Latino magazine mad over Empire ask: "Where are the Latinos?"

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Quote me where I said West Indians started Hip hop.
I'll repeat: Quote me where I said West Indians started Hip hop. not where you think or feel i insinuated that AAs didn't start hip hop.

not you in particular, but whatever group is trying to come along and lay claim to the culture. be it west indies, russians, mexicans, whomever.

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Bushed
Daps
No they aren't. Ask Brazilian if they are Latino and see what they say. A Brazilian lady made sure she corrected me a few years ago when I called her that.
And if you consider Brazilian Latinos I hope you also consider people from Martinique and Guadalupe Latinos as well since French (their national Language) is a Latin language.
Latinos want to claim Brazilians but Brazilians don't want to be claimed by Latinos.
Girl, shut up. There are Brazilians who live in Brazil on this very site that will tell you that they are Latino.

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/american-girls-think-im-hispanic.177067/page-3#post-6776721

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Leave it to the Coli to turn a serious thread about race relations with the group who is set to become the majority in our country into a Black Americans vs West Indians pissing match
good point, but it was always going to turn into a "who created hiphop" thread, its inevitable

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
Bambaataa was influenced by Disco king Mario. He is the one who pent bam his set when he first started out. Disco king Mario came straight from N.C., if I remember correctly. It was either n.c. or s.c.

Bambaataa himself cites DJ Grandmaster Flowers as one his biggest influences.

I don't know. Explain because you may teach me something.

The phrase "Juke Joint" itself has roots from the Gullah people. They were set up during slavery to be a socializing place for Africa American . After emancipation they evolved to become social nightspots (aka nightclubs) for African American workers and townspeople where blacks could gamble, dance to music, eat, drink etc. And they also acted as hotels for blacks passing through town. They very much operated as a nightclub.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
not you in particular, but whatever group is trying to come along and lay claim to the culture. be it west indies, russians, mexicans, whomever.

i don't understand how you can call someone like Kool Herc a "pioneer" of hip hop but pretend he's not west indian

@IllmaticDelta you dropped a couple west indians in your sources. also what can you tell me about the Ghetto Brothers in the Bronx? that were Puerto Rican

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
I'll repeat: Quote me where I said West Indians started Hip hop. not where you think or feel i insinuated that AAs didn't start hip hop.

You're not gonna pigeonhole me here. That has been your insinuation throughout this entire exchange. Now how about you quote me where I wasn't giving Caribbean's credit for the part they played in hiphop?

If you can't then this discussion is over and there isn't anything else to talk about here. We've already established that hiphop is an African American creation with Caribbean influences. We've established that Caribbeans have had an impact on African American culture. Now what else do you have?

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
i don't understand how you can call someone like Kool Herc a "pioneer" of hip hop but pretend he's not west indian

@IllmaticDelta you dropped a couple west indians in your sources. also what can you tell me about the Ghetto Brothers in the Bronx? that were Puerto Rican

2nd try, do you agree with this statement. Yes or No

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bambaataa himself cites DJ Grandmaster Flowers as one his biggest influences.

The phrase "Juke Joint" itself has roots from the Gullah people. They were set up during slavery to be a socializing place for Africa American . After emancipation they evolved to become social nightspots (aka nightclubs) for African American workers and townspeople where blacks could gamble, dance to music, eat, drink etc. And they also acted as hotels for blacks passing through town. They very much operated as a nightclub.
Bam is someone who I have to take what he says with a slight eye because he rarely mentioned discoking mario, yet he was the one who would have watched mario doing it in the bronx.

He also claimed to have won a trip to Africa which started the Zulu nation, but, I hear now, he got the money from the black spade members pitching in to send him there. Then there is other stuff, that I won't mention, but bambaata stories don't add up.

I didn't know that about the Gullah!:leon:

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
You're not gonna pigeonhole me here. That has been your insinuation throughout this entire exchange. Now how about you quote me where I wasn't giving Caribbean's credit for the part they played in hiphop?

If you can't then this discussion is over and there isn't anything else to talk about here. We've already established that hiphop is an African American creation with Caribbean influences. We've established that Caribbeans have had an impact on African American culture. Now what else do you have?
Many of hip hop's "founders" are West Indians. hence, no west indians, no hip hop as we know it. yall the ones arguing that west indian people weren't involved in hip hop

2nd try, do you agree with this statement. Yes or No

i answered you already.
it wasn't started solely by West Indians obviously but it was started by AA and West Indians and to a lesser extent Puerto Ricans if we are talking about the 5 elements

jwonder

Banned
Daps
Reppin
DADE County
Haitians and Jamaicans be there reppin also.

Bros_of_Calle_Ocho_1.jpg

CalleOcho-52.jpg

kppb%20-%20calle%20ocho%201.jpg
A lot of people in Miami rep their culture at different events. Come job time them Cubans are not cool at all. So all this is just propaganda.