became stale.

Reminds me of when the WWE basically dropped bullshyt (somewhat still do), because they had no rival company to step the game up. Bad enough, they decided to treat the hardware dudes like they are just a customer. Not realizing they have the flutes :francis: .

Sometimes, it's good to not war with a soldier that's still in the trenches. Especially, if you haven't fought a war since 2000s.

How do you go to war with Gamer Nexus out of all places ……

Them dudes will make a 45 minute video about power supply conditioning and make it sound riveting

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps

He got way too comfortable like you said.

Calling out Gamer Nexus under his breath was just stupid as fukk though.

They don't even come close to them.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It was in response to hoping he knows how hard it is for black content creators. There isn't going to be anything that can be posted to make you feel any different than how you feel.

Regardless how anyone "feels" about him personally, it seems weird to not want to acknowledge someone because they have a majority white staff in a majority white industry. Or wonder if he knows what it's like to be black in tech, when how could he not when the majority of the time he's the only black person in the room. These type of weird takes are worse than blatant racism in my opinion. We routinely expect people we would have never or still don't fck with to bend over backwards to put us in position off the strength. I don't feel like he's hiding or running from his blackness, just living in his circumstances of growing up around a lot of white folks.

Yeah, I think bushing him because employs white folks is a little weird. For all we know, breh might be making those hiring choices because he looks at his org chart and says "These crackers work for ME," or some shyt, we don't know.

What sucks is that the base of the intent is something I completely agree with: we absolutely need more representation in tech and content spaces from top to bottom. Just going off that shytty apology video from Linus Tech Tips as an example, that was a whole lot of white, white adjacent, and white aspiring faces.

But at the same time, when we know we don't have much of a foothold in the industry, trying to ignore someone wholesale because he's got a lot of white employees doesn't necessarily seem like it's the way to go either.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Yeah, I think bushing him because employs white folks is a little weird. For all we know, breh might be making those hiring choices because he looks at his org chart and says "These crackers work for ME," or some shyt, we don't know.

What sucks is that the base of the intent is something I completely agree with: we absolutely need more representation in tech and content spaces from top to bottom. Just going off that shytty apology video from Linus Tech Tips as an example, that was a whole lot of white, white adjacent, and white aspiring faces.

But at the same time, when we know we don't have much of a foothold in the industry, trying to ignore someone wholesale because he's got a lot of white employees doesn't necessarily seem like it's the way to go either.
Aren't those people that work for him just his friends? He comes across as the token black person in a circle of almost all white people to me at least.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
How do you go to war with Gamer Nexus out of all places ……

Them dudes will make a 45 minute video about power supply conditioning and make it sound riveting

I don't trust content creators that pronounce shyt with periods and exclamation points at the end of what they are saying :whoa:

gamers-nexus-1-1692128777105.jpg

This is the look of a steppah. The dingy hair and musty scent coming from the t shirt screams a body is getting caught :damn:

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Aren't those people that work for him just his friends? He comes across as the token black person in a circle of almost all white people to me at least.

No clue, really. Maybe?

But that's what I'm talking about. I don't know that him being a token black guy or not has much to do with him being an example of a successful black tech content creator. Why are we expecting absolute perfection from ourselves, and accepting others despite their bullshyt?