Umoja

Veteran
Daps
Good job showing us you don't know the meaning of a simple word :mjlol:

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
you list all them excuses but those same people who have bills and families still have certain friends they hang out with. It’s not like they have slave away the rest of their life to responsibilities. When they have free time there are always certain people they bullshyt with or hang out at the house with

And eh at that family take... they’re family by blood friends are choices. So yes if you don’t talk to your family they are still your family but if you don’t socialize or every hang with someone you consider a friend then I don’t consider thay a friendship just someone you’re cool with

Breh, there are gradations to friendships. Some friends are closer than others. The older one gets, the more likely one may not hang out with the homies like it was back in the day.

I got friends, but are we close? No. Well, some are closer than others and most of my friends got families that take priority over me. I understand this. It isn't an excuse. It is a reality and I can't fault anyone for handling family business first. If they hang out with other people more than me, then good for them. Perhaps those people live closer to them than myself?

What I can give you is that some friends regress to acquaintances and associates, but those people weren't really friends to boot.

You are entitled to your opinion and it seems to me that hanging out with the homies is very important to you. Not mad at you for feeling that way. I just disagree with hanging out with people and/or communicating with people all the time or not is an absolute qualifier for being a true friend.

Once again, there are gradations or levels to it. I believe in giving people their space while keeping the door open for them to keeping in touch or hanging out as time permits them.

Last edited:

Majestic

Believe in myself and the Coles and Kendricks
Daps
lost all my friends
Every single one betrayed me this year just because I came into some money
Set me up
Even a fake cousin was in on it
Now all I have is my siblings a few cousins and my children
Those are my peeps my priority now
what happened?

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps
Breh, there are gradations to friendships. Some friends are closer than others. The older one gets, the more likely one may not hang out with the homies like it was back in the day.

I got friends, but are we close? No. Well, some are closer than others and most of my friends got families that take priority over me. I understand this. It isn't an excuse. It is a reality and I can't fault anyone for handling family business first. If they hang out with other people more than me, then good for them. Perhaps those people live closer to them then myself?

What I can give you is that some friends regress to acquaintances and associates, but those people weren't really friends to boot.

You are entitled to your opinion and it seems to me that hanging out with the homies is very important to you. Not mad at you for feeling that way. I just disagree with hanging out with people and/or commutating with people all the time or not is an absolute qualifier for being a true friend.

Once again, there are gradations or levels to it. I believe in giving people their space while keeping the door open for them to keeping in touch or hanging out as time permits them.
You’re basically saying what I said in a nicer tone. There are levels to a friendship and even some of the best friends become acquaintances.

but I refuse to believe someone is my “friend” if I only talk to them twice a year. a whole year goes by and I have no idea what’s going in your life? And we live in the same area? I don’t care if you knew that person for years or you were really close at one point. That person now is just someone you have great memories with and you’re both on each other good side. But as actual friends? Nah

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Still thinking over this. I like the we went from friends to people we share memories with. Circumstance can change things , #gmb is a prime example. I never had a female friend once they got married. Just turned into people we share memories with when we see each other.

Yeah, I can't see someone being your friend and only speaking to them once a year. You're going to miss them at some point.

old_timer

Taxi Squad
Daps
Aristotle spoke of friends for a season, friends for a reason,, and friends for a lifetime

I'm not trying to play the "age card" but the third category takes some life experience to sort itself out

All of my friends for a lifetime started out as friends for a reason or a season

That said.. It's not just about duration..
I see plenty of folks who "know each other" for 20 years..
..but it is really 4 months of "depth" repeated 60 times :mjlol:

King Poetic

Grandfather of….
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Sea
Dude I’m 38 and majority of my friends I haven’t talk to in years

1. they are married with kids, I don’t have any

2. they live out of town with careers and families

3. some are still in the streets and I’m too old to have them over at my place or I’m chilling with them and some fool or fools pull up shooting

Facebook and a text once in awhile is cool

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
You’re basically saying what I said in a nicer tone. There are levels to a friendship and even some of the best friends become acquaintances.

but I refuse to believe someone is my “friend” if I only talk to them twice a year. a whole year goes by and I have no idea what’s going in your life? And we live in the same area? I don’t care if you knew that person for years or you were really close at one point. That person now is just someone you have great memories with and you’re both on each other good side. But as actual friends? Nah

We can agree that people you rarely speak to are your friends. But, @ the same token, there are exceptions.

It comes down to how you define friendship. Said definition varies from person to person.

At my age, I don't expect to socialize with my friends much. Truth be told, I really don't want to hang out with people all the time, but that doesn't mean I will conclude that I am not friends with them.

Lastly, considering the current climate, it isn't wise to hang out with a lot of people due to the pandemic situation. Social distancing needs to be practiced for health & safety reasons.

To wrap this up, I am not trying to convince you to change your stance on this topic, but I simply disagree with placing hard line qualifiers on what constitutes friendship.

When you hit your 40s and beyond, it's understood that the homies will always be homies, but they may or will(depending on the person) have to take a backseat (nothing personal) to family, relationships, work, etc.

You see the homies when you see them. But, when you get with them, it's all good!

Last edited:

DapMeUp!

Superstar
Daps
Nah i dont think so. I got friends in the military, out of town, that i haven't talked to in years and when we link up its still always the same love. Im talking bout nikkas I've been in first grade up to high school with..

Pretty much this.

Got friends I don't talk to for months sometimes and when we do link up it's like I spoke to them yesterday :yeshrug: