let's discuss the black community and our avoidance of mental help/therapy

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
So you'd rather talk to an imaginary fairy in the sky than an expert who has put countless hours into that field of study?
mysmilie_873.gif

Combined with fellowship of other believers its proven to have a better success rate for rehabilitation than psychology.

JasonSJackson

Jah Sun Ma'at Ra
Daps
Reppin
Maat
Therapist hourly rate: $100-250

Tell ur personal issues to a complete stranger who cant relate, doesnt really understand u, is only listening to u because you are paying them to do so and is simply trying to match generalites from what youre saying to a lesson he learned in class so he can write u a prescription to the drug recommended in that lesson. Will ALWAYS be more then an hour needed

fifth of hennessy: $40 bucks

No hidden fees, no more pain when it kicks in, no social stigma associated with drinking it (actually its really quite cool), u can dance better, move cooler and phuk longer......

which would you pick?

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Therapist hourly rate: $100-250

Tell ur personal issues to a complete stranger who cant relate, doesnt really understand u, is only listening to u because you are paying them to do so and is simply trying to match generalites from what youre saying to a lesson he learned in class so he can write u a prescription to the drug recommended in that lesson. Will ALWAYS be more then an hour needed

fifth of hennessy: $40 bucks

No hidden fees, no more pain when it kicks in, no social stigma associated with drinking it (actually its really quite cool), u can dance better, move cooler and phuk longer......

which would you pick?
C, God and his church of believers.

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
I'm still not convinced of the benefits of counseling.

Seems like they just make your problems worse and perscribe you a drug.

Though i do believe we should be more open to talking each other through our problems without being judgmental.

:whoa: i'm not talking about medicine as much as i'm talking about
actually processing traumas. the way brothers can see how much killing is happening in Chicago and still walk around with a "fukk it Imma die anyway" type of attitude and are just as quick to murder someone else. that's not a matter of no medicine, its a matter of seeing/experiencing so much without ever truly addressing it.

Its not so much that we avoid it as much as we cant afford it

money is def an issue. i've been contemplating for a minute to go to grad school and major in something that would help me maybe one day start a non-profit (i've been in it a minute) and I was leaning towards something based in neighborhood unification/revitakizationbut low cost counseling is starting to seem like the major issue too. at least a core part of it if I go through with it

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
:whoa: i'm not talking about medicine as much as i'm talking about
actually processing traumas. the way brothers can see how much killing is happening in Chicago and still walk around with a "fukk it Imma die anyway" type of attitude and are just as quick to murder someone else. that's not a matter of no medicine, its a matter of seeing/experiencing so much without ever truly addressing it.

I agree we should start to open a dialog about these things. I just don't know if going to a shrink is the best idea.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
nah i feel you completely, i'm starting to think psychology is one of the main fields we need to try and break into. that's something we're slipping on. for the longest, its been the whole "be a doctor, lawyer, engineer" type shyt in terms in positivity cause supposedly that'll correct everything that's been going wrong, but nah... we gotta properly understand it first. doctors and lawyers won't be able do that. we definitely need more psychologists.

For whatever reason, psychology is often looked at as a joke field. Even alot of college football players are psyc majors.

You pretty much have to get a Masters or a PHD in it for it to be of use to you.

But to be honest, yeah, we are messed up in alot of ways b/c(in addition to the other stuff you mentioned) we deal with racism, thoughts of racism, just general unfairness in life due to skin color that we just have to overlook. And that can only be suppressed for so long.

Even simple stuff like looking at TV everyday and seeing nothing but white people in CEO positions or other powerful positions, white men always being hero's in movies, or white women being the "worlds most beautiful" in magazine...... somewhere deep down that has to do something, even if just a little. Or alot depending on how much one dwells on what they see

I think there is a lot of black people that major in psychology.

But, it's not a really good field

The 4 year degree with the highest umeployment is psychology

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
I was thinking about this the other day. I was reflecting on my grandfather who used to drink all day every day. I realize now that he was probably depressed and coping any way he could.

Black culture be on some "aint nobody got time fo' dat!" shyt when it comes to depression and mental issues.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
We dont need black psychologists. We need black money to get black people the help we need. What good is a black psychologist for the black community if none of their patients are black?

Plus keep in mind this isn't an issue limited to the black community. Psychology/psychiatry in general has become super reliant on perpetual "treatment" through visits and drugs, and America at large is in terrible mental health shape. Lots of psych wards closing down and just a general disregard for the gravity of it all. So like a lot of things its not necessarily a "black" problem that has to be solved with a "black" solution. Even if we had the money to get care now, the quality & methodology of care is not that good.

There needs to be a race neutral public push for more mental health care, period. My buddy's mom & brother are paranoid schizophrenics. She was a doctor, put them through private school etc. Now she never leaves the house, doesn't work, and is about to get foreclosed on. I dont think there is anyone or anything out there that can help them and my homeboy is in agony over it all. It shouldnt be like this. For whatever its worth he is Hatian.

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
I was thinking about this the other day. I was reflecting on my grandfather who used to drink all day every day. I realize now that he was probably depressed and coping any way he could.

Black culture be on some "aint nobody got time fo' dat!" shyt when it comes to depression and mental issues.

:wow: the men in my family (om my mamas side at least) have traditionally been alcoholics, some drug abusers while the women are church going

We dont need black psychologists. We need black money to get black people the help we need. What good is a black psychologist for the black community if none of their patients are black?

Plus keep in mind this isn't an issue limited to the black community. Psychology/psychiatry in general has become super reliant on perpetual "treatment" through visits and drugs, and America at large is in terrible mental health shape. Lots of psych wards closing down and just a general disregard for the gravity of it all. So like a lot of things its not necessarily a "black" problem that has to be solved with a "black" solution. Even if we had the money to get care now, the quality & methodology of care is not that good.

There needs to be a race neutral public push for more mental healracere, period. My buddy's mom & brother are paranoid schizophrenics. She was a doctor, put them through private school etc. Now she never leaves the house, doesn't work, and is about to get foreclosed on. I dont think there is anyone or anything out there that can help them and my homeboy is in agony over it all. It shouldnt be like this. For whatever its worth he is Hatian.

I said that with idea of them treating black patients/communities :leostare: yeah there needs to be race neutral push but I ain't about sitting back and waiting at all. majority of whites aren't even considering our issues as mentally concerned. Cody shoot up a school and they'll tell you its because he's "troubled" but what's the reason Dwight is in a gang and shot ol boy :usure:

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
:wow: the men in my family (om my mamas side at least) have traditionally been alcoholics, some drug abusers while the women are church going

I said that with idea of them treating black patients/communities :leostare: yeah there needs to be race neutral push but I ain't about sitting back and waiting at all. majority of whites aren't even considering our issues as mentally concerned. Cody shoot up a school and they'll tell you its because he's "troubled" but what's the reason Dwight is in a gang and shot ol boy :usure:
I mean at the end of the day if work is done they gotta get paid. I cant imagine someone going through 4 (8?) years of school and racking up all that debt to work for free. That kind of altruism isn't realistic.

And white psychologists, like all psychologists and medical practitioners, took an oath to help everybody regardless of race. If you have $$$/insurance they will see you. Look at all the prison psychologists.

semtex

:)
Daps
Weightlifting helped me more than any shrink or medication ever did.