Let's Be Real, Kanye Is The Most Important Artist Since Mike

Hugs

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Yawk
Musically I'm going to say Pharrell. Dude is like the modern Prince overall.

Anti-conformist: fitted clothes, trucker hats, skater style, to my knowledge the first who wore the thick framed glasses.

The Revolution vs N.E.R.D

Strong at plenty of instruments, not just a production board.

Hits throughout career.

Kanye and Prince both share the always pushing forward attitude than Pharrell doesn't have.

Bomberman

Like a C4.
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Kanye and Prince both share the always pushing forward attitude than Pharrell doesn't have.

Pharrell wasn't forward-pushing? :what:

NERD was considered "way out there" for a hip-hop producer, especially at that time.

CouldntBeMeTho

Gul DuCat
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dog Shooting Squad Of Islamabad
How else would I know Immortal Technique? :snoop:

Black on Both Sides is probably my favorite rap album OAT, but the better question is what has MJ done for the black community besides his meaningless songs about love and partying (not counting They Don't Care about us). I agree than Kanye is more Prince than MJ due to not being fully accepted by the mainstream and playing by his own rules, but let's not act for a second that MJ's music has more meaning than Kanye's.
the difference is, no one tries to hold up MJ as some socially conscious black man :mjpls:

Hugs

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Yawk
Pharrell wasn't forward-pushing? :what:

NERD was considered "way out there" for a hip-hop producer, especially at that time.

He was but he's regressed considerable from a trend setter to a trend follower.

Hugs

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Yawk
:facepalm:

Kanye, like a lot of rappers. talks about a variety of topics. Unlike most popular rappers, he talks about "conscious stuff" more than most.

Still waiting on those songs, tho :sas2:

CouldntBeMeTho

Gul DuCat
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dog Shooting Squad Of Islamabad
:facepalm:

Kanye, like a lot of rappers. talks about a variety of topics. Unlike most popular rappers, he talks about "conscious stuff" more than most.

Still waiting on those songs, tho :sas2:
what songs? conscious rap is almost dead, so putting a 5 year limit on it is asinine. you already knew that tho
full

BAMBA

The Menace
Supporter
Daps
The "sped up chipmunk" shyt was popularized by RZA a good 10 years before anyone knew who Kanye was:

Kanye came into the game as a bootleg RZA....the beats he played for Jay were literally meant for Ghost....and by his own admission he modeled "The Blueprint" after "Supreme Clientele".

So nah....you can say he extended the life of that trend, but he didn't originate shyt.

Fred.

:youngsabo:

• Dap
Reactions: hex

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

Kanye directly mentioned RZA/Wu as his inspiration, but you raise a good point. Marley Marl is one of RZA's inspirations, and maybe I'm remembering wrong but gave/sold him some equipment back in the day.

Fred.