Let's get White boy Wasted and Riot, Woodstock '99, The ITWAN of ITWANS HBO, JULY 23

Ku$h Parker

I'm Nothin Correctable
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Prime Minister of S.B. Westside
Then they had the nerve to sprinkle in some three female acts. I damn near died when Alanis and Jewell came out there in with acoustic guitars. :dead:

All to get told to Show their t*ts by the Crowd:picard:(and they didnt have any either:pachaha:,Sorry Ms Rosie Perez:hubie:)

Last edited:

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Agree that this maybe tried too hard to had cultural context to what was going on around the festival, and the festival itself. That's The Ringer style, though. Back when I used to listen to The Rewatchables, I used to have to skim through the first few minutes because they would go on tangents about what this movie meant to the world, and the director/actors' careers at the time and going forward. Meanwhile, the point of the podcast is ostensibly them explaining how Speed might not be s great movie, but it's something that they'll stop and watch whenever it's on.

However, they did get a few parts right. The but about DMX was spot on, because they point that Morris was trying to make wasn't about X, but about how a good portion of white folks who act offended about people saying nikka will say it in a song like it's nothing, and lie about it.

I'd also say the point of no one really being pressed for a Woodstock revival is probably accurate, too. Seemed more like the lineup and general novelty of festivals at the time was the real draw.

The Kurt Cobain/Grunge segment was worth an eye roll. People have such an idyllic view of rock music from the mid 90s backward, that really anything from like, 96 and backwards is a giant blindspot. Overstating the progressiveness of Cobain aside, Grunge wasn't a major shift in the culture. It was a momentary deviation from the norm. It doesn't take a whole lot of research to find that there was all kinds of racist, homophobic, and misogynist history from the so called golden eras of music. Also automatic :camby: for the Beastie Boys.

But the most accurate was the assessment that for the most part, that was a whole generation of people that were incredibly angry, but no one could really vocalize what exactly they were angry at.

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Altamont, wherethe Hell's Angels were doing security and fukked folks up, and that chick ran on the stage to shoot Mick Jagger and got stabbed
Nah it was a black dude names Meridith..he went to shoot someone in the crowd and got stabbed by a hella angel.

The hell's Angel's were blamed and put a hit out on Mick Jagger...they got a boat and tried to go up ashore at a house he was staying at on Long Island NY but it sank.

Ace Money

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I thoroughly "enjoyed" this documentary. I vividly remember hearing about the fukkery that was Woodstock '99, but never quite got the full story.

Also, I completely agree with the various posters who've critiqued the rose/hindsight-tented spectacles used by the documentary's critics to analyze the zeitgeist of the late 90's. While multiple things can be true at once, it's both an easy and convenient argument to cite 'White rage' and angst as the culprits behind the fukkery that was WS '99.

Simply put, capitalistic greed and poor planning run amuck are what mostly contributed to what took place. One of the lead organizers essentially dismissed and therefore normalized sexual impropriety as to not shoulder any responsibility for the dumpster fire he helped to spark.

Lastly, it's fukkin' new metal. Korn, Limp, Kid Rock, etc., had the main objective of putting on a show and riling up attendees. I also didn't appreciate the thinly veiled attempts to lump Korn in with the latter two aforementioned acts. shyt was a sloppy attempt at painting with a broad stroke in order to convey a particular argument.

Anyways, this was a great documentary. Might have to run this shyt back at some point.

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
Watched it....showed how silly young white males are.....Who would spend 3 days at some bs like this?
I’m not a fan of Andrew Schulz but the funniest thing he ever said was “Break stuff by Limp Bizkit at Woodstock 99 was when white male anger peaked.” That’s the best way to sum up the documentary. :russ:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Already been mentioned, but once "Break Stuff" gets going in the documentary :blessed:

It's one of those "these whites boys are doing the most, but it's the frat boy's version of Bonecrusher so I can't even hold ya"

fred-durst-2.jpg

Last edited:

doggy

All Star
Daps
Just watched this was really entertaining this was the era I grew up. Wish there was more on X but then I saw they’re giving a whole episode of the series to him