Lets talk about KRS-One being the most overrated oldschool lyricist

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
people defending krs are beating around the bush.

I don't think many-if any people said anything bad about krs. we're just saying that hes overrated as a lyricist.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
KRS was ahead of his time lyrically. I am not saying technically or skill wise. He was ahead of his time as far as content and what he was saying. Thats what made him so dope. Its hard comparing greats because they all were great in their own way. He was always about that battle shyt too. While LL was talkin bout making more than your pops and Ra was moving the crowd....Kris was talkin bout teachers teach and kings just rule and what is a king without a crown. He just took it some place else. They all played their part. Just like I told this dude that Kool Keith got nikkas to spit without rhyming....his response was that evolution is regardless. My point was just because evolution is inevitable...still it takes a lot to be a pioneer and that should be recognized. KRS did a lot of shyt that was just dope. From keeping the name as BDP to blending in the reggae flavor. He was different but still acceptable to the casual fan. Everyone has their favorites. My fav lyricist is G Rap...but when I talk to people and they say their favorite MC is KRS, I can absolutely see where they are comin from.

mitter

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Again Quality over quanity. Rakim arguably has the best discography

Paid In Full - Classic
Follow The Leader - Classic
Let The Rhythm Hit Em - Classic
Don't Sweat The Technique - Near Classic
The 18th Letter - Near Classic

Countless Classic songs. Rakim sticks to what makes him great and masters instead of being of jack of trades a master of none...which can equate to a lot of sh!tty albums and good albums with filler.

Criminal Minded - Classic

By All Means Necessary - Classic

Ghetto Music - Classic or near Classic (depending on your opinion)

Edutainment - Class or near Classic (depending on your opinion)

Sex & Violence - near Classic

Return of the Boom Bap - Classic

KRS-ONE - I wouldn't argue it's a classic, but it's DOPE

The stuff KRS has released from 1997-2013 has been a mixed bag, but you can say that about basically any old-school emcee. It is a product of not having top-notch production (working on a shoestring budget means you can't get the best producers, and even if you do, you can't pay for the necessary sample clearances). He's still produced a lot of dope songs to go along with the more questionable material. I'd rather some new, quality material to listen to than nothing at all.

KRS has as much quality in higher quantity

On the other hand, I think of all GOAT candidates (with the exception of Biggie), Rakim has the thinnest catalogue

Paid in Full had 7 songs that Rakim rapped on. Follow the Leader had 8.

Even The 18th Letter, which was released in the late 1990s when 14-20 songs was the norm, had 10 songs if you discount the skits and remixes.

Rakim also had only a small handful of guest appearances

mitter

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I am not sure what the basis is for this argument.

Sure, KRS might have some songs where his lyrics are more simplistic (they are often the reggae-flavored songs)

But he also has songs that, lyrically, are as good as anything I've heard from Kane, G Rap or Rakim

For example, "Poetry"

mitter

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So what exactly do you think makes for a good lyricist? Is it cramming a bunch of punchlines and multi-syllabic rhymes together? Or is it making whatever point you want to make in a smooth, coherent, well-crafted way that connects with listeners and evokes certain emotions?

In my opinion, it is a combination of all these things. Different emcees/lyricists shine in different ways.

For instance, is the song "Paid in Full" the work of a top-notch lyricist? Not many punchlines. Not a very complex rhyme scheme. But it's something you feel. The story and the imagery make the song.

What about "Eric B. is President"? Was that very "lyrical"?

I think, based on what many of you probably have in mind as far as being "lyrical", Kane and G Rap would have been the best. Kane had the best punchlines, G Rap had the multi-syllabic rhyme schemes. And with their rapid-fire deliveries, you come away impressed by the skill it takes to spit what they did.

Rakim didn't have rhyme schemes as intricate as G Rap or Kane, and he didn't have the punchlines. But he was a great lyricist because of the content of what he said.

I'd say the same about KRS, but in a different way.

Last edited:

Headcase

The Angry Young Man
Daps
Reppin
North Carolina
Big fan of KRS, even though to me the last listenable project he dropped was Survival Skills (and even that wasn't as good as Hip-Hop Lives, which was the last album I actually bought from him). But yeah, anybody saying KRS isn't lyrical obviously doesn't know what they're talking about.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Krs has always been better than Kool G Rap. This isn't even up for discussion.

the reason why I rate G Rap so high as a lyricist (close 2nd to Rakim) is because listen to G Rap now...in 2013. He is still getting work. Was on the Iron Fists soundtrack. G Rap has NEVER lost a step. Listen to Rakim in the 2000's. Listen to BDK. Their skill set is from the 90's. They cant rap today. Even if you look at someone like Prodigy or Pusha...guys that came after G Rap and are much younger in rap years...they have regressed and are not as lyrically potent as they once were. G Rap is still lyrically potent. KRS is not as potent as he once was but he aint totally fell off either.

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
So what exactly do you think makes for a good lyricist? Is it cramming a bunch of punchlines and multi-syllabic rhymes together? Or is it making whatever point you want to make in a smooth, coherent, well-crafted way that connects with listeners and evokes certain emotions?

In my opinion, it is a combination of all these things. Different emcees/lyricists shine in different ways.

For instance, is the song "Paid in Full" the work of a top-notch lyricist? Not many punchlines. Not a very complex rhyme scheme. But it's something you feel. The story and the imagery make the song.

What about "Eric B. is President"? Was that very "lyrical"?

I think, based on what many of you probably have in mind as far as being "lyrical", Kane and G Rap would have been the best. Kane had the best punchlines, G Rap had the multi-syllabic rhyme schemes. And with their rapid-fire deliveries, you come away impressed by the skill it takes to spit what they did.

Rakim didn't have rhyme schemes as intricate as G Rap or Kane, and he didn't have the punchlines. But he was a great lyricist because of the content of what he said.

I'd say the same about KRS, but in a different way.
Rakim's rhyme schemes were more intricate than G Rap and Kane. Just cause Ra didn't use punchlines like G Rap and Kane didn't mean is rhyme scheme were less complex. If all his songs were like Eric B is Pres and Paid in Full, you'd have point, but not with songs like Follow The Leader, Lyrics of Fury and Let the Rhythm Hit Em to name a few. He is the master and innovator of the internal rhyme in hip hop for a reason. G Rap and Kane were big on punchlines while Ra was kickin the metaphors.

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Criminal Minded - Classic

By All Means Necessary - Classic

Ghetto Music - Classic or near Classic (depending on your opinion)

Edutainment - Class or near Classic (depending on your opinion)

Sex & Violence - near Classic

Return of the Boom Bap - Classic

KRS-ONE - I wouldn't argue it's a classic, but it's DOPE

The stuff KRS has released from 1997-2013 has been a mixed bag, but you can say that about basically any old-school emcee. It is a product of not having top-notch production (working on a shoestring budget means you can't get the best producers, and even if you do, you can't pay for the necessary sample clearances). He's still produced a lot of dope songs to go along with the more questionable material. I'd rather some new, quality material to listen to than nothing at all.

KRS has as much quality in higher quantity

On the other hand, I think of all GOAT candidates (with the exception of Biggie), Rakim has the thinnest catalogue

Paid in Full had 7 songs that Rakim rapped on. Follow the Leader had 8.

Even The 18th Letter, which was released in the late 1990s when 14-20 songs was the norm, had 10 songs if you discount the skits and remixes.

Rakim also had only a small handful of guest appearances
Again quality over quanity...even on KRS classic albums he would have filler.

So you would rather had Rakim put some filler joints on 18th Letter so could have 14-20 songs. Cats had mad filler on good to great albums with 14-20 songs during that time. Universal should of left those 2 wack remixes at the end of 18th Letter. Rakim has a lot less wack joints than KRS because he folllowed the quality over quanity motto.

Ra has killled those small handful of guest appearances...ask Canibus, WC, Mobb Deep, Jody Watley or Alicia Keys. As for having guests on his albums...doesn't need em.

CAC Dogg

Rookie
Daps
I don't think KRS has ever made a filler song honestly, every song hes ever made has a point to it and he's not one to reuse rhymes or make CDs for $ or any of that so I really dont know what you are talking about (guy above me^).

If anything, there is filler on 18th letter... (wouldn't call it filler but some stuff on there I'd skip before anything KRS ever made)