Let's talk about books, brehs

Address_Unknown

Jesus Loves you...Your Cat doesn't. {#Dogset}
Daps
Got alot of books in here I need to add to my shelf, but I'll add a few that prolly won't get mentioned that are nice enough. I generally read fiction/sci-fi/weird shyt, so I'll keep it towards that and keep Classic/Cac shyt out of the way like Moby dikk, Ivanhoe and the complete works of Edgar Allen Poe(:wow:) out of the mix even though they are pretty good reads themselves if you into that sort.

51nCLh9sGVL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I wonder about alot of weird shyt and that's why I love books/Wikipedia/Tv Tropes. It indulges a breh's eccentric itch for knowledge on weird subjects. Plus I been privy to a few embalmings/cremations/wakes/"Morgue Parties." Last Dance with Mary Jane, type shyt. It's a good read.

51Nu5G7pOyL.jpg

I ain't saying much of anything on this shyt 'cause I don't wanna give anything away....just read it if you can. The other short stories are dope as hell too.:whew:

TSTRSMD1957.jpg

I kept hearing about this book around the time Deadspace 1 came out and a pawg I used to drop Acid with let me borrow her copy.:whew: If anyone loved the Count of Monte Cristo (One of my fave books:demonic:) You'll definitely enjoy this, I'd like to think. It's about a teleporter who gets attacked in his ship, everyone dies except him and then he gets dikked over by a passing vessel after waiting for 6 months, barely clinging to life and sanity and goes...Insane, with revenge and other things. shyt I might have to re-read this after schlocking through the bullshyt that was Armada just to cleanse my pallete.:scusthov:

51LBsKuhBKL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Back when I was on my Party and Bullshyt steeze and was drinking LSD water'n'shyt and eating Psilocybin mushrooms like candy, I was in Arizona/California for a month and did Peyote (mescaline) thinking that it was just another trip down the rabbit hole, no problem and experienced Ego Death
full
and got lost for a day and a half searching for familiar faces....and my penis (Laugh all you want, that shyt really did feel like it fell off when I went to pee and I couldn't find it.:mjcry:) Now I know the difference between having a good trip and a bad one and I work JUDICIOUSLY to make sure my trips are all good, but to just have my consciousness and self awareness melt out my nose, leaving me nothing more than a walking, shell, sentient enough to know that I'm alive and human but lacking the ability to know who I am (I couldn't recognize my face or who it was for), where I was or what I'm supposed to do....while listening to music. It was just...:mindblown::ahh::mjlol::mjcry:
When that shyt wore off (3 days later fully) and I was able to speak coherently and not just psycho babble ramblings of a man clearly melting his face off, someone gave me this book amongst alot of other books by Huxley/Leary/Kerouac that dealt with what I was going through and the experiences of others on it. Cac shyt to most of y'all, but if you do hallucinogens like me, it's something you should definitely read.

The_Whalestoe_Letters.jpg

You ever played the game Killer 7 or atleast know about it? I heard about this book and it's deliberate useage of unreliable narrators and unconventional methods (Missing chapters, pages with a few text on them, footnotes created about footnotes already in the book on some fictional diary shyt, characters conversing with each other weird ways) which might put some off of a book like this, but I like odd shyt and it was a good read. Enjoyed it thoroughly. That and the Whalestoe letters which is one of the last chapters in the book which was fleshed out more in a singular book.

41BuHOFZ1EL._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Imagine that the civil war never ended. Both sides came to an agreement and Slavery was still going on today. That's what this book pretty much about. It centres around this one black breh who's charged with chasing down runaways slaves in modern times. Alot of people disliked this book for obvious reasons :mjpls: while the other subset disliked the way it was pulled off, arguing that if Slavery was still present in today's society, alot of Black icons who are mentioned in the book would have never been as popular (MLK, MJ, Marcus Garvey etc..) or memorable and often complained that while the story in and of itself is good, the slavery aspect was poorly executed and shoehorned in as the main driving "Gimmick" behind the entire thing, but kill that noise, it's an entertaining story. Give it a go if you can.

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
I'm not really that big on Foucault.
He seemed to have had this hatred for modern medical treatment and mental illness/diagnosis, and I can't help but think it's because being a homosexual and borderline sadomasochist he resented it personally.
He did have interesting points on other things like the modern way we incarcerate/punish criminals though
I really think its more salient today, lotta dl white dudes popping shyt, knowing they dying. He was only saying the white perspective. He is not the end-all be-all, but i am incorporating his work into how i analyze others.

Address_Unknown

Daps
Man, looking through my book list there is this ONE book I swore I had took a picture of or wrote it down for my list but I can't find it for shyt. :mindblown:
I think it's about this black dude..I can't remember the era he was in, but somehow he got disfigured and a white family took him in 'cause he was friends with the white dude (A doctor I think?) and the town wanted to boot him out but the white folks hid him and in turn got ostracized and cast out or some shyt. I know, it's vague as fukk but it's a shot, fukk it.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Man, looking through my book list there is this ONE book I swore I had took a picture of or wrote it down for my list but I can't find it for shyt. :mindblown:
I think it's about this black dude..I can't remember the era he was in, but somehow he got disfigured and a white family took him in 'cause he was friends with the white dude (A doctor I think?) and the town wanted to boot him out but the white folks hid him and in turn got ostracized and cast out or some shyt. I know, it's vague as fukk but it's a shot, fukk it.
Anything else you can remember about it?

Fiction? True story?
Cover art?
Author male or female?
How old is the book?
Other summary notes?

Address_Unknown

Daps

Fiction? True story?
Cover art?
Author male or female?
How old is the book?
Other summary notes?

Fiction. That's about all I can remember.
I've got to pour through my notes/pictures/files because I'm sure I've it saved in SOME sense despite not seeing it right now. But then again I'm the type of guy to misplace shyt, like for real for real, I can't tell you how many times I've had to comb the smiley lists just to find shyt I should already know by memory.:snoop: being a perfect example of that shyt. I'll find it, I'm sure.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
G
currently reading The Invisible Man. Someone posted about it in another thread and I immediately ordered a copy.
Great book.

If read at the right time... Can be a defining and transitional moment.

I'm currently reading Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson. (Pulitzer Prize winning book) about the largest migration in U.S history... 8 million Black Americans from the South to the North across 7 decades.

^Such a smooth novel like read. Not "academia" at all.

I'm also reading Grapes of Math by Alex Bellos. I love math and some of the mathematical concepts discussed are mind blowing... Shout out to Zipf's Law and Benford's law.

Address_Unknown

Daps

Fiction? True story?
Cover art?
Author male or female?
How old is the book?
Other summary notes?

Found it. It's called
The Monster - By Stephen Crane.
I remember a professor from College telling me about this shyt a long while a go before I recently found it again.

TOAD99

Veteran
Daps
I Love reading :blessed:

Good shyt guys.

Lately I haven't had time to read that much. But right now I'm reading

All The King's Men by Robert Penn Warren. Really well written and immersive, it's basically supposed to reflect the life of Huey P Long, a governor of Louisiana. Shows the transition of the main character from an idealistic young man to a demagogue.

And I'm reading Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult which is basically about a case involving a black nurse and a white supremacist family :scust: who is accusing her of killing their kid.

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
I Love reading :blessed:

Good shyt guys.

Lately I haven't had time to read that much. But right now I'm reading

All The King's Men by Robert Penn Warren. Really well written and immersive, it's basically supposed to reflect the life of Huey P Long, a governor of Louisiana. Shows the transition of the main character from an idealistic young man to a demagogue.

And I'm reading Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult which is basically about a case involving a black nurse and a white supremacist family :scust: who is accusing her of killing their kid.

Just finished this. Def a good read.

51J9dyvF%2B%2BL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg