Lets see how many of yall know the right answer to this problem

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
the answer is 1

yall nikkas dumb af saying it's 9 :snoop:

do parenthesis first, you get 1+2 = 3, multiply next you get 3*2=6, then divide last you get 6/6 = 1 . pemdas my dudes

I got 1.

6/2(1+2)
6/2(3)
6/6
P e M D a s

I tutored school kids in algebra for a standardized test while I was still in high school

But my major is bio sciences so what do I know

:word: Multiplication and division have the same priority. The ambiguity of the problem lies in the parenthesis.

And those of you who keep trying to throw your qualifications out there. There are more accredited individuals than yourself who debate this problem (or one similar).

There was a thread in Higher Learning where ppl posted conflicting accounts from mathematicians, scientists and the like.

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
:word: Multiplication and division have the same priority. The ambiguity of the problem lies in the parenthesis.

And those of you who keep trying to throw your qualifications out there. There are more accredited individuals than yourself who debate this problem.

There was a thread in Higher Learning where ppl posted were posting conflicting accounts from mathematicians, scientists and the like.

The issue is that math and its laws are man made. Order of operations included.

If humans had been teaching PESMAD this whole time instead then we would be looking at the problem differently. I guess the only ppl who can answer it are those who created it in the first place and the line of people that studies under them

OliviaTwist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Souf

And those of you who keep trying to throw your qualifications out there. There are more accredited individuals than yourself who debate this problem (or one similar).

There was a thread in Higher Learning where ppl posted conflicting accounts from mathematicians, scientists and the like.

:what: Multiplication and division have the same priority so they are just evaluated from left to right

The mnemonic should really be PEMA

The answer is 9.

I got 9, as an engineering major I think I'm pretty seasoned at math.

Bertrand Laurence agrees with me

6/2(1+2) or 6÷2(1+2) equals ? The explanation! - YouTube

:ohhh: imma keep it real. I'm starting to think y'all could be right. If the answer was 1 and I got it thru the obvious way then it wouldn't be an issue to begin with. I can admit when I'm wrong .

F.uck that shyt still tho. I got chemistry homework anyway

Mountain

All Star
Daps
Reppin
more money

Which mathematician says its 1? Standard law of operation (or pemdas) states that division and multiplication are of the same priority, so how could it not be 9?

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Which mathematician says its 1? Standard law of operation (or pemdas) states that division and multiplication are of the same priority, so how could it not be 9?

somebody somewhere taught us that you do whats attached to the bracket first. that simple.

this shyt goes back to grade 3 so youd think if it was wrong wed be correctedd at some pt

South Paw

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CML
the answer is 1

yall nikkas dumb af saying it's 9 :snoop:

do parenthesis first, you get 1+2 = 3, multiply next you get 3*2=6, then divide last you get 6/6 = 1 . pemdas my dudes

You are a fukking idiot. Multiplication and division are the same, you just go left to right. Same with when you have addition and subtraction, one doesn't go before the other.

Some of yall are really showing a major lack of intelligence in this thread.

Order of operations, motherfukkers!

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Nah fukk all of you I'm sticking with one.

Growing up I've never seen it say:

6 / [ 2 (1+2) ]

It was always implied that you do whats attached to the brackets first and written

6 / 2 (1+2)

They never added the square parenthesis unless there was more to it like

6 / [2 + 2 (1+2)]

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
:ohhh: imma keep it real. I'm starting to think y'all could be right. If the answer was 1 and I got it thru the obvious way then it wouldn't be an issue to begin with. I can admit when I'm wrong .

F.uck that shyt still tho. I got chemistry homework anyway

I understand arguments for both sides

But it doesnt have to do with the multiplcation and division, it's the parenthesis that causes confusion. Parenthesis is an implicit multiplier and the rule of the order of operations states that you do the parenthesis operation(s) first. I see the arguments from both sides and unless there is more clarification it would be difficult to complete the problem.

Mountain

All Star
Daps
Reppin
more money
somebody somewhere taught us that you do whats attached to the bracket first. that simple.

this shyt goes back to grade 3 so youd think if it was wrong wed be correctedd at some pt

Thats what we did. Parenthesis indicate priority and serve as a multiplicative function, so:

6/2(1+2)

6/2(3)

6/2*3

Now from here we work from left to right since multiplication and division are of the same priority (like addition and subtraction):

6/2*3= 9

The answer should always be 9 no matter what.