let's discuss the black community and our avoidance of mental help/therapy

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Combined with fellowship of other believers its proven to have a better success rate for rehabilitation than psychology.

How exactly is having more people going to help?
mysmilie_873.gif

Zero multiplied by one hundred is still zero.
mysmilie_873.gif

Egomaniacal1

Director of the Federal Bureau of Instigation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Martin, TN
Mental help?? Therapy?!?! Oh you need some therapy...hol' on I got some therapy fo yo ass...

*grabs belt/switch/extension cord*

:lolbron:

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Again, its shown to be more rehabilitating than psychology. God does that, with words what psychologists cannot do with listening and pills.

Ok show me proof. Give me some links to studies that were done to back up what you're saying.

RAX 010

NYG LWO METS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
EAST✈WEST
“@ReasonsToRevolt The capitalists are robbing you psychologically by using the mass media to obliterate your mind.””

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Ok show me proof. Give me some links to studies that were done to back up what you're saying.

Miller et al. (2011). Religiosity and Major Depression in Adults at High Risk: A Ten-Year Prospective Study. American Journal of Psychiatry. doi: 10.1176/appi.ajp.2011.10121823

in this group, those who reported a high importance of religion or spirituality had about one-tenth the risk of experiencing major depression between years 10 and 20 compared with those who did not. The protective effect was found primarily against recurrence rather than onset of depression.

But i didnt need that to know its true.

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
when i was younger i thought counseling was for the bushes... now i'm real quick to tell nikkas go seek help

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
i just got off the phone with my mom a lil while ago, and during our conversation i let her know i'm started seeing a counselor last friday. not because i'm depressed (i have been before though) but because there's A LOT of fukked up shyt that happened in my life growing up that i honestly never addressed/tried to process, these things hold me back, and i feel like i if i can get past them, my life will truly be fulfilling. meanwhile, she's warning me to be careful and saying how she really wishes i'd see a "christian counselor"-- aka somebody that'll tell me shyt happens so just pray :comeon: thats another discussion but anyways

i feel like this is a serious issue for the black community, and a major reason we're where we are right now. just think about the shyt you may have personally gone through, witnessed, experienced, etc and how it may have affected your life whether you know it or not... a lot of us are growing up in broken homes, seeing friends and family get killed, etc, and these kinda issues are NEVER seriously addressed. yet we wonder why the cycle continues... we don't seek the help to properly deal with these kinds of things, men in particular because it's seen as weak. at most, we'll seek spiritual support. for the longest, we've had to learn how to go without, and i think its proving to have a major affect on our psychosis. poverty is a major issue, but our culture is too. what do yall think though?

Cosign breh. I've learned though that when it comes to shyt like this, not to let people no what you're doing. Personally I'm going to start seeing a therapist too, for the same reason you are (shyt that happened as a child that has skewed the way I look at life).

Black people really do need to seek professional help though.

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Psychology doesnt help people mainly it just categorizes and puts people into boxes. Its great for analyzing data but terrible for inspiring people to be better in life.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
If anything i'd advocate seeking spiritual counselling by someone who is both spiritual, and has been through it in the past.

Nothing worse than some armchair expert throwing around their flattering degrees tryna school you on what YOU actually went through:beli:

That degree and that book dont work jack **** in these face to face, beard to beard conflicts out here.

Honestly, the last thing I'd want is someone having the audacity to tell me God allowed me to go through what I went through. My ex tried telling me that shyt. I told her the people who use that weak ass excuse are the people who had the luxury of not having to go through no traumatizing shyt. Not one time in my life did I ever think ":whew: thank white jesus he placed me in this fukked up situation:"

Naw nikka, I made it out with my sanity DESPITE being in it, not because of it.

Daps
Honestly, the last thing I'd want is someone having the audacity to tell me God allowed me to go through what I went through. My ex tried telling me that shyt. I told her the people who use that weak ass excuse are the people who had the luxury of not having to go through no traumatizing shyt. Not one time in my life did I ever think ":whew: thank white jesus he placed me in this fukked up situation:"

Naw nikka, I made it out with my sanity DESPITE being in it, not because of it.

The hottest of fire brings out the purest of gold. With a flame you can either let it cook for you, or burn you. nikka.

So too here, you can make life's ills strengthen you, or let it break you. How can you know good times, how can you know strength, courage, and power if you never been dropped? It is THEN, and ONLY then it is defined.

No tough time is easy nor pleasant. But i Tell you one thing, the wounds life has given me, by those today I stand with my shoulders back and look a man in his eye when i speak to him.

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Miller et al. (2011). Religiosity and Major Depression in Adults at High Risk: A Ten-Year Prospective Study. American Journal of Psychiatry. doi: 10.1176/appi.ajp.2011.10121823

in this group, those who reported a high importance of religion or spirituality had about one-tenth the risk of experiencing major depression between years 10 and 20 compared with those who did not. The protective effect was found primarily against recurrence rather than onset of depression.

But i didnt need that to know its true.

I said post some links and you posted a random pice of link. You didn't even post a source. Nothing.
mysmilie_873.gif