Latino magazine mad over Empire ask: "Where are the Latinos?"

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
The biggest disco outfit in the 1970s out of NYC was Salsoul Records.

Sal= Salsa
soul= soul music

Again....you have no CLUE. This city was a marriage of diasporan cultures.

:mjlol: you can't be serious right now

disco music and funk predates salsoul records

and I clearly said DISCO DJ CULTURE

afram sound systems are from disco culture....not at all related to jamaican soundsystems.

straight from Baamnatta:

Herc and Baam always point out that the Jamaican soundsystem influence was zero

Founding Fathers Documentary: Hip Hop Did Not Start in the Bronx

To be sure, there were all kinds of mobile jocks in New York in the early 70′s. Hands down, no questions. I’ve always asked the Bronx cats that I’ve interviewed this one important question, “Yo, what impact did the Jamaican sound systems have on ya’ll?”

Everybody from Toney Tone to Kool Herc to Bambaataa said: “None, none at all. They weren’t a part of our thing. They did their own thing.”

The one time I interviewed Kool Herc I asked him about the Jamaican sound systems in the Bronx and he acknowledged knowing a few of them, but said that they had no influence or impact whatsoever.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
I'm from the city....naaaaaa fam them Puerto Rican's shared the circumstances but they damn sure wasn't the lifeline of this shyt at all...Next you'll be trying to lend credence to that Spanish reggae shyt...You brought up a dance lol
I don’t argue next thing you know shyt.

No one said “lifeline” of anything. Argue what the fukk I said not what you think I said or will say.

Y’all dudes stay debating yourselves.

NYC Rebel

Daps
:mjlol: you can't be serious right now

disco music and funk predates salsoul records

and I clearly said DISCO DJ CULTURE

afram sound systems are from disco culture....not at all related to jamaican soundsystems.

straight from Baamnatta:

Herc and Baam always point out that the Jamaican soundsystem influence was zero

Of course disco music predates Salsoul. Disco was really king in philly. But disco culture here in NYC had a salsa mix to it.

Again...this was driven by African Americans, but they were influenced by the things around it to.

Daps
I don’t argue next thing you know shut.

No one said “lifeline” of anything. Argue what the fukk I said not what you think I said or will say.

Something Something of the sort..got it! Anyhow them guys aren't the architects of this shyt in no shape or form. If anything they were the first leaches to the table which continues to this very day. :yeshrug:

NYC Rebel

Daps
Something Something of the sort..got it! Anyhow them guys aren't the architects of this shyt in no shape or form. If anything they were the first leaches to the table which continues to this very day. :yeshrug:
Whatever works for you. They were their and played a part.

The same way kung Fu flick culture in NYC played a role in breakdancing. No one talks about that either

Daps
Whatever works for you. They were their and played a part.

The same way kung Fu flick culture in NYC played a role in breakdancing. No one talks about that either

Lmao played a part in what? I'm open to learning what exactly did latinos contribute to the foundation of hip hop? What element of the hip hop experience can be directly traced back to NYC latinos? :gladbron:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Who cares if they couldn’t tel if he was Jamaican?

it shows what culture was influencing who.....:skip:

There were other DJs before Herc and some were from the Caribbean and other in carribean neighborhoods.

the main DJ's of that were basically all aframs from the south

tYhIO1e.jpg

DJ Reggie Wells

(standing with Kool Herc)

Cats on the hiphop circuit know about the work Reggie Wells put in at Club 371(Along with Hollywood, Eddie Cheeba, Junbug/Rip), During the mid 70's to early 80's, But, Cats on the dance music circuit most definitely know about Reggie Wells reputation for rockin a spot all-night to the morning lite at Justines(35thst and 8thave in Manhattan),

From 1979-1984, Reggie Wells started mixing on the Dance music circuit in 1974(Along with Reggie Wells mixing on the radio at CCNY in Harlem, During the mid/late 70's too, Reggie Wells was also mixing on BLS during the late 70's(1978-1980), Too, Reggie Wells, Junbug and Lovebug Starski, Are a few of the cats that i have ever heard, Who could

Rock a party for any type of crowd(Dance music crowd/R&B commercial crowd, Hiphop crowd, Stickup kid crowd, Big Willy drug dealer crowd, Etc), Reggie Wells was one of the premiere Dj's in New York, During ther late 70's to late 80's, Reggie Wells was one of the first cats to mix on the Intrepid(Battleship on 45thst and the Westside Highway),

pete-dj-jones.jpg

Pete Dj Jones

YEkY7ri.jpg

1*FwTsSLF2XEecgAQ2KOedtQ.jpeg

dj hollywood

cokelarockfinal-edit.jpg

Coke La Rock

12938239_10208155991676347_2133347912824925892_n.jpg

Disco King Mario

Dj%2BKool%2BDee%2Bat%2BParadise%2BSmalls.jpg

Kool Dj Dee

You’re not going to datamine your way to tell me the dynamics of this city. Your own common sense knows that if you have over 1,000 people packed in on one city block, you’re gong to kids who feed off each other. Citing names and origins doesn’t speak to the origins of the things that influence them.

afram influence was the main influence and the examples are endless....

You brought up disco, I show you the main disco outfit in NYC was Salsoul.

I said disco dj's but even then, Disco music predates salsoul:sas1:

The father of House music is from NYC, mixed the philly sound in NYC and brought it to Chicago...but no one says NY or Philly started house music...but I’ll be damned if they didn’t influence it.

philly is the blueprint....knuckles gets props for bringing that vibe to chicago but the REAL chicago house (stripped down disco) is from chicago

This city was a mesh of cultures and circumstances which created hip hop.

the city was a mesh of many groups but it's a myth that they came together to make hiphop

james brown = the musical dna of hiphop

afram oral traditions = the reason rapping started

afram jazz era dancing birthed the roots to bboying

Last edited:

NYC Rebel

Daps
Lmao played a part in what?

Kung Fu Flick culture was HUGE in black and Puerto Rican NYC in the 70s. Lots of the breakdance elements came from the flicks we watched. Those finishing poses were straight from the flicks.

That’s the thing...NYC was different. We could cherry pick elements from different cultures and formed a new culture. AAs were the driving force behind it all.

NYC Rebel

Daps
it shows what culture was influencing who.....:skip:

the main DJ's of that were basically all aframs from the south

tYhIO1e.jpg

DJ Reggie Wells

(standing with Kool Herc)

pete-dj-jones.jpg

Pete Dj Jones

YEkY7ri.jpg

1*FwTsSLF2XEecgAQ2KOedtQ.jpeg

dj hollywood

cokelarockfinal-edit.jpg

Coke La Rock

12938239_10208155991676347_2133347912824925892_n.jpg

Disco King Mario

Dj%2BKool%2BDee%2Bat%2BParadise%2BSmalls.jpg

Kool Dj Dee

afram influence was the main influence and the examples and endless....

I said disco dj's but even then, Disco music predates salsoul:sas1:

philly is the blueprint....knuckles gets props for bringing that vibe to chicago but the REAL chicago house (stripped down disco) is from chicago

the city was a mesh of many groups but it's a myth that they came together to make hiphop

james brown = the musical dna of hiphop

afram oral traditions = the reason rapping started

afram jazz era dancing birthed the roots to bboying

You posted Grandmaster Flowers earlier. He’s AA but grew up in Flatbush, the largest West Indian community in the world outside of the West Indies. he was one of the first people to play club music from a sound system during Carnival.

Just because they weren’t of Caribbean origin and can’t point to West Indians overall doesn’t mean they weren’t influenced by those around them. You can datamine all you want, but if you live next door to someone of another culture as a teen, you’re going to likely be into a lot of the same things.

Who said JB didn’t influence hip hop? :mindblown:

Why is that even being posted?

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
AAs like you are the reason every other group in the world thinks we have no culture. It's not about taking credit, it's about giving credit where it's due and paying homage to the nikkas that laid the foundation. Our roots are in the south. Raps roots are in the south. Rap is more than music, this shyt is our culture and history.

U can miss me with all this sentimental shyt :camby:

Hip Hop is a NY creation period

An AA NY creation but a NY creation nonetheless

Funny y'all be so quick to shyt on NY when NY does something another part of the country started but NY create something and the whole country gets to take credit for it?

Nah

And I Love hip hop music from all over the country but we not changing the narrative to hip hop was created all over the U.S. when in reality it was created in NY and the rest of the US put their take on it.

Y'all doing all these mental gymnastics saying it started with jazz and in the carribbean can :camby:

And :umad:

Razor Reader

Formerly -----
Daps
Reppin
Game, Prosperity and Good Fortune
U can miss me with all this sentimental shyt :camby:

Hip Hop is a NY creation period

An AA NY creation but a NY creation nonetheless

Funny y'all be so quick to shyt on NY when NY does something another part of the country started but NY create something and the whole country gets to take credit for it?

Nah

And I Love hip hop music from all over the country but we not changing the narrative to hip hop was created all over the U.S. when in reality it was created in NY and the rest of the US put their take on it.

Y'all doing all these mental gymnastics saying it started with jazz and in the carribbean can :camby:

And :umad:

African Americans in New York have and always will be the main thrust my hip hop. The Caribbean and Latino element is way overstated even r ny point of view

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
You posted Grandmaster Flowers earlier. He’s AA but grew up in Flatbush, the largest West Indian community in the world outside of the West Indies. he was one of the first people to play club music from a sound system during Carnival.

he came up there in 1960's brooklyn and he played AFRAM music at those west indian parades

Just because they weren’t of Caribbean origin and can’t point to West Indians overall doesn’t mean they weren’t influenced by those around them. You can datamine all you want, but if you live next door to someone of another culture as a teen, you’re going to likely be into a lot of the same things.

:skip:

Who said JB didn’t influence hip hop? :mindblown:

Why is that even being posted?

I posted that because that should pretty much end the discussion as to what culture actually gave HipHop a sound to run with and it clearly wasn't anything from jamaica or the Carribean

NYC Rebel

Daps
he came up there in 1960's brooklyn and he played AFRAM music at those west indian parades

:skip:

I posted that because that should pretty much end the discussion as to what culture actually gave HipHop a sound to run with and it clearly wasn't anything from jamaica or the Carribean
I said we took southern soul and made it our own . Just like Fela took from JB and refined Afro beats. How did you bringing up what that southern soul was change anything?