Late 91/92 WWF was prime WWF fukkery

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Yea, it's some bad stuff in there. The one thing i did like was that they didn't tire out their characters on Raw. Different guys would be in the main event every week. The difference between a taped one hour show and a live three hour show is night and day. Those matches aren't great, but I didn't lose interest as quick as I have today.
I think the other thing was the business model at the time was at the tail end of when house shows were still the main bread and butter and Raw/SuperStars were just there to promote house shows and PPVs. Important guys like Bret Hart, HBK, and Diesel only showed up live like once a month :mjlol:

Hell, Raw was prettyy much the B show and more important shyt happened on Superstars. Once the syndication market for all of TV went to shyt that's when the emphasis got put on Raw. And then Eric Bischoff upped the ante with Nitro, having big angles and shyt happening every week, so WWF had to follow suit.

hazardous

All Star
Daps
Wait.. Sid was a face at one point? I only remember him as a really evil super heel (like vs Hogan).
Yeah when he came in he was a face. You could even see in the clip with Jake crashing the wedding that he fights him off with a chair. IIRC he was actually feuding with Jake right after that happened, then he tore his bicep, and Savage got put in his spot instead.

Then when he returned up until Royal Rumble 92 he was getting cheered.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
the height of my wrestling fandom, especially WWF. started watching in spring '91.

yea, the most f*ckery came at the last 5 months of the year. but the whole year was cooking.

this happened in the spring, and this was the beginning of the end for jake Roberts' face run.

Where should I start on The Network?

you might as well start from the top of the year.
sensational sherri trying seduce the warrior at the royal rumble had me like :dwillhuh: as a kid when I saw the tape. then savage interfering in the chip match and cracking warrior over the head with the septa.

sgt slaughter's transitional title run was 100% f*ckery. they cant even re-hash some of the stuff he was doing right about now. burning flags and all that.

plus, the warrior/taker feud with the house show bodybag matches jumped off in the spring, along with Hogan/slaughter's desert storm bouts.

summerslam '91 was hard.

legion of doom was the hardest out.

Bret got that world title win pretty much outta nowhere

Shawn somehow got over using a backdrop as a finisher

ehh. for what its worth, that backdrop was a more credible finisher than the chick-kick.

as for bret, they should've gave the belt to warrior or mr perfect. well warrior ended up bouncing again, but still. bret becoming champion in '92 was meh.

The damn shame is that the Network still doesn't have Superstars up, which is where a lot of these big angles happened.

I don't think they view that show as a priority to the network because all the major happenings on the Saturday morning shows were highlighted on wwf primetime.

but yea, for the full feel of the era, they gotta start uploading shows like superstars & wrestling challenge. especially if you were a kid like me - I rarely ever made it thru a full show of primetime. usually fell asleep within the 1st 15-30 minutes.

they didn't show any of those 80s/early '90s Saturday morning WWF shows on the old on-demand channel either.

Wait.. Sid was a face at one point? I only remember him as a really evil super heel (like vs Hogan).

he came in as a face. and I think he came in injured.

by the time he started wrestling, his face run was brief. I just remember the royal rumble, and then the SNME tag match when he turned on the huckster.

my earliest memories of wrestling in this thread here

I thought you were like 14.

Last edited:

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
Heel Sgt Slaughter was cutting some of the most psychotic promos ever...breh came off as legit insane

Also this was around the time (at least according to Prichard's podcast) that they wanted him to burn the American flag on TV :mjlol:

Then within a couple of months he was back being a babyface:dwillhuh:

I can't even remember how they made that transition.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Heel Sgt Slaughter was cutting some of the most psychotic promos ever...breh came off as legit insane

Also this was around the time (at least according to Prichard's podcast) that they wanted him to burn the American flag on TV :mjlol:

shyt it got slaughter his WWF title..slaughter was underrated in the ring

e11635e4982e460d3d85ecf71769d69d.jpg

this fukkery :bryan:...dude was receiving death threats over it

sgt-slaughter-112115-wwe-ftr_oblan74j29cp1baowhx1w8lo7.jpg

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio

all it took was a run in and a promo afterwards

Rhyme n Tekniq

Superstar
Daps
yo one of my 1st memories was of Warrior getting stomped by taker and Jake and puking because of Papa Shango. IT was so early in my life I thought I only imagined it. I had to be like 3 or 4 at the time

Nostalgia....:wow:

ill_will82

What you see, is what you get
Daps
Say what? WWF 1994 and 1995 was horse shyt.

Late '92 - 95 WWF was bad. '96 was good for WWF w/HBK as champ b/c we got a break from Bret being in the main event for 8 months (Vince was starting to run him into the ground imo). I know WCW was winning in the ratings with the nWo but WWF was at least getting fresh air w/Sid, Ahmed Johnson, Vader, Mankind/Taker feud, & Austin/Hart feud starting at the end of '96.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Late '92 - 95 WWF was bad. '96 was good for WWF w/HBK as champ b/c we got a break from Bret being in the main event for 8 months (Vince was starting to run him into the ground imo). I know WCW was winning in the ratings with the nWo but WWF was at least getting fresh air w/Sid, Ahmed Johnson, Vader, Mankind/Taker feud, & Austin/Hart feud starting at the end of '96.
The best things about 96 was Austin developing, Razor, and Shawn being exposed as a non top guy. Vader got fukked over..that wasnt good. Mankind push came out of nowhere....Taker was getting jobbed alot for Foley.

ill_will82

What you see, is what you get
Daps
The best things about 96 was Austin developing, Razor, and Shawn being exposed as a non top guy. Vader got fukked over..that wasnt good. Mankind push came out of nowhere....Taker was getting jobbed alot for Foley.

I think the best things about '96 were Austin losing DiBiase as manager, Shawn winning the belt, Taker/Mankind feud, Ahmed winning the IC Title, & Sid finally winning the WWF Title.

Like I said before, in 1996 WWF was good but it was an improvement year. WCW was still beating that ass while WWE still had cartoon gimmick guys. That Shawn/Vader match was bad for how it ended due to the politics and Shawn threatening to get Vader fired. I think it was already established that Scott Hall wasn't a top guy in WWF when all they did with him after the Spring of '94 was taking the IC Title off him and putting it back on him.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
I think the best things about '96 were Austin losing DiBiase as manager, Shawn winning the belt, Taker/Mankind feud, Ahmed winning the IC Title, & Sid finally winning the WWF Title.

Like I said before, in 1996 WWF was good but it was an improvement year. WCW was still beating that ass while WWE still had cartoon gimmick guys. That Shawn/Vader match was bad for how it ended due to the politics and Shawn threatening to get Vader fired. I think it was already established that Scott Hall wasn't a top guy in WWF when all they did with him after the Spring of '94 was taking the IC Title off him and putting it back on him.
Who cares what they did with Hall. I dont give a fukk what some old man thinks is right for what's on top. He didnt even know Hall was doing the Tony Montana ripoff during the Razor run...that's crazy. So him pushing a less over homosexual over Razor is precisely the kind of decision making that allowed for Hall to leave and take over pro wrestling in 96 breaking records and doing sell outs every week and month while Shawn accomplished the gay ass "boyhood dream" storyline where he had that old man as a manager. Lame as fukk. The reason why there was a need for Steve Austin was because Shawn Michaels couldnt hack it and get it done.