Lets give SMB2 its flowers (sub thread: Nintendo needs to come out with a co-op Mario game every generation)

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
He's got that high jump, but he's slippery as fukk in the later levels. Princess makes those precise platforming sections a joke.

I never touched Mario or Toad
Princess was too show pulling those radishes though...luigi was slippery but those long jumps were hella valuable

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
And this type of dork ass knitpicking is why nobody fukks with you nerds and everyone clowns gaming culture.

When I played smb2 with friends or my sister as a kid, we were together trying to beat the game...we'd take turns based on the characters and it was a joint effort. We weren't on the same screen though so I guess I was playing a bootleg version (fukkin idiots)

Mario 1, 3, world, etc are just Mario single player games with a pallate swap for luigi at best...this game had separate characters with attributes so it made player 2 feel like a separate participant in the adventure.

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
(Before we even start…idgaf if it was Doki Doki Panic, or if Lost Levels, by far the most forgettable Mario game, is the real mario 2..nobody cares)
It's not even about what "the real Mario 2" is this game was not conceived or developed as a Mario game.

It's a great game but comparing it to other Mario games is a bit unfair because the things that are unique about it are that way because the original game wasn't a Mario game at all so the though process of making it and the end product reflect that.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
It's a great game but comparing it to other Mario games is a bit unfair because the things that are unique about it are that way because the original game wasn't a Mario game at all so the though process of making it and the end product reflect that.
you could argue otherwise. I'd watch enough of those docs/breakdowns on the game that even if it wasn't conceived as a mario game originally, it had all the mario principles in it, that's why converting it to a mario game was so easy.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
It's not even about what "the real Mario 2" is this game was not conceived or developed as a Mario game.

Nobody cares

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
After learning its reskinned from Doki Doki Panic , I can no longer consider it a Mario game.

Mouser was swagged out with the shades though.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mario 2 was never a 2-player game like that... I agree that it doesn't get enough love though. I consider SMB3 and World to be better, but 2 is still a solid game.
It was the first game to give Peach a broader role than just being a damsel in distress. It gave Luigi his own identity, just like the OP mentioned.
SMB2 blessed us with Bob-ombs, Shy-Guys, and Snifits, which are all Mario series staples.
The villains really don't get enough attention either. Birdo shows up every now and again, but Mouser, Triclyde, Fryguy, Clawgrip and Wart don't get enough love.
The boss battles were a massive step up from the OG game.

This really shows how Super Mario All-Stars was one of the GOAT gaming compilations. TAll-stars messed up the brick physics in the first game, but the SMB2 and 3 remakes >>>>>>>>

There should have been a SMB2 mode in Mario Maker. Dope game.

EDIT: Toad and Luigi are the best characters for speedrunning. Toad was the fastest (especially when holding an item), while Luigi's crazy jumps break the game in all kinds of ways. Peach is cool but she was clearly the easy-mode character for beginners. As for Mario... :jbhmm:....well, I like Mario.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
After learning its reskinned from Doki Doki Panic , I can no longer consider it a Mario game.

Mouser was swagged out with the shades though.
Nintendo adopted it into its canon, uses its music, and the character types of the 4 heroes in every single mario game that followed so...THEY do.

Mario 2 is like if an anime creator views it as canon but fans view it as filler because someone else did the pen work in the Manga. Nobody gives a fukk, besides the most annoying fans.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
And this type of dork ass knitpicking is why nobody fukks with you nerds and everyone clowns gaming culture.

When I played smb2 with friends or my sister as a kid, we were together trying to beat the game...we'd take turns based on the characters and it was a joint effort. We weren't on the same screen though so I guess I was playing a bootleg version (fukkin idiots)

Mario 1, 3, world, etc are just Mario single player games with a pallate swap for luigi at best...this game had separate characters with attributes so it made player 2 feel like a separate participant in the adventure.
these dudes don't know how to pass the controller

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nintendo adopted it into its canon, uses its music, and the character types of the 4 heroes in every single mario game that followed so...THEY do.

Mario 2 is like if an anime creator views it as canon but fans view it as filler because someone else did the pen work in the Manga. Nobody gives a ____, besides the most annoying fans.
Nintendo made the right call to give us a different version of SMB2. It brought way more to the series (everything you mentioned in the OP), plus, it was a way fairer game than the Lost Levels.

I still like the Lost Levels because I grew up with it (on All-Stars).
Speaking of Mario games that don't get enough love, we need to put more respect on Super Mario Land 2's name.
co434w.jpg

This game blessed us with Wario, plus Mario went to space for the first time. Game was on the easy side, but it was still great. Nintendo should re-make it.