Let an elite 19 year old defender drop to 10th in the draft

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He will never be as good as paul george or kawhi offensively. :heh:

Thats like saying he will be patrick beverly lebrons and PG 13 gonna drop 40 regularly on him if he guards him in the playofs

People thought about Kawai, Butler and George too but they added pieces to their offensive games and it improved dramatically over the first three seasons.

Winslow has top tier defensive skills, basketball IQ, a willingness to play in the offense, and veteran poise.

If Winslow becomes Deng-ish on offense, you got a championship piece of elite defensive ability that can guard any perimeter player (And even some of the smaller 4s), run the break, makes great decisions with and without the ball, and has a high motor.

His floor is lockdown defender and high motor offensive ability that knows his role. But the Miami Heat are absolutely great at developing players (Lebron's post game, Chris Bosh's shooting, Wade's off-ball ability, etc) and Winslow is a gym rat but he has all the tools to be a good offensive player.

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nikkas mad that Gawdtise is an elite defender as a rookie and only getting better. :umad:

People said Butler and Kawaii wouldn't be good shooters either :umad:

Heat also rock at adding new dimensions top layers games :banderas:

Bosh shooting 40% from three. :banderas:

Winslow gonna be dropping 18-20
A game and locking down the best offensive players in a year or two :umad:

Gangstar8

All Star
Daps
nikkas mad that Gawdtise is an elite defender as a rookie and only getting better. :umad:

People said Butler and Kawaii wouldn't be good shooters either :umad:

Heat also rock at adding new dimensions top layers games :banderas:

Bosh shooting 40% from three. :banderas:

Winslow gonna be dropping 18-20
A game and locking down the best offensive players in a year or two :umad:

Nikka he is not an elite defender, he is worse than avery bradley

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
:patrice:

I don't think he should be compared to Kawhi or PG. Not even MKG.

He's a good 1 on 1 defender in an INCREDIBLY slow paced team/system like Miami. Really good. That makes you Dahntay Jones, Iguodala, Tony Allen.

The difference between MKG/Kawhi/PG defending wings and the other is that you can build an entire defensive scheme off of their activity. Winslow isn't anywhere near that and most likely will never be.

He's also shyt on offense too btw:skip: but I'm not into hating on rookies like that. I think his work is cut out for him, but he can be a really good player still. I'm just glad we DIDNT take him in Charlotte due to pressure. He wouldn't do shyt for this team.

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:patrice:

I don't think he should be compared to Kawhi or PG. Not even MKG.

He's a good 1 on 1 defender in an INCREDIBLY slow paced team/system like Miami. Really good. That makes you Dahntay Jones, Iguodala, Tony Allen.

The difference between MKG/Kawhi/PG defending wings and the other is that you can build an entire defensive scheme off of their activity. Winslow isn't anywhere near that and most likely will never be.

He's also shyt on offense too btw:skip: but I'm not into hating on rookies like that. I think his work is cut out for him, but he can be a really good player still. I'm just glad we DIDNT take him in Charlotte due to pressure. He wouldn't do shyt for this team.

:dwillhuh:

Winslow is a rookie and he is absolutely capable of being the lynchpin for a defensive scheme. Ask anyone who consistently watches Winslow play. His activity and impact on the overall defense is huge.

Spo is already hard on rookies but their is a reason why Winslow is consistently on the best defensive lineups of the team. The kid can easily be a defensive anchor in a year or two just like Kawaii and George.

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
Winslow was a steal at number 10 cause we will be an all NBA defender and his offense and jumper will improve as time goes on too.

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
i know mario will likely develop into a great player too if he ever gets his offensive game down, but i don't know why magic didn't take him. especially since their coach is scott skiles, winslow would fit his gameplan/team a lot better than mario.

The Magic wanted Porzingis and took Hezonja for his shooting, they didn't expect Fournier to play the he has and Winslow didn't really fit what their team needed at the time. They needed shooting badly and Hezonja is shooting 41% from three which is great for a rookie.

KOBE

Superstar
Daps
The Magic wanted Porzingis and took Hezonja for his shooting, they didn't expect Fournier to play the he has and Winslow didn't really fit what their team needed at the time. They needed shooting badly and Hezonja is shooting 41% from three which is great for a rookie.

I realize that makes sense with oladipo and payton at the 1/2(well at the time they were before oladipo's move to the bench) and i still don't trust fournier to keep this level of play up, as his play has dropped off a lot since the end of november, but winslow could have added well to their defense in the short term while eventually becoming a three point shooter. this obviously wouldn't matter as much if mario was a ready to go player this year, but i don't feel like he really is with his size and defensive struggles, so i'd rather take a long term defensive project than a long term offensive project as it's easier to teach a player to shoot the three ball than it is to teach them how to play great defense.

and i will admit this is hindsight as no one could have expected winslow to be this great defensively this early, but with a weak interior defender in vucevic i just think they would have been better off with the better defensive player.

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
That's the thing people tend to ignore. You can't just look at said player and his results in his current situation and paint this broad stroke on how other teams missed, ignoring fit and existing personnel and needs. It's very early of course, but honestly how many teams do people feel made the wrong pick, taking into account their situations at the time of the draft?

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Meanwhile Laker fans got DeAngelo Russel :mjlol: