Let's actually have a hip-hop conversation for once... Does anybody else have "IWW > Illmatic"?

infamousred

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think illmatic is the best rap album ever made and I'd put every track on a best of nas tape with the exception of maybe one time 4 your mind(which I still love) Take it in blood, shootouts, I gave you power, if i ruled the world, and maybe the message are the only tracks from the 2nd album that I'd add. Production being the biggest factor.
The revisionist history is what kills me most about said album. I remember the stans having younger people fooled into thinking it was actually a 5 mic album until I posted my copy of the source on sohh reviewing it as a 4 mic album.

raw613

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
602 via 410
I'll take illmatic, because I don't skip any songs, but songs like suspect, I gave you power,shootouts, the message, take it in blood, I think he stepped his pen up even more. I look at illmatic as a realistic portrayal of his life and it was written as mob flicks on wax lol, I always appreciated it in its own right though

Daps
As someone who is old enough to remember the impact of IWW...

Let's just say the summer of 96 is one of my fav times in hip hop....it was ruled by Pac, Fugees & Nas

I can unequivocally say that Nas would have finished #2 in terms of best MCs in 96. Now remember this is when Jay dropped RD, Big was on hiatus but still relevant, Pac dropped AEOM, Snoop was crafting the Doggfather, Fugees dropped their album

During the release of IWW, the general hip hop fan liked the album....the hip hop purists thought Nas sold out

In all honesty, IWW introduced Nas to a wider audience...Nas was not a hip hop household name in 94, no matter what ppl tell you

IWW is not as lyrically complex as Illmatic but Nas had enough juice w/ IWW to still be considered top 3 in the game

In hindsight, IWW is a classic...Pac was even inspired by the album saying he wrote Me & My GF after hearing I Gave You Power

Personally, I have IWW as Nas 3rd best album after Illmatic & Stillmatic but don't sleep on IWW bc it captured the landscape of rap well in 96

y que

Banned
Daps
i agree with that younger people will probably find iww more accessible with the cleaner more friendly production

i had it above illmatic at one point too but illmatic ages like fine wine while as years have gone by i notice the subpar lyricism and watered down production on iww more and more

illmatic is the definitive ny rap album. its like a time capsule of that particular time in hip hop.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
No just no. We've had this discussion a million times.

Also, the production isn't better it was just a more cinematic album with better mixing while Illmatic was more gritty. Illmatic is 5 Mics, IWW is 4.5 IMO.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I know it's blasphemous as a Nas Stan, but IWW's:boss: my GOAT Esco album:ohlawd:

...undeniably, IllMATIC:king: makes the cypher complete:ahh:

But, it doesn't have The Message/I Gave You Power/ Take It in Blood, nor Silent Murder:wow:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
No just no. We've had this discussion a million times.

Also, the production isn't better it was just a more cinematic album with better mixing while Illmatic was more gritty. Illmatic is 5 Mics, IWW is 4.5 IMO.
Pretty much