let's discuss the black community and our avoidance of mental help/therapy

HowardHughes

Still hiding
Daps
Reppin
Vegas
I agree. However, I think we'll need a lot more black psychologists who've been through the struggle or at least have some way of understanding the community so that they can better help those in need.

Not that other races of psychologists can't help, but I think it'd probably be better to get help from someone who's a lot more like you, don't you?

Do you get what I'm saying?

Your from Canada you dont know no struggle.

Neg/rep

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
this show was about this topic, if your interested..start at 10.20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEsAViUpaZo

37 seconds nikka? :what:

So you'd rather talk to an imaginary fairy in the sky than an expert who has put countless hours into that field of study?
mysmilie_873.gif

real shyt though. you're trying to make a joke out of it and i really don't wanna make it about religion, or let it devolve into an argument about it, but i can't deny i think it holds a place in this discussion. studies have shown that black people are by far the most religious group in america and i think by and large its a result of being our only coping mechanism/outlet for so many centuries concerning psychological issues. i'll agree with others saying that it can be a pride issue for black men too... its a million ways to go about this bish :wow:

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yep!:cape:

And you can spare me your atheist jokes or rhetoric because
it ain't changing the truth.

Oh well I'm gonna laugh at it anyway.
mysmilie_873.gif

If anyone needs mental therapy it's God/Jebus. Dude is a psychotic murderer.

who-killed-more-people-in-the-bible-god-or-satan.jpg

Get saved, brehs.
mysmilie_873.gif

RAX 010

NYG LWO METS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
EAST✈WEST
In order for us to get a psychological grip on reality as blacks and humans is too first understand that the system in which we operate is corrupt and unfair...then and only then can we begin to heal and change our behavior...#perception ...the current system of medicine is designed for profit and depopulation...for fukks sake a judge just got 28 years for sending black kids to juvenile cmps...2013...are we awake yet?

Anti-Anime

fukk u weeaboo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Not Japan
I am dealing with someone who would rather pop pills than to sit
down and talk to Becky. Sometimes, the therapy of a paid professional
helps because she has no emotional ties to you and her best interest
lies in helping you become rational again.

IMO, the close connection you make with a black psychologist is something that can't be duplicated. They may know already personally know the feelings of your phobias/anxieties. That's already a HUGE step above getting anyone else.

KingDanz

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
LMAO the father of American psychiatry

DR. BENJAMIN RUSH, American physician, held to the view that Blacks derived their skin color from a condition called Negritude. When cured of this condition, wrote Rush, the skin of the victim would turn white.

Rush also taught therapeutic procedures which were even then regarded as dangerous and ineffective. One of his prize students applied Rush's teachings and treated a patient who compained of a sore throat with bloodletting: nine pints of blood were removed from the patient's body in 24 hours. This therapy failed, resulting in the death of the patient, George Washington, the first President of the United States.

Today, Rush is widely regarded as the father of American psychiatry. His likeness adorns the seal of the American Psychiatric Association.

:dead:

kdub83

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bloom
I think it stems from the general distrust that still exist from black people to doctors (in which I am including psychologist/psychiatrist). If you don't trust them, you won't go see them.
Also there are churches out there that actively advocate not using those services and just "praying" about it and letting God handle it. Even when I was active in the church I thought this was very bad advice and it leads to people not getting the help they need and being a danger to themselves and others.
Lastly I will agree with the poster that said that there is not enough of us in the field that understands our struggles for living every day. I went to a psychologist in grad school and honestly, I didn't get anything from the sessions. Maybe my experience would have been different if a man of color were there (even a woman).
But as a community we do need to take mental illness more seriously.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
there's no way we'll get more black psychologists/counselors without first embracing the field and practice...

For whatever reason, psychology is often looked at as a joke field. Even alot of college football players are psyc majors.

You pretty much have to get a Masters or a PHD in it for it to be of use to you.

But to be honest, yeah, we are messed up in alot of ways b/c(in addition to the other stuff you mentioned) we deal with racism, thoughts of racism, just general unfairness in life due to skin color that we just have to overlook. And that can only be suppressed for so long.

Even simple stuff like looking at TV everyday and seeing nothing but white people in CEO positions or other powerful positions, white men always being hero's in movies, or white women being the "worlds most beautiful" in magazine...... somewhere deep down that has to do something, even if just a little. Or alot depending on how much one dwells on what they see

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
For whatever reason, psychology is often looked at as a joke field. Even alot of college football players are psyc majors.

You pretty much have to get a Masters or a PHD in it for it to be of use to you.

But to be honest, yeah, we are messed up in alot of ways b/c(in addition to the other stuff you mentioned) we deal with racism, thoughts of racism, just general unfairness in life due to skin color that we just have to overlook. And that can only be suppressed for so long.

Even simple stuff like looking at TV everyday and seeing nothing but white people in CEO positions or other powerful positions, white men always being hero's in movies, or white women being the "worlds most beautiful" in magazine...... somewhere deep down that has to do something, even if just a little. Or alot depending on how much one dwells on what they see

thats partly because these bytch ass college athletic programs don't give a fukk about your future anyways :pacspit: so long you're doing good enough to play and earn them money.... you probably remember that one thread I had on :hamster:

anyways, joke or not, this is something we really gotta start pushing and trying to break into. we've been going about trying to fix shyt all wrong. its deeper than just making role models to "look up" to, I don't think we fully understand black psychology, its an untapped field.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I'm still not convinced of the benefits of counseling.

Seems like they just make your problems worse and perscribe you a drug.

Though i do believe we should be more open to talking each other through our problems without being judgmental.