Latino magazine mad over Empire ask: "Where are the Latinos?"

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Bushed
Daps
The comment section.

Just looking at this very website one can clearly see that Latin media vastly excludes its Black constituents. In 2015 enough people are informed enough to know that the likes of Sammy Sosa, Big Papi, Lala Vasquez, Rosario Dawson and millions of non-famous who look like them are African descended and not Indian or Spanish like you and they like to pretend. So where are these people represented in your magazine? Or in beauty pageants, telenovas, or business? You practice the same system of white supremacy that is practiced in the USA which explains why you feel entitled for black Americans to give you all the credit for things you haven't worked for or earned. I hope they do add some Latinos and I hope they are all black as hell. Then we'll see what you have to say about that.
Ana • 6 hours ago
This article is hypocritical as hell. Despite there being millions of afro-latinos, their existence is largely ignored, to continue the false image that most Latinos look like Sofia Vergara and William Levy. Have you ever watched a telanovela or really anything media related from Latin America? You won't find an afro-latino unless they are a maid, criminal, being used to make racial jokes, or considered famous enough to be acknowledged. Even in THIS ARTICLE you pretend like they don't exist. Any of those black people, could very well be afro-latino. Yet you don't care because it wouldn't fit with the image you want to portray of a what a Latino is.

Monrose896 hours ago
Lmao at where are the Latinos?

Black folks can't have shyt!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOTHING....

Do ya'll put us black folk in your telenovelas? I'm Afro-Latina and even I don't have a problem with the casting.

The Puerto Rican kids of the Bronx were indeed key participants of Hip Hop since its inception back in the 70's. Although a fact largely ignored today, still doesn't make it any less factual. They were as much a part of it as the West Indians were from the very beginning. History can prove that because they are memorialized in pictures and footage. Those that refute those facts clearly have no knowledge of Hip Hop culture and are in major need of a history lesson.

But with that being said, I do believe this article reeks of jealousy and as a Latina (Dominican), I am embarrassed by this. Empire is not a documentary on Hip Hop, so having Latino cast members is unnecessary simply for the sake of historical accuracy. This is a Black show, by Black writers, director and cast. Let them have their moment, we don't need to be a part of everything. I don't watch Empire but I'm very proud of its success. What was the last show of almost an entirely black cast that was this successful in primetime? It's been over 2 decades since the Cosby Show. Latinos, we have our own race issues to acknowledge. Like the lack of diversity and representation of Afro-Latinos in Spanish media and this magazine is very guilty of perpetuating the notion that we all look like Sofia and William Levy. The majority of us don't have blond hair and light eyes like those two. Celia (writer) proves this by disregarding that those blacks could also be Afro-Latinos. This is the first time since the 70's that this many people of color are stars of primetime network shows. This is all theirs thankfully because we've been asking for diversity for many years and now you have the nerve to complain about it when it's brought to fruition.

One last point I want to make is that No. 1 on this list is incorrect as well. Ceo's in Hip Hop are ALWAYS a part of the recording process and have been since forever. Diddy is the Ceo of Bad Boy, yet produces all of his artists including his own music. Russell Simmons early on produced several tracks while at the helm of Def Jam. Master P as the Ceo of No Limit also produced and created his own music as well. Rappers have had their own labels for years! The list goes on and on. Celia, you've proven that your knowledge of hip hop is limited and you've made us all look very stupid and bitter with this article and this list is utterly ridiculous and unnecessary as hell. You can complain all you want when Netflix premiers "The Get Down" next year, which will be a scripted series on the early days of hip hop. Until then, pleae don't write anymore articles about lack of representation when this magazine doesn't even represent it's own Black Latinos.
noavatar92.png

Nikki • 7 hours ago
And where are the blacks on your shows, movies, and magazine covers?
:whew:

Last edited:

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
You see no black people in the telenovas lol Come on

When black people were doing hip hop they were the first non blacks to watch. That's it.
what? watch? sorry but do u know anything about the peace treaty in NY during 1971? it was blacks and plenty of latinos getting down and rapping..this was before before the other shyt..

Lewis Black

Superstar
Daps
what? watch? sorry but do u know anything about the peace treaty in NY during 1971? it was blacks and plenty of latinos getting down and rapping..this was before before the other shyt..

Blacks and Latinos lived together but it was black people who created everything. Even the famous latin breakdancer crazy legs said at the beginning of hip hop most latinos were hesitant to join because it was seen as a "Moreno thing/music/dance" by other Latinos.

It's like me cooking a meal and I invite you to my house to eat. You participated in eating the meal but not creating it lol

Luck

The one true gym gawd...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Like I said before, Latinos are opportunistic and will latch on to any race when there's something to be gained from it

They claim black and culture vulture when it's cool and when that isn't hot they have "European ancestors" and claim that shyt.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
Blacks and Latinos lived together but it was black people who created everything. Even the famous latin breakdancer crazy legs said at the beginning of hip hop most latinos were hesitant to join because it was seen as a "Moreno thing/music/dance" by other Latinos.

It's like me cooking a meal and I invite you to my house to eat. You participated in eating the meal but not creating it lol
you had latinos on that rah rah shyt for sure but don't ignore a huge lot in the east who were down and built with black folks, on the street and in prisons..

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
Like I said before, Latinos are opportunistic and will latch on to any race when there's something to be gained from it

They claim black and culture vulture when it's cool and when that isn't hot they have "European ancestors" and claim that shyt.
generalising but also true as many other folks will do the same damn thing.

_Anghellic_

Tia Mowry Bandwagon
Daps
Reppin
The Dirty South

you had latinos on that rah rah shyt for sure but don't ignore a huge lot in the east who were down and built with black folks, on the street and in prisons..
Latinos just so happened to be living in the vicinity of black people during the inception of Hip-Hop. Anybody that says otherwise is just spitting some revisionist history.

Luck

The one true gym gawd...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
generalising but also true as many other folks will do the same damn thing.

Many other folks? Only people that can get away with this shyt is mixed breeds and Afro Latinos which are basically the same thing

You'll have black as night Latinos not claiming being black

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
hip hop always been a black thing in my eyes even tho a few latin rappers do their thing. that shyt getting wack anyway :camby: