Let an elite 19 year old defender drop to 10th in the draft

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People thought about Kawai, Butler and George too but they added pieces to their offensive games and it improved dramatically over the first three seasons.

Winslow has top tier defensive skills, basketball IQ, a willingness to play in the offense, and veteran poise.

If Winslow becomes Deng-ish on offense, you got a championship piece of elite defensive ability that can guard any perimeter player (And even some of the smaller 4s), run the break, makes great decisions with and without the ball, and has a high motor.

His floor is lockdown defender and high motor offensive ability that knows his role. But the Miami Heat are absolutely great at developing players (Lebron's post game, Chris Bosh's shooting, Wade's off-ball ability, etc) and Winslow is a gym rat but he has all the tools to be a good offensive player.
Chris bosh was a good shooter before Miami

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
He's been one of the most promising rookies this year but you haven't been watching so it's understandable why you think this is comical
I saw him at the beginning of the seaosn and dude was borderline trash. Even Laker fans in here were complaining they had nothing to show for the pic. I doubt he turned it around so quickly.

But you can believe what you wanna believe. Lakers will be on National TV soon enough for me to see again

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
I realize that makes sense with oladipo and payton at the 1/2(well at the time they were before oladipo's move to the bench) and i still don't trust fournier to keep this level of play up, as his play has dropped off a lot since the end of november, but winslow could have added well to their defense in the short term while eventually becoming a three point shooter. this obviously wouldn't matter as much if mario was a ready to go player this year, but i don't feel like he really is with his size and defensive struggles, so i'd rather take a long term defensive project than a long term offensive project as it's easier to teach a player to shoot the three ball than it is to teach them how to play great defense.

and i will admit this is hindsight as no one could have expected winslow to be this great defensively this early, but with a weak interior defender in vucevic i just think they would have been better off with the better defensive player.
But Orlando's front office could already have been drafting with that same thought process in mind well before the Winslow draft. Taking your approach into consideration, they could have been thinking "well we drafted a sg that can't really shoot but can be a great defender, we drafted a pg that can't shoot, but has the potential to be a great defender and really control our offense, and we drafted a sf/pf hybrid that really can't shoot, but will be a versatile defender/playmaker/hustle guy in a Swiss army know role. They're hard workers so eventually they're offense will come around. It's time start add someone with natural scoring instincts and get some scoring around these guys." Every front office drafts with the optimism that their picks will develop in the areas they're lacking, but eventually you have to start addressing the needs of the team with someone that already has a semblance of that skillset. It's why the Hezonja pick made sense to me.

Last edited:

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I saw him at the beginning of the seaosn and dude was borderline trash. Even Laker fans in here were complaining they had nothing to show for the pic. I doubt he turned it around so quickly.

But you can believe what you wanna believe. Lakers will be on National TV soon enough for me to see again

Nah, Russel is good. Dude is like Winslow in his poise and decision making on the court. He's an extremely creative passer and has insane vision.

He'll probably take a minute but in 4-5 years, he'll be a star. He's just gonna need to improve his footwork, understanding of angles, and strength.

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
I realize that makes sense with oladipo and payton at the 1/2(well at the time they were before oladipo's move to the bench) and i still don't trust fournier to keep this level of play up, as his play has dropped off a lot since the end of november, but winslow could have added well to their defense in the short term while eventually becoming a three point shooter. this obviously wouldn't matter as much if mario was a ready to go player this year, but i don't feel like he really is with his size and defensive struggles, so i'd rather take a long term defensive project than a long term offensive project as it's easier to teach a player to shoot the three ball than it is to teach them how to play great defense.

and i will admit this is hindsight as no one could have expected winslow to be this great defensively this early, but with a weak interior defender in vucevic i just think they would have been better off with the better defensive player.

Winslow just doesn't fit that Magic team, they already have Oladipo, Gordon and Payton who all have questionable shots, adding Winslow to the mix would have been too much. Also, Hezonja's defense isn't that bad, he makes a lot of mistakes which will correct themselves with playing time, it's not a case of him being physically incapable of defending more of just not knowing where to be. The Magic are crowded on the wing and playing time would have been hard to come by for Winslow as well, especially with his lack of shooting.

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
Winslow just doesn't fit that Magic team, they already have Oladipo, Gordon and Payton who all have questionable shots, adding Winslow to the mix would have been too much. Also, Hezonja's defense isn't that bad, he makes a lot of mistakes which will correct themselves with playing time, it's not a case of him being physically incapable of defending more of just not knowing where to be. The Magic are crowded on the wing and playing time would have been hard to come by for Winslow as well, especially with his lack of shooting.
Bingo

Basaglia

All Star
Daps
Reppin
No
It's exciting how all these talented young wings are taking pride in their defense. From Paul George, Leonard, and Butler to Winslow, Wiggins, and Stanley Johnson. And you got Jaylen Brown and Josh Jackson coming next. The future of two way wings look promising.

Please, Stan Johnson and Jaylen Brown ain't nuffin but Gerald Wallace and DeShawn Stevenson wearing wigs and make-up, tryna collect more checks.