Let's Be Real, Kanye Is The Most Important Artist Since Mike

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
Which means nothing....

it means he's been puttin' out great music :stopitslime:

hip hop as a movement has been a pile of hot shyt with only a few exceptions for well over 10 years. i'd say the last 17 years to be exact. however, there have been a few exceptions here and there. but the overall movement has lost it's "pulse" and "feel" that it use to have. again, that's not to say there hasn't been some good or great music but far more bullshyt gets a pat on the back than great music

kanye has kept hip hop intriguin', interestin', fun and worthwhile though :obama:

CouldntBeMeTho

Gul DuCat
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dog Shooting Squad Of Islamabad
One of the biggest myths in hip hop history is that you had to be a "gangster" rapper to be successful before kanye west

I was just gonna say this. There were rappers more in his lane BEFORE the gangster rap era.

I do agree that him beating 50 in sales did signify a shift in hip hop, but kids forget gangster rap wasn't the first sub genre of hip hop... not even close :mjlol:

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
One of the biggest myths in hip hop history is that you had to be a "gangster" rapper to be successful before kanye west

That's true, but we ain't talking just being "successful". We're talking about selling out shows and being the biggest and hottest in the game.

Hottest In The Game Cycle Since 1990

2Pac & Big --> Nas ---> Jay ---> Ja Rule ---> 50 Cent ----> Kanye ---> Drake

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
The most harmful rap artists since Puffy. More harmful in many ways actually.

You still expect kids of today to act like 80s gangsters with mental stagnation and redundant slang? I ain't with the feminine shyt, but not everyone can be LOX material.

Wild self

Supporter
Daps

Like who? Most Def? Kweli? They were only selling gold when the likes of DMX and Hov were selling millions talking about street shyt. Nelly sold too, but she was on that sing-a-long shyt with street subject matter, too.

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
Like who? Most Def? Kweli? They were only selling gold when the likes of DMX and Hov were selling millions talking about street shyt. Nelly sold too, but she was on that sing-a-long shyt with street subject matter, too.
My point, before Ye' there was no non street cat who was the biggest in the game. Ye's Run from 03 to 2010 was revolutionary.

In the plan he had 4 classics (imo) and 3 that everyone recognizes as classics. And not one time did he talk about killing someone or selling drugs :smugfavre:

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
My point, before Ye' there was no non street cat who was the biggest in the game.

Even Puff had street ghost writers and shyt like that. Even Chuck D said that era was his worst nightmare because there was literally no variation at that time period on the mainstream.

CouldntBeMeTho

Gul DuCat
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dog Shooting Squad Of Islamabad
gangster rappers didn't even pop off til' after nwa.
My point, before Ye' there was no non street cat who was the biggest in the game. Ye's Run from 03 to 2010 was revolutionary.

In the plan he had 4 classics (imo) and 3 that everyone recognizes as classics. And not one time did he talk about killing someone or selling drugs :smugfavre:

:sas2:

Beastie BoysLicensed to Ill1986Def Jam RecordingsGolden Age Hip Hop9× Platinum
Will SmithBig Willie Style1997Columbia RecordsPop-Rap
9× Platinum
Vanilla IceTo the Extreme1990Capitol RecordsPop Rap7× Platinum
Arrested Development3 Years, 5 Months & 2 Days in the Life Of...1992Chrysalis Records/EMI RecordsAlternative Hip Hop4× Platinum
Run–D.M.C.Raising Hell1986Arista RecordsGolden Age Hip Hop3× Platinum
LL Cool JBigger and Deffer1987Def Jam RecordingsGolden Age Hip Hop2× Platinum
DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh PrinceHe's the DJ, I'm the Rapper1988Jive/RCA RecordsGolden Age Hip Hop3× Platinum
MC HammerLet's Get It Started1988Capitol/EMI RecordsPop Rap2× Platinum
OutKastATLiens1996LaFace/Arista RecordsSouthern Hip Hop2× Platinum

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps

Wild self

Supporter
Daps