Late ’16 Sales Downturn Told Marvel ‘People Didn't Want Any More Diversity’

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
Divided_We_Stand.jpg

Late ’16 Sales Downturn Told Marvel ‘People Didn't Want Any More Diversity’ - UPDATED With New Marvel Statement

Sales are down because Marfools keep changing race/sex of already existing characters to nonwhites. And you know what I think? This is GOOD. White creators are doing this. It sickens me they feel to change the race and hope they will ride the cocktails of his name to the new character. fukk that, create an original character.

@IllustratorMike @satam55 @BXKingPin82

And all the rest of you marfool fans

Last edited:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Divided_We_Stand.jpg

Late ’16 Sales Downturn Told Marvel ‘People Didn't Want Any More Diversity’ - UPDATED With New Marvel Statement

Sales are down because Marfools keep changing race/sex of already existing characters to nonwhites. And you know what I think? This is GOOD. White creators are doing this. It sickens me they feel to change the race and hope they will ride the cocktails of his name to the new character. fukk that's, create an original character.

:yeshrug: We had a couple of threads discussing this a couple months ago. Let me go find them.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
But that article didn't tell you exactly why they were rebooting, even though they hinted it. This one specifically tells you why and it's confirmed if the in-your-face diversity to old characters.

@MartyMcFly Posted another more detailed article in the 8th post of that thread:

Marvel's Big Plans For 2017 - Never Mind The Politics - Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movie, TV News
This weekend, the X-Men comics’ new lead writer Marc Guggenheim and Arrow co-creator/showrunner gave a very telling interview. Talking about the future of the X-Men characters at Marvel he said “It’s more about the X-Men as heroes than the X-Men as a struggling minority fighting for their very existence… That existential crisis is tabled for the time being”.

During their publication, and especially during their eighties revival with Chris Claremont at the helm, the X-Men, New Mutants and X-Factor turned the comics into a social parable, playing up as a power fantasy for oppressed minorities, and giving others an insight into social issues that they might have otherwise been immune from.

Of late this kind of storytelling has become more pronounced, probably kicked off with the likes of The Authority, Ultimates and Civil War, with more recent stories in comics such as Captain America, The Champions and Ms. Marvel wearing their politics firmly on their spandex sleeves.

32_005-e1486403583887-600x430.jpg

There has also been reaction from some fan communities and retailers to these kind of stories as having no place in superhero comics, despite all the many examples that have preceded it. Maybe it’s a little more obvious now? Maybe everyone is interpreting everything politically? Maybe fans wish for a time when they didn’t realise their superhero comics had political elements?

Either way, Marvel Comics has been a focal point for this kind of discussion. And last week’s Marvel creative summit I am told by well connected sources who have proved themselves in that past there was more of a focus on what DC Comics internally called “meat and potatoes” comics that preceded their doubling down on the popular characters and bringing back old favourite takes with DC Rebirth.

I am told, as Marvel brings back the X-Men line with a bang, to expect a return to more of a status quo for titles such as Thor, Iron Man, Hulk and more. A more familiar looking Marvel Universe by the autumn – although, just as with Captain America, as classic-look-characters return, expect new characters to keep a number of their books.

12_029-e1486403716781-600x754.jpg

I am told that Marvel knows that the upcoming Secret Empire is probably too political for some readers given this current climate but they are in too deep to change direction on it now. They also believe firmly that it’s a quality book – though if people can’t get behind writer Nick Spencer‘s exploration of current politics to read it, that might be an issue. And, just as with recent Captain America issues and the recent Civil War II: The Oath, guaranteed to needle at people’s political beliefs – whatever they are.

I am told to expect that Secret Empire will be a bit of a last hurrah for this kind of storytelling from Marvel for a while. A little how Marvel writers were told to get the use of the Marvel 616 dimensional nomenclature out of their system before it was done away with for good…

IllustratorMike

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Native of the NYC, getting fed in the Big D!
To some extent sure... but you gotta figure people are tired of all the god damn events. There's like an event every 3 months
It's like the 90s all over again. Gimmicks and stuntin' over substance. Already gotta whole long box fulla that bullshyt alone in the back closet. :snoop:
Like you @Rainman I never cared for the PC pandering of characters when there's a bevy of creations already black at the bottom of a pile :beli:

parallax

Superstar
Daps
civil war 2 fukked a lot of that shyt up more than diversity issues. i pretty much pulled out when i saw they were gonna try that shyt again, but with stark and carol. and they havent fukking stopped with the events.

It's like the 90s all over again. Gimmicks and stuntin' over substance. Already gotta whole long box fulla that bullshyt alone in the back closet. :snoop:
Like you @Rainman I never cared for the PC pandering of characters when there's a bevy of creations already black at the bottom of a pile :beli:

i said this on another site when miles came around. its like the only way theyre willing to push a black character is if theyre attached to a preexisting legacy. and then there are characters that just get put out for others. eli got dropped and they dont even seem to even want to bring him back

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Divided_We_Stand.jpg

Sales are down because Marfools keep changing race/sex of already existing characters to nonwhites. And you know what I think? This is GOOD. White creators are doing this. It sickens me they feel to change the race and hope they will ride the cocktails of his name to the new character. fukk that, create an original character.

This. I ABSOULETLY HATE when Marvel & DC racebend (or Genderbend) a character for movie & TV shows.

Movie & TV shows are a perfect time to give actual black characters from the comics some shine, even if that means giving them a bigger role than do in the comics.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

I don't mind them doing what they can to balance the scales in comics so if that's "pc" shyt then so be it. What I DO mind is the constant crossover shyt and constantly rebooting universes even if its just soft reboots. let some shyt play out. Stop giving me an event every few months it seems and then when you do, they're delayed for months AND they're ass cheeks

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
I don't fault the racebending too much... One of these threads.. I think it might have been in the root talked about this.