Lets see how many of yall know the right answer to this problem

Daps
Reppin
London
you cant be serious. you do whats inside of the () first. thats it.

:stopitslime:

here put the equation into google and wolfman alpha and tell me what you get.

i'll wait.

3 by itself inside of the () means nothing
:damn: You're right, it does say 9 on those calculators. Fair enough. I guess my interpretation was wrong. By the way, just to be clear, it isn't putting 3 by itself, it's denoting that the 3 in the brackets must do something with any digits attached to it (at least, that's how I would have interpreted it. Old habits die hard. Sue me :to:).

You mean the order of OPERATIONS rule? IE, perform any operations inside the parentheses first. You may have overlooked that operations =/= operators.

Semantics, friend. Precedence of operators, then.

Rickdogg44

RIP Charmander RIP Kobe
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
9. Multiply and Divide are left to right...

Went to MS Excel to verify...it forces the formula to say "=6/2*(1+2)" answer = 9. :leostare:

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot

almost forgot about the bracket theory :heh:

math in high school is my one kryptonite :wow:

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Did you even check your own link? If you did you would notice under the input it is calculating (6/2) as a fraction rather than as a part of the whole mathematical expression 6/2(1+2). That is not the original expression.

Calculators are tools. Like any tool you have to know how to use it correctly. Before you can enter a mathematical expression into a calculator you have to understand it otherwise you will make an obvious error like the one above. What you have above is the equivalent of distributing the fraction (6/2) to the values in the brackets.

This: 6/2(1+2) DOES NOT equal this: (6/2)*(1) + (6/2)*(2)
Looks stupid right.. but that's what your doing to get an answer of 9.

Mathematical expressions are taken at face value. you cannot rewrite them to get the answer you want. If they wanted you treat 6/2 as a fraction it would have been written that way. It would look like this: (6/2)*(1+2)

But that's not the original expression. 6/2(1+2) is. This question is testing your understanding of the distributive property. Since there is nothing indicating or telling you to treat (6/2) as a fraction you distribute the 2 to solve this first: 2(1+2) = [(2)(1)+2(2)]. Now that you UNDERSTAND the expression you can use your tool correctly.

6/((2)(1)+2(2)) - Wolfram|Alpha

Notice how it now shows the correct input and answer of 1.

Blown Moon

All Star
Daps
I got 9, I was so happy when I saw other people with the same answer.:russ: I'm most definitely going to have to study the chapters ahead of my future kids and relearn everything when they get to middle school. Can't let them know that daddy's a dumb ass in math.

*edit*:usure: So it might be 1? I about to browse https://www.khanacademy.org/ and get my learn on. I can't be out here like this.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
What's fukking y'all up is that once the parenthesis is solved, it's no longer needed. (1+2)=3 not (3). You can drop it.

Daps
Reppin
London
Did you even check your own link? If you did you would notice under the input it is calculating (6/2) as a fraction rather than as a part of the whole mathematical expression 6/2(1+2). That is not the original expression.

Calculators are tools. Like any tool you have to know how to use it correctly. Before you can enter a mathematical expression into a calculator you have to understand it otherwise you will make an obvious error like the one above. What you have above is the equivalent of distributing the fraction (6/2) to the values in the brackets.

This: 6/2(1+2) DOES NOT equal this: (6/2)*(1) + (6/2)*(2)
Looks stupid right.. but that's what your doing to get an answer of 9.

Mathematical expressions are taken at face value. you cannot rewrite them to get the answer you want. If they wanted you treat 6/2 as a fraction it would have been written that way. It would look like this: (6/2)*(1+2)

But that's not the original expression. 6/2(1+2) is. This question is testing your understanding of the distributive property. Since there is nothing indicating or telling you to treat (6/2) as a fraction you distribute the 2 to solve this first: 2(1+2) = [(2)(1)+2(2)]. Now that you UNDERSTAND the expression you can use your tool correctly.

6/((2)(1)+2(2)) - Wolfram|Alpha

Notice how it now shows the correct input and answer of 1.

:ohhh: Good point. I might have to withdraw my earlier post. :obama: