Leave The World Behind (Movie) - Netflix (Denzel & Julia Roberts/Sam Esmail Directing)

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
This movie also had the honorable black man trope.

Hollywood cacs are like yes black men/people are so good that they will risk their lives/limbs for some white people they barely know/ just met.

Who leaves their children in this type of situation?

When the Kevin Bacon character pulled his gun and was all like "Get off my property", Any normal person would be like, yep I am leaving. :manny:

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Aw hell naw. Esmail got me fukked up :gucci:

It's forever luv for making Mr Robot but I'm not going wit this one. Between this joint and Don't Look Up last year, I'm sick of these shyts brehs.

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO

Hollywood cacs are like yes black men/people are so good that they will risk their lives/limbs for some white people they barely know/ just met.

When the Kevin Bacon character pulled his gun and was all like "Get off my property", Any normal person would be like, yep I am leaving. :manny:

HE HAS A WHITE WIFE
AND WAS ABOUT TO fukk THAT
MARRIED WHITE WOMAN IN HIS MUSIC DEN.
HE HAS A WHITE MAGA LOOKING CONTRACTOR
AND HANGS OUT WITH SECRETARY OF DEFENSE
CACS.

HE LOVES WHITE PPL.

:devil:
:evil:

Last edited:

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
An hour in, and unfortunately this isn't very good. I loved the book, and thought the adaptation would be much closer to the book, and I get all the inherent problems with that, but this still is very tonally and substantively off. Even as a straight movie, had I not read the book, this wouldn't be very good. I also love Harper from Industry, but her character is jarring here. Julia Roberts is almost chewing the scenery. It isn't meant to be a racial comedy/awakening, it's highlighting subtle class and race tensions, but the Roberts character here is almost parody like as a "Karen". It's also exploring tension in a marriage, tension in relationships. it's about a liberal kind of cowardice. The movie showed that when he left the woman on the side of the road.

The book was way more subtle, and thoughtful with is characterizations.

It's got that Netflix look, all sanded edges and CGI, everything looks like an imitation of real life, it's not very naturalistic, which was a big part of the book. Everyday life. The ennuni of the upper class, the racial tension across the upper class, racially, but also resource wise. It was a very sharp, incisive look at the way people live their lives, their inner fears, their weaknesses. This has little nods and heavy handed references, but no depth.

This is a movie/book that should be essentially like a play, in a closed set, for like 3/4 of the movie. There's some great scenery, but it's meant to realistically build a world of vacationing family from Brooklyn, who are upper middle class academics/career professionals. All the best scenes from the book's first part are cut, or reduced to basically nods. The shopping trip, the sex scene, their work lives. And I understand that, but in doing so, they have drained all the tension, and traded it for a random oil tanker scene, which is kinda technically impressive, but not tense, or scary, or even captured very believably. You are supposed to be immersed in their world and then have that undone by the arrival of the other family. Here, everything is too glossy, too quick, too few details, though the house and all the manicured nails and door handles look great. It has no grit, no depth.

Last edited:

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Like Night of the Living Dead's intro or Scream, a movie's thrills depend on how NORMAL real life seems before the killings/horror happens. The people have to feel real. The mundane has to feel real. Like your life. This movie is ominous and heavy handed from the first frames. All those satellite shots. This movie misses all that. And switches it out for some heavy handed racial drama and sci fi thriller tropes.

Or Collateral. The movie feels like a real place and real people, before the thriller elements creep in.

adds a lot of trite and weird sexual elements. Through the Harper character. Dumb. Unneeded. The book had this great section about marital sex and sex in general, super intimate and uncomfortable, and realistic.

Last edited:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Also in typical modern female fashion, she made a pass at Ethan Hawke's character but then claimed it was HIM thirsting lol

I really liked how the film tackled these characters as archetypes and dismantled/redeemed them
I love how Ethan's Clay was so compassionate, but his wife was so cold...mentioned that it was further emphasized by their career choices (for her, implied for him). She was also someone of some status, and realized how much she and GH understood one another and the hierarchy.

ABlackMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Hood America

I didn’t wanna say it but exactly lol

Homie mentioned how the white guy left his family it’s very old timey shyt iykyk leave the nikka to clean up mess and take care of home while white boy go out and “handle business” but really do nothing at all

Soon as dude said leave im leaving screw it whatever

This man stepping closer 😂😂😂

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps

Yeah, I enjoyed the movie overall but that part had me thinking "If you don't get back to your daughter" :gucci:. Also the trope of people wandering off in different directions, especially when shyt is going down.

I had a feeling the ending wouldn't be something conclusive, but didn't anticipate the Friends fix :skip:

Acting, direction were on point and I thought it did a great job in creating an ominous tone early on.

Hersh

Superstar
Daps
wasnt the tanker a mr robot nod too? the white lion or whatever?

what if this is in the same universe? lol

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
He did Don't Look Up?

Nah, he didn't but this movie kind of reminded me of it a little bit. Big cast. End of the world plot. Tense and anxiety ridden throughout but also relying heavily on the dialogue between the characters on sum abstract shyt only for the end to be questionable depending on who you ask.

HoldThisL

Captain L
Daps
Movie was good, but ending was trash. I wish it was some type of alien invasion, would have been cool. Idc about the message of the movie, it's not any groundbreaking stuff.