Let's stop using NBA Finals record to determine who is the GOAT.

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
Basketball is literally the only sport where you see dudes counting rings to determine a players greatness. Messi finally won a World Cup but even before that he was already established as GOAT in soccer. Barry Bonds is considered one of the best ever, with many arguing he’s the GOAT with no World Series. When you watch NFL media, they’ve readily accepted Mahomes greatness and some already accept him as a GOAT candidate or one of the most talented they’ve ever seen. No one ever says “he has to win xyz super bowls to impress me.”

What’s even funnier is this style of player comparison in basketball did NOT exist in the 70s, 80s or even really 90s. We know this, because Jordan was anointed the GOAT at 6 rings when there are legends every bit as successful as him who also have 6 or more rings (KAJ, Bill Russell). It’s a gatekeeping tool that was developed in the 2000s by fakkit old heads to protect Jordan’s legacy. I also have to believe Nike and the media played a part in pushing this narrative to keep Jordan relevant because he’s too profitable for them.

In reality, Jordan was an excellent wing playing in the worst era of basketball ever. The Bulls were loaded in a weak era. Mf retired temporarily and the team didn’t miss a beat still winning 50+ games and were one suspect call away from getting to the ECF (Nike probably made that call because Bulls in the ECF without MJ is a bad look.)

These are FACTS. Saggy tit old nikkas can stay mad :manny:
U full of shyt NFL nikkas always use rings to measure a QB :dahell:

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Basketball is literally the only sport where you see dudes counting rings to determine a players greatness. Messi finally won a World Cup but even before that he was already established as GOAT in soccer. Barry Bonds is considered one of the best ever, with many arguing he’s the GOAT with no World Series. When you watch NFL media, they’ve readily accepted Mahomes greatness and some already accept him as a GOAT candidate or one of the most talented they’ve ever seen. No one ever says “he has to win xyz super bowls to impress me.”

What’s even funnier is this style of player comparison in basketball did NOT exist in the 70s, 80s or even really 90s. We know this, because Jordan was anointed the GOAT at 6 rings when there are legends every bit as successful as him who also have 6 or more rings (KAJ, Bill Russell). It’s a gatekeeping tool that was developed in the 2000s by fakkit old heads to protect Jordan’s legacy. I also have to believe Nike and the media played a part in pushing this narrative to keep Jordan relevant because he’s too profitable for them.

In reality, Jordan was an excellent wing playing in the worst era of basketball ever. The Bulls were loaded in a weak era. Mf retired temporarily and the team didn’t miss a beat still winning 50+ games and were one suspect call away from getting to the ECF (Nike probably made that call because Bulls in the ECF without MJ is a bad look.)

These are FACTS. Saggy tit old nikkas can stay mad :manny:
Basketball is the one game where one player can leave his DNA on multiple aspects of the game on both sides of the ball, but overall I agree with all of this.

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
THEN DURANT OUTPLAYING LEBRON EVERY TIME THEY FACED OFF IN THE FINALS MEANS KD > LEBRON

slack_imgs_4.gif
still one of the coldest shots ever

fifth column

Superstar
Daps
If you use championships the GOAT is bill russell, if you use longevity and high level basketball its lebron, there are several arguments people can use on this issue.
We count dominance over your era so everything is included. When MJ played in championship games he delivered every time. NCAA, FIBA, 2x Olympics, 6-0 NBA chips. The GOAT title is not available for Lebron

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
NO

The NBA Finals record is important because it is the chance to show that that player's philosophy on basketball is the ultimate choice for WINNING!!!

This is why stats are only used to undergird their claim, not a definitive measure of the be all end all of how great a player is. This is where the term "empty stats," come into play. This is why Wilt is not ranked in my Top 10.

His philosophy towards the game was great... for him, but it did not uplift his team to prominence more often than not. Which ultimately means that his philosophy of attaining stats at all cost was a hindrance to winning more than a gain. It needed to change. Wilt should have been way more successful in winning with his abilities but he had the wrong philosophy.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
Aw damn, I didn't even think about this.

:pachaha:LeBron's defense is usually thought of in a positive light, but his lack of defense contributed to 4 of his Finals losses, as the man he was guarding all improved their output astronomically. Iggy, KD and Kawhi all had Final stats greater than their season stats that helped their team win the championship over him.