Latino magazine mad over Empire ask: "Where are the Latinos?"

Tae

All Star
Daps
:duck:

tumblr_mmx1z0Te8t1r961bco1_500.jpg

would be #1, 2 and 3 on my list

I never said you didn't like black Latinas I said if Latina magazine compiled a list of the 10 Hottest Latinas and no Afro-Latinas were on the list and it was posted in The Coli most of the brehs would have no problem with the list at all. And if someone pointed it out dudes would be :stopitslime:at brehs for killing the vibe.
But somehow these same brehs they are ready to :pacspit: at Latinos...men I should specify (even thought the author is Latina herself) for wanting to be represented on a "black show" about hip-hop.
And these dudes are so glib they don't even see how the two correlate.

Tae

All Star
Daps
no, the dancing kid is black. i dont know what type of racial hybrid fictional mix naveen is.

RMK1425GM_z.jpg

According to Disney he's Brazilian.
Those Latin papi's....Ay dios mio. :noah:
Just kidding...Brazilians aren't Latinos. :mjpls:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Never watched that stupid show anyway.

From what I've read, the show perpetuates stereotypes and makes caricatures of black people.
I wouldn't care to see more stereotypes and caricatures of latino people.

:manny:

emoney

custom user title
Daps
:pachaha: You answered your own question with those quotes.

1. Lupita is an African woman, not a black woman.
2. I was referring to her fanbase with the word crispy, not her personally.
3. I was defending a black woman from a white woman worshipper. I was uplifting a black woman right there.
4. Oh one girl is suppose to be women now? Where are the other girls? Also shes a black american woman whether you like it or not.

Africans (Sub-Saharans) are Black, In fact we are the OG Blacks

BTW, Aren't you Mulatto or something? You said you were very light skinned

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Bamabaatta was roughneck from NYC, whose PARENTS were from the islands. I'm from NYC, and my mother is from the south but, to me. NYC created me, and NC created my mother. what's your point?

Herc came directly from Jamaica but it had no influence on his style. Let him tell you himself:

Not once, did i even mention reggae or toasting or anything. I said "without west indians there is no hip hop". is Bambaatta African American? because based on yall posts he's not. Thus he is West Indian. Again yall trying to argue against things i didn't say. Kool Herc saying that reggae didn' thave influence on him and whatever doesn't change the fact that he is West Indian.
Breh, don't insult me. In this thread, I have acknowledged the impact that Caribbean's have had on African American culture. I've even acknowledged the impact Caribbean's have had on hiphop. Does that sound like an insecure cat to you? What I don't agree with is the assertion that hiphop wouldn't be what it is without Caribbean's. Hiphop culture was already developing before these cats came to the forefront. But at the end of the day, there is no way to prove or disprove your statement, so it's an asinine point to make.

again, -if hip hop was developing without west indians, why didn't hip hop emerge in Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Gary, DC, etc. etc. etc. ?

1.the west indian population is not bigger than the AA pop even in 2015. Yes their was a lot of flight back to the south but lets not overdo it.
2.Only smart dumb nikka/ confused AA's feel some type of way when afro-latinos,Africans and west Indians don't claim to be black or African American

Black American influence/music was a cornerstone in creating reggae music. Yet you never hear about it from African Americans. Jamaican music is just allowed to be Jamaican music with no catch.

1) i never said that. again read what i typed.
2) Jamaicans will be the first to tell you reggae was influenced from the jazz and soul that was broadcasted to the island. but no African Americans ever came down to Jamaica to create reggae. West Indians and people of West Indian descent were in the trenches with hip hop

emoney

custom user title
Daps
What white maid? The only other white person I can think of is Judd Nelson, the owner of the rival record label (& former brat pack/ Hollywood 'bad boy')

& I'm sure Jennifer Lopez & Fat Joe will be on the next season; if not season 3.

hopefully not! and not because they are Puerto Ricans...But they shouldn't overdo it with the guest appearances.

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
398678_1268754493489_full.jpg
tumblr_mmkbcak5tV1rc2pkbo4_500.gif

Well this thread isnt about my avi, but this is his family. Prince Naveen aint white. Back to the thread topic.
hopefully not! and not because they are Puerto Ricans...But they shouldn't overdo it with the guest appearances.
hmmm my above comment didnt post... but Jennifer Lopez will play any type of a Spanish female role. Nothing wrong with it either.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
you mean the unique environment of West Indians :patrice:. i've read Illmatic Delta's posts, rapping comes from Africa thus "rap" started in the South (just like similar vocal styles developed elsewhere in the diaspora). He's also right that American jazz and soul influence reggae and ska in Jamaica which would end up influencing hip hop here. But none of that makes my point false, that there's no hip hop without West Indians. And hip hop wouldn't be around today if it wasn't for West Indians. Again, hip hop (pay attention to the words i'm using, i'm not just talking about rapping) didn't emerge in any of the other cities whose black populations were solely AA. how do you explain hip hop developing in NYC and not Detroit, Atlanta, or Chicago or elsewhere?

HipHop was in other places in the USA but without the name HIpHOp...The Black American antecedents were everywhere

Rmo7QUK.jpg

Let's not forget the West Coast influence on HipHop..from the tribal jazz poetry of the Watts Prophets-->rapping

to the street dance.."Locking" is the 1st HipHop style dance and then you have a whole branch of dances from the West going back to the 1960's called "Funk Styles". Electric Boogaloo falls under the umbrella. They, like the East Coast dudes danced to Funk but their focus was the Funky bassline-groove more than the funky drummer-groove. Then they started dancing to Electro-Funk and next, Electro-Hop

go to @ 7:00 in the video below...11:27 NYC's talk about how the West Coast scene influenced the NY scene

it's called "Electric Boogie" by early 1980's New York Bboys

What we now think of as "HipHop Graf" started in Philly in the late mid to late 1960's

avBJahw.jpg

go to 3:00 mins in this video

@ :25 secs

Paint It Back: The History of American Graffiti

Thanks to President Obama and the Academy Awards, Shepard Fairey and Banksy are household names today. But before mainstream media plastered their work across the world, they’d already done it for themselves, rising to the status of contemporary street art royalty: infamous and rich for making illegal and legal artwork that kids cop and celebrities and curators covet. Both artists would admit, however, that they are just part of a continuum. As Roger Gastman and Caleb Neelon, co-authors of The History of American Graffiti, assert in their introduction, “Humans write graffiti.” So true: cave paintings, petroglyphs, and pictographs begat World War II “Kilroy was here” and Bozo Texino scrawls on railcars begat disenfranchised kids “getting up” on any surface they could slick with ink and paint.
Exactly who was the first kid to spread a name or moniker across a cityscape is up for debate, but this book is as close as one will ever get to a definitive answer. A blow-by-blow, regional dissection of graffiti’s proliferation across the United States, relying on first-hand accounts, interviews, mountains of photographs, and a pinch of healthy speculation, Gastman and Neelon have connected the dots to reveal a comprehensive and important story about how doing something as simple as writing your name in a public space grew into a global movement that has left its colorful residue on all aspects of culture, from politics and media to fashion and urban planning.

Common knowledge to those in the know, but perhaps a surprise to neophytes, graffiti as we think of it today started in Philadelphia, not New York. In 1965, yearning for his grandmother’s cornbread while at reform school, Darryl Alexander McCray started writing CORNBREAD on the school’s buildings, vying for attention alongside the names of gangs. Released in 1967, CORNBREAD ran roughshod through North Philadelphia, inspiring others like COOL EARL and KOOL KLEPTO KIDD. Soon, teenagers were canvassing the city with their tags, running in crews, and keeping tabs on other crews operating in different neighborhoods (which eventually led to crews with national chapters, like TKO). KOOL KLEPTO KIDD recalls the first time he met writers from West Philadelphia, “that was really a beautiful feeling because we had been tracking each other for the longest time.”

There is an element of graffiti fueled by conflict – personal beefs, neighborhood disputes, gang rivalries – and while the book does not shy away from these realities, the dominant theme is that kids rallied around graffiti. In fact, as the authors astutely point out, they invented it: “Graffiti can claim something that no other art movement can: it was entirely created and developed by kids.” With the disillusionment fomented by a string of senseless assassinations, the Vietnam War, and Watergate, kids knew that it was up to them to stake their claim in a culture that was both indifferent and inept when it came to bettering the quality of life in the country’s urban centers.

Certainly that is what happened in New York when graffiti really took shape as the city’s finances and national reputation were in a downward spiral. As LIL SOUL 159, a Queens-based writer active in the early 1970s insists, “Any writer will tell you that graffiti tore down the racial barriers of the late 1960s and early 1970s – eradicated them! And you just didn’t see that in New York City until graffiti hit the scene. Once we smelled that ink, we were just writers.” This sense of camaraderie fueled with a dose of healthy competition spawned the highly stylized, audacious lettering that blanketed trains, buildings, billboards, and any other imaginable city substrate so as to spread a name far and wide. Writers prioritized subway lines that covered the most ground. Seeing SUPER KOOL 223 all over the 4 train, which runs between the Bronx and Brooklyn, STAY HIGH 149 decided he had to go bigger and better. This attitude, shared by most writers, resulted in tags evolving from written monikers followed by numbers usually representing streets to more ornate pieces comprising block and bubble lettering, characters, and other visual ornaments.

The same as MTA trains carried a writer’s fame across boroughs, freight trains began to crisscross the county ablaze with the work of writers no longer content to be all-city. The freights let kids who had never been out of state go all-country, spreading graffiti through the suburbs and desolate plains of middle America. While plenty of books have documented the graffiti of New York, Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay Area, and the primary instigators of these scenes, Gastman and Neelon have dug much, much deeper, covering cities like Chicago and Washington D.C., as well as Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Boston, Nashville, Denver, Alburquerque – the list goes on. In doing so they trace graffiti’s development and make the case for it as a true American art form akin to jazz.

In the 1980s, the documentary Wild Style and the book Subway Art played major roles in establishing graffiti as a legitimate art movement; bolstered by its relationship to hip-hop, writers got their first tastes of celebrity and gallery cultures. At the same time, because of the work they did on the streets, the media clumped Keith Haring and Jean-Michel Basquiat with writers like DAZE. Neither Haring nor Basquiat considered themselves graffiti artists, but they did help usher in the era of street art. While traditional aerosol tags continued to go up all over the country, and world, new materials and methods were applied to the streets. Posters, stickers, and stencils carried messages, logos, and more formalized characters. Today graffiti and street art thrive; artists travel the world, receive commissions, sell their art for huge sums, and license their work for ads, sneakers, and video games.

But one person’s hero is another’s vandal. Street art remains illegal almost everywhere. Municipalities actively and aggressively buff people’s work. Visit a wall in some city today and it won’t look like it did back in 1979, 1985, 1999, or even 2004. The carvings and paintings of France’s Lascaux caves and the canyons of the American southwest have been preserved as vital visual records of how early humans externalized interior thoughts. But the graffiti in this book has been painted over or chipped away, though it serves as the foundation for a global art movement that is as much about claiming individuality as it is about visual aesthetics.

This is what makes The History of American Graffiti that much more impressive. Roger Gastman and Caleb Neelon have gathered the origins of a story that up until now have only existed in fragments. For graffiti fans, pieces of the puzzle will be filled in and the riot of never-before-seen imagery will guarantee that this book is always within reach. Don’t like graffiti? It matters not, as this is a worthy read if you have any interest in late twentieth century America because the world we live in would not look the same if it weren’t for bold, creative kids hell bent on making sure that their presence was recognized by a culture that easily could have forgotten them.

http://www.themillions.com/2011/04/paint-it-back-the-history-of-american-graffiti.html

The only thing was that Disco clubbing culture was a product on NYC...HIpHop clubbing began as ghetto alternative for people who couldn't get int the Disco's

emoney

custom user title
Daps
398678_1268754493489_full.jpg
tumblr_mmkbcak5tV1rc2pkbo4_500.gif

Well this thread isnt about my avi, but this is his family. Prince Naveen aint white. Back to the thread topic.

hmmm my above comment didnt post... but Jennifer Lopez will play any type of a Spanish female role. Nothing wrong with it either.

Prince Naveen's parents look like Indians in that pic. Dude's wife got on a Sari

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not once, did i even mention reggae or toasting or anything. I said "without west indians there is no hip hop". is Bambaatta African American? because based on yall posts he's not. Thus he is West Indian. Again yall trying to argue against things i didn't say. Kool Herc saying that reggae didn' thave influence on him and whatever doesn't change the fact that he is West Indian.

again, -if hip hop was developing without west indians, why didn't hip hop emerge in Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Gary, DC, etc. etc. etc. ?

1) i never said that. again read what i typed.
2) Jamaicans will be the first to tell you reggae was influenced from the jazz and soul that was broadcasted to the island. but no African Americans ever came down to Jamaica to create reggae. West Indians and people of West Indian descent were in the trenches with hip hop
If I just gave you names of people who came before herc, and bam, that were either straight from NYC or from the south, why are you still making this claim of without west Indians there is no hip hop?

2- I don't agree with west Indians or whoever that is black not being American if they grew up here. I understand where those who!say that are coming from, but, I don't agree with it.

3-i already explained why it didn't develop in other states but you want to play a game.

Im done. Peace.