Leave The World Behind (Movie) - Netflix (Denzel & Julia Roberts/Sam Esmail Directing)

Htrb-nvr-blk-&-ug-as-evr

Black and not crackin’
Supporter
Daps
Them Mr. Robot connections :whoo:

Danny had them 5/9 E kits

Screenshot-20231210-152837.png

Screenshot-20231210-152908.png

The momma's E-corp computer

Screenshot-20231210-153040.png
Yall catch the other Easter eggs like the painting behind the bed changing with bigger waves as the situation worsened? Or the painting in the living room changing? Wife noticed it but I totally overlooked it.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
A glimpse of how it's going down when THEY push the button on us:lupe:

...wack ending, but trying to figure out what next would happen kept my attention for 2hrs plus:ld:

And, Too Close:dj2: is the easiest jam to catch your rhythm to:mjlol:

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
This movie also had the honorable black man trope.

Hollywood cacs are like yes black men/people are so good that they will risk their lives/limbs for some white people they barely know/ just met.

Who leaves their children in this type of situation?

When the Kevin Bacon character pulled his gun and was all like "Get off my property", Any normal person would be like, yep I am leaving. :manny:
No .

-both marshala ali and Ethan Hawke were the same. They give ppl benefit of the doubt.

- both Julia Roberts and Ruth were on the other end. They were not as easily trusting in people. Skeptical about everything.

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London
wasnt the tanker a mr robot nod too? the white lion or whatever?

what if this is in the same universe? lol

A white lion means peaceful/well being of mother nature, so the fact its crashing into the beach is sign of things to come.

The Mr Robot nod was the Book Julia had on her bedaide table, Beach Towel, was the name of the book someone wrote in Mr Robot

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Example of heavy handedness, and kind of odd framing, is the radio dial keeps hitting 1619.

When the movie lets the characters breathe, it's better, Ali starts getting into his zone about an hour in. His first parts aren't very convincing, which could be intentional, given the situation they are depicting. To me, though too much didn't work or was not needed, or some of it worked, but was so heavy handed and obvious. Hitting viewers in the head with the signals and nods at larger themes of division, racism, whatever.

Great actors doing their thing is always fun, but this is like a B- at best. Why do Netflix movies so often have that look to them like an AI created soundstage set, even with some dope establishing shots?

The biggest issue would be the people felt like caricatures to move the plot along and bounce around ideas about race and class. The book characterized the family so incisively, it was like they were real people, because they probably are, composites. The movie lost all the details about family, and status, and privilege, and corporate culture, plus academic culture. Scathing but measured criticism of liberalism in places like gentrified Brooklyn. it was just vicious, but still humane. The movie lurches from BIG ISSUE to BIG ISSUE like a drunk leaving a bar.

Last edited:

Tommy Lee Jones

All Star
Daps
you knew from the style of movie we were never getting a conclusive ending but they really fukked the ending up. its like the movie just ended abruptly. at least have all of the people outside of the house banging on the door trying to get in then show the little girl ignoring them and getting her snacks and shyt. not that hard to do.

DeeezNuts

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Manhattan, NY
. Just finished this shyt… all I gotta say is this.. raise your fukkin kids right… don’t have them turn into little pieces of shyt like the daughter did… with all this shyt going on.. this dumb bytch leaves and have her family looking for her…and in the fukkin end… she locks herself up in some fukkin bunker.. to watch fukkin wack ass Friends tv show… fukk her and fukk her parents for raising her to be a little piece of shyt

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
. Just finished this shyt… all I gotta say is this.. raise your fukkin kids right… don’t have them turn into little pieces of shyt like the daughter did… with all this shyt going on.. this dumb bytch leaves and have her family looking for her…and in the fukkin end… she locks herself up in some fukkin bunker.. to watch fukkin wack ass Friends tv show… fukk her and fukk her parents for raising her to be a little piece of shyt
She was bullshiet until that happened so apparently she wanted a pile of junk food and 90s yt show which wasn't going to be in a Black household, not Mahershalla's anyway

DeeezNuts

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Manhattan, NY
She was bullshiet until that happened so apparently she wanted a pile of junk food and 90s yt show which wasn't going to be in a Black household, not Mahershalla's anyway
Fukkin selfish ass kids… I swear that shyt had me heated… I would’ve left that bytch… and it still didn’t dawn on her.. like bytch.. don’t you fukkin think.., your family would be fukkin looking for you? Da fukk