Larenz Tate: "Hollywood Finds More Value In Black British Actors; Theres a Decline In Black American Actors Getting Work!"

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nollywood, Bollywood, etc are doing just fine. Folks dumping plenty of content on Tubi, there's KweliTV, etc. Hell Tyler Perry has built an empire. We lose sight when we turn something about having our own into how we'll compete.

Bollywood and Nollywood aren’t competing with Hollywood. They’re just catering to their demographic within their respective countries. And there is a reason why Tyler produces a certain type of content and doesn’t go outside his lane when it comes to black cinema.

Last edited:

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
I can't stand this fukk shyt :martin: In the wake of Mike Brown/Ferguson, people were talking building and supporting our OWN businesses and platforms... fast forward and folks are asking why Hollywood won't hire them :what: and when people DO get roles people don't care.

They'll skip over Chadwick Boseman in Ma Rainey to complain about Daniel Kaluuya in Judas And The Black Messiah. Skip over Isiah Washington DIRECTING PRODUCING AND STARRING in a film on Bass Reeves to cry that the hand model in the latest Aveeno commercial is "non FBA", etc. The shyt reeks of WEAKNESS. Larenz gets a pass but any non-acting, Internet Ass Muhfukkas... :hhh:
Man shut your bytch ass up. Daniel shouldn’t have been the doing a movie about Fred Hampton, a person he never heard of and said he never even got or understood the black panther cause.

It’s clown goofy ass shyt and goofies like you.

King Poetic

A.K.A. Curve
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southern California
We have a few talented brothers here, but overall u are just seeing a whole lot of bad acting and bad movies on the American side for years…

The Jeffrey Wright types ( my favorite black actor) , Chadwick type of acting u get once every 4 or 5 years from black Americans..plus it doesn’t help with all these low budget tubi and Tyler perry movies and the fact reality tv has come in and motherfukkers looking goofy

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
I was expecting some ignorant shyt but his is one of the best takes I've heard on this subject.

The Sony email leaks confirmed what was rumored for generations. Black Americans don't sell well to non American audiences unless they're doing Black shyt. Even then, its a mid response. Black British folks are already international and often time have starred in international films. The typical Black American actor usually makes an appearance in a film or show but doing Black American shyt.

We may be the most imitated people on the planet but non Blacks Americans are rarely exposed to us outside of music and entertainment. Some cacs in America are rarely exposed to Black Americans.

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
He's right.... Hollywood like the fact that they can promote black British actors because they can do American dialect well so the most Americans assume that actor is American until they actually hear them talk and it makes them more intriguing lmaoo

Honestly Hollywood got that shyt from HBO... The wire and Oz cast was damn near 60% British actors lol... nobody knew that shyt until they actually sat down for interviews

parallax

Superstar
Daps
ive been asking for a while who these top british actors that are blowing their american counterparts out of the water when it comes to acting like they claim.

He's right.... Hollywood like the fact that they can promote black British actors because they can do American dialect well so the most Americans assume that actor is American until they actually hear them talk and it makes them more intriguing lmaoo

Honestly Hollywood got that shyt from HBO... The wire and Oz cast was damn near 60% British actors lol... nobody knew that shyt until they actually sat down for interviews

the wire? outside of mculty and stringer what other brits were there?

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
Bollywood and Bollywood aren’t competing with Hollywood. They’re just catering to their demographic within their respective countries. And there is a reason why Tyler produces a certain type of content and doesn’t go outside his lane when it comes to black cinema.
Have you watched any of their movies? If not, how do you know about them?
Man shut your bytch ass up. Daniel shouldn’t have been the doing a movie about Fred Hampton, a person he never heard of and said he never even got or understood the black panther cause.

It’s clown goofy ass shyt and goofies like you.
I'm a clown cuz I'd rather support our own shyt than cry about movie roles :mjlol: That movie came out last year. It's stream and available for purchase/rent. The check is already in his account. And you're STILL crying like that's gonna reverse any of that :what:

Kooley_High

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da South
British actors (black and white) typically have more experience and better training than American actors. Don’t know if it’s true, but It was pointed out in an article that we overvalue superficial things like looks at the expense of skills in the U.S.

We need to bring back the arts in school and community theaters where actors can receive training and experience.

Thats what ive been hearing as well. Its a trend with American vs. British actors.

I currently have no problem with it overall, as I see it as competition, but i understand why a lot of AA actors are irked by it. America just has a better black film industry than any other country atm and an audience thats more use to seeing blacks on screen/black stories being told. Its just a better oppurtunity for foriegn blacks to make a career in acting here atm, and its also a potential jumpoff point to bigger hollywood roles. But of course these roles are limited.

I think a lot of the tension would be lessened with more development in black media in their home countries. In this case the UK. But its possible there are limiting factors holding it back (lack of interest from a nonblack audience, smaller black population, etc).

TallMan_J

Retired from TheColi
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Retired
I watched Snowfall. They’re more talented as whole. I’m saying that as a proud Black American. There’s other examples too.

16820090912802.jpg

I don’t know how they’re training these nikkas in those British acting schools, but their work speaks for itself. That being said, my favorite actors/actresses are Black American.