Let's talk about books, brehs

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
currently reading The Invisible Man. Someone posted about it in another thread and I immediately ordered a copy.

How is that book?

May be my next read

I'm currently reading: The Half Has Never Been Told : Slavery

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
My go to reccomendation for readers is The Alchemist. Anyone can pick this book up and enjoy it. It has some very solid life teachings wrapped into an inspirational story.

For people that enjoy reading a lot I reccomend reading the The Autobiography of Malcolm X.

My favorite book of all time is The Count of Monte Cristo.

The hunger games book are a very easy read if your just getting back into reading.

Really in enjoyed the Autobio of Malcolm X, everyone should read that

The Hunger games was good, I started off reading this, better than the movie

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
4th year grad student, i got a library starting
As far as what I am reading, Ive been binge reading Foucault.

l8QTE5Q.jpg

uu96UTr.jpg

hPoec0y.jpg

lSPbWCq.jpg

aHvuoz2.jpg

Yqrv9l4.jpg

fqL6j1M.jpg

Last edited:

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
@Papa Shango in the flesh what you need four yrs grad school for tho?

I fux w Foucault heavy but I imagine he's less popular on the Coli cuz of his orientation :manny:

if you binge reading, you got any recommendations for lesser known stuff he wrote? I'm up on Panopticon etc but man's was prolific I imagine he's got some slept in stuff I ain't heard of

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE

I fux w Foucault heavy but I imagine he's less popular on the Coli cuz of his orientation :manny:

if you binge reading, you got any recommendations for lesser known stuff he wrote? I'm up on Panopticon etc but man's was prolific I imagine he's got some slept in stuff I ain't heard of
earned my masters, now I'm working on my PhD. It will be worth it when I'm running the history dept at Morehouse one day :youngsabo:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Near the end of Chapter 7 of Jackie Robinson's book, he wrote the following:

Without that kind of support from some of the people in baseball who had power, I could not have made it, no matter how well I performed, no matter how loyal black people were. I am well aware that there were countless other whites, not as well-known or influential, who were in my corner.

I remember the fans in Montreal who rocked the Louisville team by giving them a tremendous booing in retaliation for the way Louisville had heckled me when I played there. Those same Canadians made life for Rachel and me comfortable and warm with affection. They spared no effort in showing me that they were proud that I belonged to their home team. They were not black people.

This is one of the reasons I cannot buy the "black only" package being peddled by segregationists who are white and separatists who are black. There are those who sincerely believe that the racial problem can be solved if an all-black society is created. They are flattering the black masses, making them believe an impossible dream will come true. The best opportunity for genocide the bigoted white man could have is to help blacks establish an all-black society in this country. It would be much more convenient to wipe out blacks if they were all collected in one place. It seems to me wrong -- in fact, evil -- for "leaders" to envision an all-black paradise, to mislead a people starving for hope.

I am not a fanatical integrationist. I don't think there is any particular magic in a white kid sitting next to a black kid in a classroom. I simply don't want all-black classrooms and all-black schools in a system where the best teachers and the best equipment and the best administration go to the white school and the worst to the black. I see more value in making a ghetto school great enough to induce parents of all races to send their children to it. I also believe both black and white children can gain something by being able to relate to each other.

I am opposed to enforced separationism and I am opposed to enforced segregation. The first freedom for all people is the freedom of choice. I want to live in a neighborhood of my choice where I can afford to pay the rent. I want to send my children to school where I believe they will develop best. I want the freedom to rise as high in my career as my ability indicates. I want to be free to follow the dictates of my own mind and conscience without being subject to the pressures of any man, black or white. i think that is what most people of all races want. Unfortunately it is not what black people in this country have. Until we do, we will continue to live in a farcical society, and the high principles on which America was founded will continue to be distorted. Finally, although I am opposed to complete separatism, there is a valid necessity for blacks to stand apart and develop themselves independently. We must have a sense of our own identity and we must develop an economic unity so we can built an independent power base from which to deal with whites on a more equal basis. This is what I tried to do later in my life when I got involved in the Freedom Bank venture. It is only through such accomplishments as these that we can negotiate from strength and self-respect rather than from the weak position of trying to be included in already existing white institutions.

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
:salute::salute::salute:

Bout them recommendations tho cuh :feedme:
I really work better when people give me historical/literature topics, so i can know what they are looking for, but my preferences:

History: Black Marxism, Cedric Robinson
Just read, history: Black Metropolis, Jesus Jobs& Justice, Condemnation of Blackness

Lit: Working on a paper on the nature in Cane by Jean Toomer and Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

White folks: Just picked up Absolam Absolam by William Faulkner

Gotta brush up on my Baldwin as well, need to be sounding good since he will be the topic of discussion with the movie coming out.

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE

So he has 6 or 7 books
Discipline and punish is what I'm on, but I'm also pushing through Madness and Civilization. Got the 3 sexuality books waiting after that.

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
I really work better when people give me historical/literature topics, so i can know what they are looking for, but my preferences:

History: Black Marxism, Cedric Robinson
Just read, history: Black Metropolis, Jesus Jobs& Justice, Condemnation of Blackness

Lit: Working on a paper on the nature in Cane by Jean Toomer and Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

White folks: Just picked up Absolam Absolam by William Faulkner

Gotta brush up on my Baldwin as well, need to be sounding good since he will be the topic of discussion with the movie coming out.

I just meant for any of Foucault lesser read books but if we going down this road...

From a history perspective, been kinda interested in what was going on in North Africa during the (European) Dark Ages since American schools don't discuss.

Youre totally right about James Baldwin I gotta fall through a Barnes and Nobles.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
4th year grad student, i got a library starting
As far as what I am reading, Ive been binge reading Foucault.

l8QTE5Q.jpg

uu96UTr.jpg

hPoec0y.jpg

lSPbWCq.jpg

aHvuoz2.jpg

Yqrv9l4.jpg

fqL6j1M.jpg
I'm not really that big on Foucault.
He seemed to have had this hatred for modern medical treatment and mental illness/diagnosis, and I can't help but think it's because being a homosexual and borderline sadomasochist he resented it personally.
He did have interesting points on other things like the modern way we incarcerate/punish criminals though