let's discuss the black community and our avoidance of mental help/therapy

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
Just writing stuff down helps a lot. I know when I was gon off myself the other week I wrote a note and it kinda made me feel a little bit better.
A journal can heal.

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I said post some links and you posted a random pice of link. You didn't even post a source. Nothing.
mysmilie_873.gif

I did post a source. The Journal of psychology. Im not sure what you want here. :manny: What i posted can easily be verified on google, but obviously, you dont really want to verify it do you, friend. :sitdown:

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
I just want the happy pills.

I see my shrink once a week but I be :sadcam: the other 6 days

Will it ever get better ? :to:

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
and people keep bringing up the therapist wont understand.

I hate to break it to you all, but there are very few cases that are unique. The shyt you have been through and how it effects you has been studied for a long time. The fact that the therapist doesnt know you is good, because you need someone who can see your issues from a different view.

151_Pr00f

All Star
Daps
Reppin
In the Clouds
Not everyone can afford a Gym Membership! :damn:

You don't need a gym membership to do cardiovascular exercise, which in several controlled studies has been proven to be just as effective as antidepressants.

Jogging, brisk walking, whatever keeps your heart rate elevated for about 20-45 minutes a day is good for the brain and body.

Anaerobic activity such as weightlifting hasn't been proven as effective at alleviating anxiety and depression but improving body tone helps bolster self esteem. A positive self image is a staple of good mental health so it would be just as wise to incorporate it into your regimine.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
I agree. However, I think we'll need a lot more black psychologists who've been through the struggle or at least have some way of understanding the community so that they can better help those in need.

Not that other races of psychologists can't help, but I think it'd probably be better to get help from someone who's a lot more like you, don't you?

Do you get what I'm saying?

Grand post, i think most black folks view psych help from white doctors as too clinical. Thoughts of "does this person really have my best interest at heart?" or "Do they really understand my issues?"

Part of good therapy is a small form of empathy, and i don't think many therapists can really relate on that level.

But i come from the school of thought that NO ONE on this planet is fully sane...we all could use some therapy. But black and latino folks in particular because talking about our issues is so taboo within the community for some reason.

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Post a link fakkit.

Google the quote, you can find it. Please dont use those slurs against me. I have a family and a wife and i cant say i appreciate the satanic tone you're taking with me for no reason. You're a man, emotions should be out of simple conversation, friend.

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Google the quote, you can find it. Please dont use those slurs against me. I have a family and a wife and i cant say i appreciate the satanic tone you're taking with me for no reason. You're a man, emotions should be out of simple conversation, friend.

nikka, I am not your friend.

Won Won

Superstar
Daps
These doctors would have a fukking field day with Mowgli

Fellatio

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Somebodys dad didn't get his balls checked, now hes dead.
Dont be afraid to get some help like he was.:ufdup:

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)

i wanna agree but you got at least 3 profiles breh and they all seem to be based on your emotions at the moment :wtf:

AlreadyKnow

Southern Belle
Daps
Reppin
in your wallet
Psychology doesnt help people mainly it just categorizes and puts people into boxes. Its great for analyzing data but terrible for inspiring people to be better in life.

Person-centered therapists, Reality therapists, and/or Existentialists ..etc. frown upon the use of the DSM-IV/V for diagnosing mental disorders partially because of what you have just posted. Finding the right therapist who approaches therapy in a way that is applicable to you is important. Each therapist has their own approach to taking clients through the therapeutic process.